Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-02-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
JBlyth
Connoisseur
JBlyth doesn't litterJBlyth doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch, Ipaq 214, HTC WildFire Android
Changing Margin Settings to use full width of the Screen???

I have upgraded to the new firmware, which is a big improvement, but I find there is still a lot of wasted space on the left and right margins - particularly EPUBs loaded via ADE.

With CALIBRE, I can reduce the margins to 1cm, but it would be nice to use as much of the width as possible. The free books seem to have a margin of 6mm, but aren't justified, which is a pain.

Does anyone know what the actual minimum margins are?

It would be REALLY nice if this could be set from the KOBO itself, so we didn't need to fiddle with every book....

John in Sunny Carnarvon - Western Australia
JBlyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:35 PM   #2
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
KoboBulkFixer can make my book just fit to the screen.
but I only tried this to one book.
and it only took me 5 seconds to fo the fixing.
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2010, 01:35 AM   #3
kiwikobo
Enthusiast
kiwikobo doesn't litterkiwikobo doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Yup, all you need to do is edit the CSS file. Kobobulkfixer will delete the entire CSS file if you ask it to, but this is sometimes more overkill than required (and will give you the default Kobo margins which might not be zero). A better solution is to edit the stylesheet.css file, removing any "margin" comments and replacing them with "p {margin: 0; margin-top: 0.5em;} This gives the maximum possible display size and half-spacing between paragraphs.
kiwikobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:03 AM   #4
JBlyth
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwikobo View Post
Yup, all you need to do is edit the CSS file. Kobobulkfixer will delete the entire CSS file if you ask it to, but this is sometimes more overkill than required (and will give you the default Kobo margins which might not be zero). A better solution is to edit the stylesheet.css file, removing any "margin" comments and replacing them with "p {margin: 0; margin-top: 0.5em;} This gives the maximum possible display size and half-spacing between paragraphs.
Thanks,

I have been down the road of deleting of the CSS in various ways, and also setting margins via CALIBRE, however, it seems that although the HTML margins are set to zero, their is still 1cm of margins on both sides.

I looked at this issue with Sigil too so I could see the actual @page settings....

Old 07-03-2010, 04:14 AM   #5
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlyth View Post
I have been down the road of deleting of the CSS in various ways, and also setting margins via CALIBRE, however, it seems that although the HTML margins are set to zero, their is still 1cm of margins on both sides.
I don't think that you can entirely get rid of the margins.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2010, 05:06 AM   #6
kiwikobo
Enthusiast

No, obviously there is some room between the 'displayable' area of the screen and the edge of the bezel. But setting margins to zero will remove as much as is possible. Running at zero (for documents I've created in Sigil, so they have no other CSS), I find there's around 2mm gap at the top, 4mm each side, and 10mm at the bottom (including the document name and page/chapter number). If you have more gap than this then there is a margin set somewhere and it might be worth adjusting it. Obviously every millimetre of extra usable screen space is worth having!
Old 07-03-2010, 06:50 AM   #7
JBlyth
Connoisseur

A good SOLUTION!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial View Post
I don't think that you can entirely get rid of the margins.
I had a bit more of a look at the file structure of an ADE file, and found that there is another STYLE type file called page-template.xpgt.

This has some margin settings in it as well, and I found by altering them to 0em, that I could get left and right margins of .6cm, which seems to be the smallest possible.

Now if we could get thekidintheclock of KoboBulkFixer fame to work his magic on the .xpgt as well, I would be truly happy. I found I also had to run the EPUB through CALIBRE to get the full justification I wanted, but perhaps we could modify some in the .xpgt file to get that.

What does seem to work is to just copy a "corrected" .xpgt file into the EPUB "zip" structure. It has worked so far in the couple I have tried.....

Old 07-03-2010, 09:34 AM   #8
JBlyth
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlyth View Post
I had a bit more of a look at the file structure of an ADE file, and found that there is another STYLE type file called page-template.xpgt.

This has some margin settings in it as well, and I found by altering them to 0em, that I could get left and right margins of .6cm, which seems to be the smallest possible.
After some more experimentation..... NOTE:- I now have doubts about the method suggested below. I now think it is best to REMOVE the page-template.xpgt and full justify with CALIBRE. It may be wise to treat this all as experimental!

It seems that you can also DELETE the style file page-template.xpgt without causing any issues, but if you want to have full text justification, you can replace the file with this data. Just take care that each line is complete in your new file after copying it from here.

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<ade:template xmlns:ade="http://ns.adobe.com/2006/ade" xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<fo:layout-master-set>
<fo:simple-page-master master-name="full_page" margin-bottom="0pt" margin-top="0pt" margin-left="0pt" margin-right="0pt">
<fo:region-body/>
</fo:simple-page-master>
<fo:simple-page-master master-name="single_column" margin-bottom="0em" margin-top="0em" margin-left="0em" margin-right="0em" text-align: justify; text-justify: newspaper>
<fo:region-body/>
<fo:simple-page-master master-name="two_column" margin-bottom="0em" margin-top="0em" margin-left="0em" margin-right="0em" text-align: justify; text-justify: newspaper>
<fo:region-body column-count="2" column-gap="10pt"/>
<fo:simple-page-master master-name="three_column" margin-bottom="0em" margin-top="0em" margin-left="0em" margin-right="0em" text-align: justify; text-justify: newspaper>
<fo:region-body column-count="3" column-gap="10pt"/>
<foage-sequence-master>
<fo:repeatable-page-master-alternatives>
<fo:conditional-page-master-reference master-reference="three_column" ade:min-page-width="80em"/>
<fo:conditional-page-master-reference master-reference="two_column" ade:min-page-width="50em"/>
<fo:conditional-page-master-reference master-reference="single_column"/>
</fo:repeatable-page-master-alternatives>
</foage-sequence-master>
</fo:layout-master-set>
</ade:template>

Last edited by JBlyth; 07-03-2010 at 10:32 AM. Reason: I have some doubts about the best method!
Old 07-04-2010, 05:38 AM   #9
kiwikobo
Enthusiast

Yup, just bin all that nonsense...
Old 07-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #10
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
With "Alter the stylesheet" in the option, KoboBulkFixer can remove the margin; and I can't see any other change to the book.
so, I think KoboBulkFixer is perfect for deleting the margin, Am I missing anything?
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote