Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #31
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
Charged my T1 with Samsung Galaxy Note charger.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #32
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linc View Post
I have spent some time today trying to get the Sony ereader PRS-T1 to charge off just a 5V supply without luck. So I put a scope onto the USB data lines and watched the ereader "chatting" to the PC the whole time. So the upshot is that those people at Sony have made damn sure that you can not use any old charger. No combinations of just tying data lones high or low with pullup resistors works, there must be an active "chatting" between the reader and the charger, whcih is why the PC works. I love the Sony reader but I hate the way they have behaved here to make sure you must buy their accessories. It's a dirty way to do business. There is no need for a USB device to "chat" just to charge.
I read here (beware: French, search for title: Schéma 003b - Version compatible avec les appareils "difficiles") that data lines must be set to 2V for fussy devices (with separate resistor dividers for D+ and D-, 75kOhms to +5V, 49.9kOhms to the ground).
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #33
Bear 100
Enthusiast
Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony T1
I concur. The whole business of 'standard USB chargers' which are anything but standard is total pain. I have several chargers with the right plug, but none of them work.

Luckily the T1 does not need charging often, and my PC charges it relatively fast.
Bear 100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #34
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PRS-T1
To charge the T1

I use the "HTC TC E250". It takes short of two hours to charge the T1 after reading till the thing said "network is shu... please recharge..before using net..".
I keep reading for another hour or so and then hookup.
bibahbuzemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:19 AM   #35
soseono
Connoisseur
soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle 4, Sony PRS-T1 (formerly PRS-500 & 505), iPad Air
I use a Motorola Droid OEM charger (which also charges my phone) and it works fine. It's rated at 5.1v/850 mA.

Last edited by soseono; 01-20-2012 at 12:22 AM.
soseono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
iGo wall charger. Works great with the Blackberry tip.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #37
jancb
jancb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Car charger for PRS-T1

If I can use my Samsung phone wall charger for my Sony, can I also use the phone car charger for the reader? It sure would make life simpler!
jancb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #38
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jancb View Post
If I can use my Samsung phone wall charger for my Sony, can I also use the phone car charger for the reader? It sure would make life simpler!
Probably. I know I can with my Blackberry stuff. I bought a lighter charger from Sams Club meant for the Blackberry & it works on my Sony readers.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #39
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Check out the wiki page on compatible wall chargers.

Feel free to contribute.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #40
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
My parents both recently got new LG phones--different models that use the same wall charger so I was able to "borrow" one of them and it works fine for both the T1 and my Nook Simple Touch.
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #41
marius_ultimus
marius_ultimus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
can anyone help? i have had my prs-t1 for a month now and i'm now giving it its second charge. i don't want to charge it via computer, because i heard that higher el. current is better for the battery (computer's usb has normally about 0.5A). so i use a generic 1A usb wall charger (the brand is called Sweex). when plugged in, the reader doesn't indicate charging - the LED is not on, the battery icon doesn't show its charging animation, nothing. the only change, compared to when it's unplugged, is that i cannot lock the reader (screensaver), so i guess it detected the charger in some way.
it's been plugged in for about an hour and the battery icon still hasn't changed its state. does anybody have such an experience?

btw, i agree with you people - making sure that only a "sony authorised" charger complies with your device is quite evil. it's really counterproductive and should be prohibited, because it ruins the whole idea of unified usb charging.

Last edited by marius_ultimus; 03-27-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: grammar
marius_ultimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #42
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
USB Chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
According to your profile you have a 350. Have you ever had and used a Blackberry charger with a 300 or 600 reader? I have had a 300 & currently own a 350. You CANNOT use the USB to charge the X00 series of readers. It doesn't work. The ONLY way to charge the X00 series of readers is with the barrel plug or while connected to the computer.
Not True! The 505 and 300 will happily charge from the USB port, but you can not read while they are charging. Neither the 505 or 300 came with chargers--how do you think they were charged? They also took at least twice as long to charge from the USB port.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #43
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by marius_ultimus View Post
does anybody have such an experience?
Nope - I use a multi-limbed 'Hydra' sort of charger that I picked up on eBay with a USB port on one end that goes into a wall plug that then goes into the socket, and it seems to have no trouble charging the Sony. Haven't noticed any difference between using this and charging via my PC with the proper Sony cable regarding the length of time it'll stay charged afterwards.

The one I originally bought was similar to this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15-1-USB-M...item27c43ebf7f

but even though this is billed as a 'transfer' cable, I haven't been able to get it to transfer anything between the PC and the Sony, even though it will allow me to transfer between the PC and other gadgets, including other ereaders. Thus, I tend to keep this one on the PC for other things, and use a cheaper version, which is charge only, for charging the Sony off a wall socket.
Similar to this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-U...item3f147cda83

You can see the micro-USB connection fifth from the right in the second pic.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #44
marius_ultimus
marius_ultimus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvReadin View Post
Nope - I use a multi-limbed 'Hydra' sort of charger that I picked up on eBay with a USB port on one end that goes into a wall plug that then goes into the socket, and it seems to have no trouble charging the Sony. Haven't noticed any difference between using this and charging via my PC with the proper Sony cable regarding the length of time it'll stay charged afterwards.

but even though this is billed as a 'transfer' cable, I haven't been able to get it to transfer anything between the PC and the Sony, even though it will allow me to transfer between the PC and other gadgets, including other ereaders. Thus, I tend to keep this one on the PC for other things, and use a cheaper version, which is charge only, for charging the Sony off a wall socket.

Thank you for your response, I actually didn't try charging it with another cable
marius_ultimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvReadin View Post

You buy cheaply made stuff like that at it will break. Maybe it will break when you need it most and don't have access to another way to charge your reader. Really, buy something of good quality.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote