Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-29-2011, 02:41 AM   #1
jian1
Banned
jian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toys

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Why is this PDF slow as xxxx turning pages?

This is a Chinese PDF but it's weird that turning 1 page requires somewhat 2 minutes to complete.

I have linearized it which didn't help much.

Can anyone give a good explanation why it's soo fricking slow? Is it becoz it's written vertically instead of horizontally?!?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...9&d=1217129841
jian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:01 AM   #2
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Hi,

cannot give you any explanation.
Just a small observation.
Have tested the file on KindleDX
- under firmware 3.2.1 the same very slow behaviour
- under DuoKan it takes under 1 sec. per page
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:39 AM   #3
jian1
Banned
jian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
Hi,

cannot give you any explanation.
Just a small observation.
Have tested the file on KindleDX
- under firmware 3.2.1 the same very slow behaviour
- under DuoKan it takes under 1 sec. per page
weird...
Old 11-30-2011, 02:48 AM   #4
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Is it a real PDF or is it a bunch of scanned pages packed as PDF ?
My observation is that most reader do have problems with scanned pages packed as PDF while the original PDF is faster.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #5
jian1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Is it a real PDF or is it a bunch of scanned pages packed as PDF ?
My observation is that most reader do have problems with scanned pages packed as PDF while the original PDF is faster.
It's not a scanned book. It got no pictures nor any other complex structures, but was written vertically instead of horizentally, I supposed that's the culprit? You can try read it on a pc see what I meant.

Being a Chinese company, doesn't Onyx realize that their own archaic language was written vertically? lol
Old 12-01-2011, 01:56 AM   #6
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Do you know what program is being used to display it? I don't have an Onyx device, but my PocketBook comes with AdobeViewer and pdfviewer for reading PDF files. Your PDF file works fine under pdfviewer, but AdobeViewer seems to have trouble with it (opening and page turning is very slow, and the CPU runs at 100% even when no pages are being turned). I have no idea why, though.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
kamizase
Connoisseur
kamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox 60
I guess some pdf reading programs in ereaders might be optimized for horizontal text, since they also have to try to do reflow. I don't want to imagine what would happen if you try to reflow that chinese book.

You should check what Duokan uses for pdf reading. Or convert the pdf to horizontal text and then tilt the reader.
kamizase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:13 PM   #8
liueno
liueno began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M90
I test the file at M90. It takes 1 minut and 50 seconds for page truning.
As I know, boox uses adobe mobile reader to read pdf file in his device.
Maybe there is someting wrong in Adobe reader?

And i'm sorry that I have forward your test result to Onyx official forum in China but without inform you at first. It's my fault. If you don't want your test result appeared in that forum, i'll delet it as soon as you inform me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Do you know what program is being used to display it? I don't have an Onyx device, but my PocketBook comes with AdobeViewer and pdfviewer for reading PDF files. Your PDF file works fine under pdfviewer, but AdobeViewer seems to have trouble with it (opening and page turning is very slow, and the CPU runs at 100% even when no pages are being turned). I have no idea why, though.

Last edited by liueno; 12-01-2011 at 11:21 PM. Reason: add something i forget before
liueno is offline   Reply With Quote