Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #16
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Probably wouldn't work with the capacitive touch screen of the PW, would it?
I have one, and it works just fine with the paperwhite. I got it for my K3 originally, and stopped using it because I found that a regular ziploc bag worked just as well and wasn't as bulky. For my paperwhite, I put it into a gallon size bag with the sleep cover open, and I can not only read on it with the cover folded back using the touch screen, I can close the cover and the sleep function works.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #17
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I've always just kept my T1 its usual carry case and put the whole thing into a zip lock bag when I bring it to the beach. I take it out from the bag to read, and then put it back when I am done with it. Haven't had any problems with the sand getting into it.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #18
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
That is the difference between a calm and a windy beach, I suppose.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #19
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
It gets quite windy at the Jersey shore. Flying beach umbrellas are a common hazard.

Last edited by Xanthe; 06-08-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Yes, REI sells them. Do a search on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Version-Trendy...waterproof+bag

I use the trendy digital
I have a cheaper solution. You get multiple and can give them to friends. They are made by Glad.

http://www.amazon.com/Glad-Zipper-Fr...ad+zipper+bags
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #21
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You use what you are comfortable with, I will use what I am comfortable with.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #22
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
This is my solution, for bath time, pool side, or the beach. The screen is perfectly clear, and the touch is perfect, so there is no need to take it out of the seal, until it needs charging.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...89&postcount=1
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #23
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
This is my solution, for bath time, pool side, or the beach. The screen is perfectly clear, and the touch is perfect, so there is no need to take it out of the seal, until it needs charging.

So, just out of curiosity, and because I don't want to crack my screen by it being too tight, what setting do you put your vacuum sealer on? Moist? Is that a gallon size bag, or quart size? Oh, and which model food saver do you have?
When I go to the beach this fall I am seriously thinking of trying this.
Thanks for the info!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:36 AM   #24
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
So, just out of curiosity, and because I don't want to crack my screen by it being too tight, what setting do you put your vacuum sealer on? Moist? Is that a gallon size bag, or quart size? Oh, and which model food saver do you have?
Thanks for the info!
S
The model number is V2840, but I doubt it matters. On the poolside photo, I used the smaller quart sized roll, but it's hard to get the final seal really close, which is why there's an inch extra on one side. Next time I vacuum seal it, I plan on leaving a longer end to fold over. With the small end piece, it's harder to keep it folded back while I'm reading.

Look in my photos, I have a pic of my old Sony PRS-700 in a vacuum seal. As far as over vacuuming it, the only problem I ever had was because the buttons on the Sony 700 would become depressed. I would have to let out a little air, and try again, on the "moist" setting. The PPW has just one button on the bottom, where the seam is, so it's perfect for vacuum sealing because it's a difficult spot to make "snug" to the reader.

I did try to vacuum seal my Kindle 2 a few times, but there are so many buttons on that thing, that it was impossible to get a snug fit, without having half of the alphabet, or page turn buttons depressed. The PPW is perfect for vacuum sealing.

Last edited by SolRaven; 06-11-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:10 AM   #25
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I noticed from the picture that the white print on the seal bag gets just outside the screen so you have no problem reading, no such luck in this part of the world I'm afraid.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:38 AM   #26
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I noticed from the picture that the white print on the seal bag gets just outside the screen so you have no problem reading, no such luck in this part of the world I'm afraid.
Yes, I lucked out with that. I have another brand of vacuum-seal bags that have texture on both sides, so I have to make sure the right roll is loaded in the sealer.

I wonder if you could try regular freezer bags, and use the vacuum sealer for a snug fit.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #27
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Thanks for the info Sol! I have a K4NT, so I am thinking it won't work. I'll try it though before going to the beach this fall!
I've resealed potato chip bags and lettuce bags. I haven't tried a regular zip lock bag though. I'm pretty new to the 'sucky bag thing' as we call it in our house!!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #28
MAT160
Enthusiast
MAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS-600
I take my sony 350 everywhere, I have a leather cover on it and goes to the "beach, camping and it goes wherever I go (including the hospital and wakes).

Since I now have "2" units, the older one is the one I currently take to the beach, camping or fishing (I've done so since day one).

I never leave home without it!
MAT160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #29
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post

That is so clever.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #30
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Thanks for the info!
S
We have a Food Saver brand sealer and it has a 'Pulse' button. Wonder if that would help.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote