Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-08-2011, 04:00 AM   #61
Klein Nijenhuis
Zealot
Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Onyx Boox
Dear all, there will be a case with an inner holder within 2 weeks. By the end of november we will launch a case with light, I will post a few pictures soon.
Klein Nijenhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #62
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
It looks like Tuff-Luv will be coming out with their T1 cases in about 27 days. They're now accepting preorders, although they haven't posted any pictures yet. I have one of their cases on my PRS-350 and it's one of the best cases I've ever had for an eReader.

http://tuff-luv.com/e-readers/sony-r...-t1-cases.html

Although I wish Oberon made cases for the T1 I've never owned an Oberon before and they look very nice.
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #63
Priscillux
Priscillux began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Hello there,

I quite like the Navitech napa leather case http://www.amazon.co.uk/Navitech-Gen...0782389&sr=1-1 also mentioned by Lxuke above as it's affordable and I prefer leather to synthetic. I'm a bit concerned about the magnetic flap, though. Is it ok to have a magnet so close to an electronic device?
Priscillux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #64
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Not had an issue with magnetic clasps on either my PRS-650 or Kobo ereader after many months of use.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #65
Priscillux
Priscillux began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Hi Sabredog,

Thanks for replying! I still have some concerns, though. I've made a search on the internet and found safety guides clearly stating that magnets can damage electronic equipment and magnetic data storage media.

Sabredog: do you have the Navitech napa leather case? If so, could you please tell me where the magnet is located? Is it on the flap that secures the case or on the front cover of the case? (if the former I'm thinking I could possibly replace the magnetic clasp with a non-magnetic one).

Lxuke: you have the Navitech case, could you please tell me where the magnet is located?
Priscillux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #66
Skip_intro
Culture Eccentric
Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Red
I doubt that the magnet on the clasp is strong enough to mess with the equipment. The internal storage isn't magnetic media like floppies or cassette tapes and as so won't be affected by a magnetic field.

Your hard drive on your PC contains magnets much, much, stronger than anything you'll ever commonly see and they don't affect the data on the disk itself. An SD card would probably survive degaussing where a floppy / hdd / tape would not.
Skip_intro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #67
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscillux View Post
.... I still have some concerns, though. I've made a search on the internet and found safety guides clearly stating that magnets can damage electronic equipment and magnetic data storage media.
In Sony's x50 line of readers, there are magnets in the upper and lower right corners of the reader itself, not in the covers, to make the flaps stick to the reader. The covers simply have a metal strip which is pulled to the magnets in the reader.

Take anything metal like a small fingernail file and put it near the corners of the reader and you'll feel the magnetic pull.

I'm guessing they did something similar to the T1s and the magnets are probably in the reader. But in either case, the magnets won't harm the readers.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #68
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I am sad that Sony got rid of the side hinges for covers. Although it was hard to find covers that took advantage of the system (which is a pity), I was always very happy with Sony's default cover, because it was lightweight and I just prefer it over the (to-me) clunky Kindle strap system.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #69
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric View Post
Although I wish Oberon made cases for the T1 I've never owned an Oberon before and they look very nice.
Oberons are overpriced IMO. I dont care how nice they look. 60-70 bucks is way too much to protect a $140 (or less) ereader. I always wondered why people want the cheapest price on a reader but are willing to spend 50% or more of the cost of the reader just to protect it. Doesnt make sense especially given the fact that some people change ereaders more than shoes.

I will take a $10 cover anyday.

Last edited by Tony1988; 11-08-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #70
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscillux View Post
Hi Sabredog,

Sabredog: do you have the Navitech napa leather case? If so, could you please tell me where the magnet is located? Is it on the flap that secures the case or on the front cover of the case? (if the former I'm thinking I could possibly replace the magnetic clasp with a non-magnetic one).
I do not have that particular cover but have a nice leather cover for my Kobo and a Napa leather one for my PRS-650. The fastening strap closes over to the rear flap where the ereader is secured.

There has been no issues at all and I have used my Kobo with this cover for 18 months.

The Gecko covers would be no different in this regard
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #71
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Oberons are overpriced IMO. I dont care how nice they look. 50-60 bucks is way too much to protect a $140 (or less) ereader. I always wondered why people want the cheapest price on a reader but are willing to spend 50% or more of the cost of the reader just to protect it. Doesnt make sense especially given the fact that some people change ereaders more than shoes.

I will take a $10 cover anyday.
It's not *just* about protection though. Oberons do a good job of protecting, I dropped my Nook on a corner while it was in the Oberon and it survived just fine. And that's partly why I bought an Oberon, but not the real reason. My B&N cover would've protected the device pretty well, so I didn't need an Oberon cover to do that.

The reason why I paid for Oberon quality is that I ENJOY it so much. There's something about the feel and the looks that simply gives me heck of a lot of pleasure every single time I handle my reader. For those who appreciate that kind of thing, an Oberon cover is highly worthwhile and cheap at the price!

For those who don't care, then yeah, a cheaper cover makes more economic sense.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:31 PM   #72
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric View Post
It looks like Tuff-Luv will be coming out with their T1 cases in about 27 days. They're now accepting preorders, although they haven't posted any pictures yet. I have one of their cases on my PRS-350 and it's one of the best cases I've ever had for an eReader.
http://tuff-luv.com/e-readers/sony-r...-t1-cases.html
Thanks for the Tuff-luv link. I am thinking about maybe going with a DecalGirl skin with the mini Oberon sleeve for my T1. It's also possible that that one of the Oberon covers for the new Kindle models might work. I use an Oberon K2 cover with my 950. I also have an Oberon cover for my Nook Color. They are beautiful quality and worth every penny to me.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #73
Lorif
Lorif began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505, prs-t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_intro View Post
I doubt that the magnet on the clasp is strong enough to mess with the equipment. The internal storage isn't magnetic media like floppies or cassette tapes and as so won't be affected by a magnetic field.

Your hard drive on your PC contains magnets much, much, stronger than anything you'll ever commonly see and they don't affect the data on the disk itself. An SD card would probably survive degaussing where a floppy / hdd / tape would not.
I don't know how magnetic clasps effect readers, but I have had bank/creidt cards wiped by a magnetic clasp on a purse ; I always get purses with other closures now.
Lorif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #74
trekker99
Enthusiast
trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klein Nijenhuis View Post
Dear all, there will be a case with an inner holder within 2 weeks. By the end of november we will launch a case with light, I will post a few pictures soon.
Great! I look forward to seeing them.

I wonder how the Tuff-Luv ones look like too. Nice to have good options =)
trekker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #75
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klein Nijenhuis View Post
What is an "inner holder"?

I'm hoping it is something like the clip-in system that Sony use to attach the T1 to their case...
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote