Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #46
kiaorana
kiaorana began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3w
Hi guys,

I'm sorry, I'm a complete noob. So I updated my brand new Kindle3w with firmware 3.1, then, I ran YiFan jailbreak by uploading the file to the device then doing update device.

I restarted my Kindle

I think it went well.

Then I tried to install the screensaver hack. I uploaded the update-ss-0.18.k3w.bin to my kindle, ran the update, and restarted my device

However, I don't see a folder called linkss/screensaver....

What am I doing wrong???

Could someone help me please, it would be really appreciated.

Thanks a lot
kiaorana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #47
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
According to the wiki you have to manually copy the linkss folder over from the zip file:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...een_Saver_Hack

Other instructions don't necessarily mention this, but that's what I did when I installed it on my wife's Kindle 2 (I have yet to install it on my own Kindle 3).

-HM
Hollow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #48
kiaorana
kiaorana began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3w
Hollow Man, you're a legend mate, thanks for the quick reply!
kiaorana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:13 PM   #49
Jeton
Enthusiast
Jeton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thank you for your hard effort in bringing this jailbreak to 3.1 users.

I've yet to try it, I'm updating to 3.1 on my Kindle as we speak (it has the previous jailbreaks from 3.03).

One small note: Seeing a lot of questions and confusions in this thread I would advise you make the initial post a little more comprehensive, add steps, use bullets (sounds stupid but it helps to normal users).

I'm into the jailbreak lingo but I had trouble understanding the steps initially.
As an example/model use the style that NiLuJe used in his post here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...88&postcount=1

Thank you once again.
Cheers.
Jeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #50
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiaorana View Post
Hollow Man, you're a legend mate, thanks for the quick reply!
The more people that install this new jailbreak, the more comfortable I'll feel installing it on my own Kindle 3. I just got the thing last week, and would hate for some unknown bug to screw things up.

But man, am I sick of the stock screensaver images...

-HM
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #51
Jeton
Enthusiast
Jeton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
All went OK.
Was on 3.03 with the jailbreak installed +screensaver+mplayer+launchpad

Updated to 3.1
Added the update_3.1-jailbreak_0.1_k3w_install.bin to the Kindle.
Updated!
Done!
Jeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #52
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
I hear everyone saying that de screensaver hack works in the new situation. I would like confirmation before continuing with the new jailbreak: does the font hack also work?
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #53
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeton View Post
Thank you for your hard effort in bringing this jailbreak to 3.1 users.

I've yet to try it, I'm updating to 3.1 on my Kindle as we speak (it has the previous jailbreaks from 3.03).

One small note: Seeing a lot of questions and confusions in this thread I would advise you make the initial post a little more comprehensive, add steps, use bullets (sounds stupid but it helps to normal users).

I'm into the jailbreak lingo but I had trouble understanding the steps initially.
As an example/model use the style that NiLuJe used in his post here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...88&postcount=1

Thank you once again.
Cheers.
Yea, I should do that. Like I said, I wasn't planning on releasing this jailbreak. I didn't know that Amazon was going to release 3.1 so fast. I just made the jailbreak two days ago, lol. Right now, I'm in the process of writing a new jailbreak that doesn't require all this complicated stuff. Just install and you're hacked. No need to switch update providers, etc.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #54
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I'm not clear on one aspect (well, maybe more than one) -

If you had the old jailbreak and say the screensaver hack. And with those still installed, allowed 3.1 firmware to be installed, can THIS NEW HACK, allow the removal of those earlier hacks/jailbreak? I guess another way of asking - can this hack dig under 3.1 to remove those older hacks?
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #55
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Yea, I should do that. Like I said, I wasn't planning on releasing this jailbreak. I didn't know that Amazon was going to release 3.1 so fast. I just made the jailbreak two days ago, lol. Right now, I'm in the process of writing a new jailbreak that doesn't require all this complicated stuff. Just install and you're hacked. No need to switch update providers, etc.
Sounds great - I'll wait another minute or two for its release

Seriously, thanks for doing this.

On another hack subject but while I have you here - might you be talented enough (I mean this from one totally incapable of hacking anything except a lung while coughing) to develop a hack to ERASE/DELETE or show the log Amazon creates about our reading habits/location/etc. I know that using linux and some usb-something-or-other, folks can get to it. But for us lame types???

Thanks, again.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #56
Tarr
Tarr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
I hear everyone saying that de screensaver hack works in the new situation. I would like confirmation before continuing with the new jailbreak: does the font hack also work?
I can confirm that both the screensaver and font hacks work on my Kindle that came with 3.1 using this jailbreak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
On another hack subject but while I have you here - might you be talented enough (I mean this from one totally incapable of hacking anything except a lung while coughing) to develop a hack to ERASE/DELETE or show the log Amazon creates about our reading habits/location/etc. I know that using linux and some usb-something-or-other, folks can get to it. But for us lame types???

Thanks, again.
I was wondering about how to safeguard my privacy in 3.1 as well!

Last edited by Tarr; 02-22-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:50 PM   #57
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Thanks for the link to the ss wiki Hollow Man.

I had a quick look to see if it answered my questions on page 3, post 42, of this thread about the uninstalling of the screen saver hack but all it says is ''To remove the screen saver hack, just copy the appropriate "uninstall" bin file to the root of your Kindle and update''

I have done that and am now seeing the stock screen savers, which is good, but the linkss folder is still showing in my root directory and I need to know if I can just delete it, or if I need to leave it on there.

I am trying to erase all evidence of my Kindle ever having been hacked as I think it might need to be replaced and I don't want the warrenty voided.

Last edited by Josieb1; 02-22-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #58
Hollow Man
Addict

I suspect you can simply delete the linkss folder, because it's probably just a leftover folder that isn't removed via the uninstaller. But I'd wait for an answer from someone who has a little more familiarity with uninstalling hacks, like yifanlu, to confirm.

-HM
Old 02-22-2011, 05:19 PM   #59
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
I suspect you can simply delete the linkss folder, because it's probably just a leftover folder that isn't removed via the uninstaller. But I'd wait for an answer from someone who has a little more familiarity with uninstalling hacks, like yifanlu, to confirm.
Thanks very much Hollow Man, I have heard from yifanlu, and he has confirmed that the 3.1 uninstall will remove the 3.1 folder, its just the linkss fiolder now and I have pm'd NiLuJe in the hopes that he can advise me as yifanlu isn't 100% sure.

In think you are right, and it can be deleted, as the stock screen savers must be in the other folders (as they are for the un-hacked Kindle my hubby has) but I'll post back when I know for sure.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #60
chal61
chal61 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by neostun View Post
this jailbreak allows Duokan 011_02_18 to be installed?
I couldn't succeed. K3 wifi 3.1 + Jailbreak...

Update process fails with U007 error.

Let's hope for Dukan's next release...
chal61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak kindle 3.1, yifanlu jailbreak