Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
Gnolive
Gnolive began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook pro 602 - Touch 622
Wrong author sorting order

Hello to all,
I'm running 4.2 on a 622 and I can't have the library sorted by author in correct order.

Precisely, when I select "group by author" and "sort by author", the top of the screen presents a sub-selection "All | A B C D…" for authors last name and, under that, it shows the names of the authors. But the sorting order is quite strange :
- when I ask for "All", I have all names sorted by FN LN (fisrt name, last name), no matter the first letter of LN,
- when I ask for "B", I have the names sorted by FN LN but limited to LN beginning with a "B".

Examples:
all -> Adolpho Bioy Casares, Alain Guyard, Alexandra David-Neel…
B -> Antoine Bello, Edward Bernays, Edward Bunker, Etienne de la Boetie…

I use Calibre to manage my library on my computer and to download the books to the Pocketbook. I use "author" and "author_sort" correctly… at least, I hope! I have phoned today to Pocketbook help and the answer is: there's nothing to do, nor to hope for. That's frustrating!

Of course, I know the trick: to send the data with a specific format, "{author_sort}/{series}/{series_index:0>2s} {title}" for instance, and to use the Pocketbook with it's library ordered by folder. It works perfectly. But I'd still like to use author sorting order.

Does anyone know a solution for this? I've tried to play with "author_sort" on Calibre, to use another sorting order, to impose it to the Pocketbook, but without success. I'm out of ideas, and Google was no help.

Thanks.
Gnolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
SIRSteiner
Nameless Being

Hello Gnolive,

I fill the metadata in calibre as follows: author = LN, FN and also the sort field and everything is fine.

Regards
Ronny
Advert
Old 11-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
Gnolive

Thanks for answering, SIRSteiner.

I will try your solution in the coming days. And I'll try to tweak it so I don't have to rename all my books. I'll tell about it here.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
Gnolive

SIRSteiner, your solution works perfectly.

As I didn't want to change the author's names of all my books, and as they are in the form "FN LN", I used the live conversion tool in Preferences/Metadate Plugboards. I asked it to upload books to my PocketBook that way: "any format:any device = ([{author_sort}] -> authors), ([{author_sort}] -> author_sort)". Et voilà!

Two remarks:
- The author of a book is displayed in the form "LN, FN". To me, this is a disappointment. I wanted to keep the form "FN LN".
- Finally, there is no real difference between this solution and the folder sorting method described higher.

I think there is no great difference with the folder sorting. On the plus side, you have direct access to the first letter of the LN. On the minus side, the author name is in an unnatural order.

I'm still looking for a better use of the Author Name sorting. On coming day, I'll test the way PocketBook generates the author's name.