Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 10:42 AM   #16
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Best way is watter and.. I can't find the word, that "soap" you use to clean dishes, ...
detergent
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #17
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I've been using Bausch & Lomb Sight Savers lens cleaners to clean the screen on my Sony reader for over a year now without any problems. Looking at the box these are pre-moistened with isopropanol.

That was very good of Amazon.
isopropanol is an alcohol. The Sony reader must have a glass screen if it hasn't been affected so far.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #18
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
The optician advised me not to use cleaning wipes to clean my glasses.
I agree with that. I stay away from all the glasses/glass/screen cleaners. They might work efficiently at first, but they remove anything and everything that coats the glass/screen afterwards. The one time I tried using it, it removed the anti-glare coat from my glasses after a few months.

A simple microfiber cloth works well for me. Even on the greasy bits. Just make sure to wash or replace the cloth every now and then.
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:28 AM   #19
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
Some of the things sold for cleaning eyeglasses are pure evil. Every winter I go to the motorcycle shows, and there are always three of four booths where people are selling something called Zook. They're staffed by young men with microphones who will loudly accost any glasses wearer in the crowd walking by, and DEMAND to be allowed to clean their glasses. They put you on the spot in front of the crowd. They ruined the coating on my glasses, once. Since then I am very rude to them when they badger me, and who cares if everyone is looking? The crowd deserves to know that the stuff is destructive.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #20
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
What's with this fanatical screen-cleaning ?

I must not get out enough or something, 'cos the most extreme thing I've used is a dry micro-fibre, including sneezes - usually me shirt-tail does the trick, or a tissue..... I don't recognise these smudged, gunky, dirty screens on any of the things with visuals I use....
As for using a cleaner - well, you've all been watching too many guilt orientated ad's - "are your dishes as clean as your neighbours, or your TV covered with plague bacillus...." etc..

I mean, me & my 650 went to a Bad Shepherds gig last week, and read in the intermission, including in the bar, and managed not to get anything on it there......

It's not that I claim to be a clean-freak, just worried I'm missing experiences that will dirtify my screens......

I did have a sheltered childhood................
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #21
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
isopropanol is an alcohol. The Sony reader must have a glass screen if it hasn't been affected so far.
Yes I know that isopropanol is an alcohol. It's a Sony 900 with a touch screen, so maybe I have just been fortunate so far. I need something more than just a dry cloth though between eating while reading and the touch screen. Wonder if there are packaged wipe moistened with water out there?
Old 10-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #22
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
The only thing I've ever used on my displays have been things specifically designed for displays or glasses. Even still, I am hesitant to use them, and also use very little. Best thing to do is to use a microfiber cloth dry. If you do need a wet cleaner, put a tiny bit on to a cloth, and then wipe with the cloth. When I've used a wet cleaner on my reader, I used a prepackaged wetwipe meant for glasses, which was mostly water and isopropyl alcohol, and used very lightly. eInk screens are glass based, and mine doesn't have any touch layers, so it is relatively safe. I'd be resistant to try that on ones with touch interfaces, with possible exception of ones with IR touch interfaces.

I work with refurbished VOIP phones at work, and those displays are very temperamental when it comes to cleaning. One of the largest issues I see is someone puts too much cleaner on, it leaks into the side of the display, where it gets sucked up by the substrates of the display. Some displays have corrugated layers, and so their sides act a bit like straws, and draw in the moisture. The other huge issue that comes into play is the coatings on the displays, for antiglare and the like. Those can be eaten or rubbed off, and look like crap afterwards.

Last edited by Hellmark; 10-03-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #23
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
i was thinking of using one of my eyeglass cleaning wipes on the screen, i think i'll just invest in a little microfiber cloth now. thanks for the warning.
Strictly speaking, you should be using the microfiber cloth on the eyeglasses, too, you know. (The good ones are washable, too, so go to town.)
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #24
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Strictly speaking, you should be using the microfiber cloth on the eyeglasses, too, you know. (The good ones are washable, too, so go to town.)
The biggest problem for glasses is dust, which you shouldn't rub anything on them when dust is on them.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #25
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
What brand of LCD cleaner does that?
It's called "Clean Dr." screen cleaning fluid, free of alcohol & ammonia.

The eReader is still usable, but the originally pleasing blue-grey appearance has taken on an a bit of a sepia tint. It's enough to be distracting, and it slightly degrades the display contrast. Enough to create a little eye strain where before there was none.

I'd guess that millions of people worldwide use a commercial cleaner and are pleased with the result. However, the Amazon service representative wasn't surprised by my experience. He said the screen is made of a different material than LCD screens and that the use of screen cleaners can indeed damage the display.

My message is to people who haven't yet used a cleaner on their device. To them, I say, why take the risk, especially if a dry or damp cloth can clean the screen to your satisfaction.

Like I said, if you know that your cleaner doesn't damage your device, then by all means enjoy it. If you've got an unknown variable, either cleaner or device, then a little prudence can go a long way. I didn't even try a plain cloth. I jumped straight to my familiar LCD cleaner.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #26
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I have worn glasses since I was eight years old (though I have worn contacts for every day use for the past 25 years)

One thing I was taught and works equally as well on all my screened devices (ereader, iphone, iPad etc) is simply using a glasses cleaning cloth and fogging the screen with my breath. Just enough moisture to clean the screen nicely.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #27
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
i was thinking of using one of my eyeglass cleaning wipes on the screen, i think i'll just invest in a little microfiber cloth now. thanks for the warning.
I don't want to lull anyone into a false sense of security, but I have been using eyeglass cleaning wipes and spray with my ereaders and all three of them are fine... iPad as well...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:55 PM   #28
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I once tried to clean fingerprints off a CD with an alcohol swab, not a good idea.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:45 AM   #29
bookmeal
Connoisseur
bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: benQ
Dust: Dust blower
Finger print: a soft cloth, for cleaning eye-glasses
bookmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #30
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
It's called "Clean Dr." screen cleaning fluid, free of alcohol & ammonia.
Does it have a strong scent? I found one Clean Dr product on Amazon com and some kinda frightening reviews about it.

Well, in any case, you shouldn't use it anymore even if it worked so far for your LCD. A cleaner that does this to any display is not safe to use.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clean, cleaner, cleaning, screen