Notices

Old 07-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
jomaweb
Connoisseur
jomaweb is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
Calibre cut lines in a converted CHM to MOBI

Hi all

I've converted a CHM file to MOBI via calibre, but I've noticed the lines are cut.
Playing around in my Kindle with the font size I can read almost the full line but this is a useless workaround.

any suggestion?
jomaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaweb View Post
I've converted a CHM file to MOBI via calibre, but I've noticed the lines are cut.
Playing around in my Kindle with the font size I can read almost the full line but this is a useless workaround.

any suggestion?
Lines are cut? I assume you mean they run off the screen. I think this happens when the html in question uses <pre> tags. I think these tags are used to prevent code examples from wrapping and get converted intact.

You could run the conversion with a directory in debug then go into the html provided there and see what is in the code that is preventing it from wrapping.

Update: You could always convert the tables manually to images and size them to fit your reader.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-09-2010 at 08:57 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:00 AM   #3
jomaweb
Connoisseur

yes. That's what I mean.

so, deleting all that "pre" tags will solve thi issue?
Old 07-09-2010, 05:02 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Convert the pre tags into div tags.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:35 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Convert the pre tags into div tags.
Nice tip.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:54 AM   #6
jomaweb
Connoisseur

I've replaced every "pre" tag with "div" (and "/pre" with "/div") but this did not solve the issue.

Calibre keeps converting to mobi with the lines running off the screen.

any other tool or workaround?

(uploaded ePub obtained in Sigil after replacing the tags)
Attached Files
File Type: epub stanek.epub (578.5 KB, 274 views)

Last edited by jomaweb; 07-09-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:53 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I've replaced every "pre" tag with "div" (and "/pre" with "/div") but this did not solve the issue.

Calibre keeps converting to mobi with the lines running off the screen.

any other tool or workaround?
I'm guessing your tables are running off the screen? In theory you could convert the settings from px to % for widths but that's too much for me to talk about.

You could select linearize tables under conversion - look & feel but it'll be ugly.

Good Luck.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
jomaweb
Connoisseur

I think it's not a table issue. The tables look great. It's the normal text that appears running out of the screen.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's not just <pre> any tag with whitespace: pre in the css will be rendered like a <pre>
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
jomaweb
Connoisseur

Deleted any reference in the code to any occurrence of "pre". Tags, CSS, ...anywhere.

Still getting the "hidden lines" issue.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
there is something in your input file that is specifying non reflowable layout for text.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:41 PM   #12
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Deleted any reference in the code to any occurrence of "pre". Tags, CSS, ...anywhere.

Still getting the "hidden lines" issue.
I glanced through the epub, and saw lots of very wide tables that are offscreen, even on my widescreen monitor. I looked inside, and it appeared that they were in table data and/or row tags, but without the surrounding table tags. It looks like a tables issue to me, although if you point to a particular non-table bit of text, I'm sure someone will look at it. I'd try linearize tables to make sure that doesn't fix it, and also check to make sure you don't have some malformed html relating to tables.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
CHM & wiki can be some of the most awful code around.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote