Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
SD Memory Cards

Which brand of SD memory cards do you use & what is the maximum size to get for the PRS-600.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
Pierre-Olivier
Enthusiast
Pierre-Olivier began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux 3
I think you can use up to 16 GB SD card (SDHC in fact). But I wonder How much time, the reader will take to manage such a huge amount of book, since in mine, with only 600 MB used on a 4 GB card, it takes more than 4 minutes to sort the content. Very annoying !
Pierre-Olivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
If you decide to go with the smaller 2 gig cards my advice is to go out there now and buy what you need. My Palm Pilot and GPS will only accept 2 gigs and they are getting harder to find as the larger cards are coming down in price.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-Olivier View Post
I think you can use up to 16 GB SD card (SDHC in fact). But I wonder How much time, the reader will take to manage such a huge amount of book, since in mine, with only 600 MB used on a 4 GB card, it takes more than 4 minutes to sort the content. Very annoying !
It's all about the amount of eBooks, rather than the size. To find new books, and update the index, the Reader needs to find where the new files are, and then /open/ up the ePub to get at the metadata. This can be pretty slow depending on how they do it.

I've got a 16GB SDHC card that was originally in my 505 that is now in my 900 (and I do know it works with the 600 when I played with one of those for awhile). It mostly holds comics though. I use a smaller MSPD I've had lying around for my books.

Last edited by Kolenka; 01-12-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:09 AM   #5
Pierre-Olivier
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
It's all about the amount of eBooks, rather than the size. To find new books, and update the index, the Reader needs to find where the new files are, and then /open/ up the ePub to get at the metadata. This can be pretty slow depending on how they do it.

I've got a 16GB SDHC card that was originally in my 505 that is now in my 900 (and I do know it works with the 600 when I played with one of those for awhile). It mostly holds comics though. I use a smaller MSPD I've had lying around for my books.
Yes I understand, but I think that the reader do that each time he's disconnected from the computer. It'a a bit stupid. It should be done only if something has been change in the Library.

Instead of asking the Reader to build (sloooooooowly) its own index, why not having given this task to the main computer with the factory library Manager (or Calibre), since most of the user add their books using one of them ... Once books are stored in the Reader, building of the index by the computer and transfer to the Reader.
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Unless you do at least a basic scan of the cards, how do you know something changed? The easy answer is: you don't. You have to compare what is on the card with the index, and add any missing entries, and remove entries that no longer have a file attached. The more books you have on the card, the longer this takes.

With the 900 at least, the first time I put books on a card, it did take a couple minutes to index a couple hundred books. After that though, the time it takes from a disconnect adding a couple new books is a lot less.

And you can't just tell Sony to push the building of the index to the desktop. That becomes unfair to users who don't have access to the Library app, and Sony cannot require a third party tool for their own device. They realize that is a minefield of PR problems and lost sales. Before the Mac version even came along, there was a bunch of us (myself included) who relied on being able to simply copy files across to keep using our 505s once they got ADE-authorized.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
my advice. use the main memory first. see how many books you can hold. seriously, do you need to carry 500 books with you at one time? are you reading them all? do you go months without getting near your computer to reload books. you don't have to carry the entire google library with you at all times, do you? (because i'm sure you're not dropping $1k for a few hundred new books for your new reader.)

using a SD card will slow down the reader, no way around it. the built in memory is sufficient to hold dozens of books. if you must have a SD card (skip the sony sticks) go with a $5 2G card, or 4G. anything above that is way overkill.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:44 AM   #8
Pierre-Olivier
Enthusiast

It's *your* opinion, scottjl. Mine is different. I want to have the most books possible in my Reader. And I'm very disappointed of the PRS-600 slowness. I'm just convinced that there's a way to do it much better than it is done at this time.

Why did you say to skip the sony sticks ?
Old 01-22-2010, 06:50 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-Olivier View Post
It's *your* opinion, scottjl. Mine is different.
I would strongly suggest that you take scott's advice seriously - he's giving you good advice there. The plain truth is that it's not feasible to have more than a few hundred books on the Reader, due to the "scan" done whenever you connect or disconnect USB, or insert a memory card. It's just too slow.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:53 AM   #10
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
+1 to HarryT's and scott's advice..... If your opinion is you, for some reason, have to carry around a few thousand books at any given time, then accept the reality that it will be slow.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:53 AM   #11
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
I bought an 8g card, and had a 1g card lying around the house and popped them into my reader when I got it, but haven't even put anything on them. I have 349 books on the main memory and still have just over 1/2 of the memory left. For myself, I can't see that I'll ever need to actually use the cards. However, most books I just delete after reading, as they're still on my laptop if I ever want to access them again. There are few books I actually want to re-read. However, my books are basic fiction, not textbooks or larger documents, so others may find the need of cards.
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #12
rkelac
rkelac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
I have a 4g card and it is filled with pictures and music. There doesn't seem much of a delay. I guess the index update time takes awhile just for ebooks.
rkelac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #13
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
-1 to advice on not carrying a lot of books... the main point is not to charge by USB if you want a lot of books on a card... Before modding my 505, I accepted that to have the 6K books on my card would give around a 3 hour rescan when disconnecting from USB so only used USB (or card reader with drag'n'drop) when adding books and did it last thing before sleeping (and connected to AC PSU) so would be ready to go next morning. I have 600 which I use for certain limited purposes and a 505 which goes everywhere with me...

For some reason there seem to be two types of users of eReaders who keep commenting on book quantities:
1. There's the "I only have books in internal memory/want afew on at a time and delete everything once read/never re-read." This group doesn't understand the second group and seems to find wanting a portable library to be unreasonable/unnatural and stupid. Usually hostile to second group.
2. People who expect to use capability of their eReader... it takes up to 16GB cards but it's not easy to use anywhere near their capacity. These are people who want to decide what they read when they are going to read rather than decide when loading books onto their eReader. They accept that others only want a few and it doesn't bother them but equally would like a simple return of respect for their requirements. Instead of accepting apparent limitations, these people look for solutions/workarounds...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:40 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
2. People who expect to use capability of their eReader... it takes up to 16GB cards but it's not easy to use anywhere near their capacity. These are people who want to decide what they read when they are going to read rather than decide when loading books onto their eReader. They accept that others only want a few and it doesn't bother them but equally would like a simple return of respect for their requirements. Instead of accepting apparent limitations, these people look for solutions/workarounds...
I'm certainly not hostile to that perspective - just curious about why someone for whom that is a requirement would buy a Sony. There are numerous devices on which you can carry around many thousands (or even tens of thousands) of books should you wish to do so, but the Sony isn't one. Why not choose a device on which it can be done?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #15
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
But it can be done... I've got 25K books running fine on a 505 and nearly 6k on a 600. The 600 takes a little more management, as I said, regarding adding books etc but fundamentally works fine and the PRS+ 505 is damn near ideal. As for why Sony... well perhaps the same reasons I have, I like the size, weight and ergonomics together with look and feel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm certainly not hostile to that perspective - just curious about why someone for whom that is a requirement would buy a Sony. There are numerous devices on which you can carry around many thousands (or even tens of thousands) of books should you wish to do so, but the Sony isn't one. Why not choose a device on which it can be done?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote