Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
JD78
Connoisseur
JD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notes

Device: None
Modern Action/Adventure series?

I'm looking for a modern action/adventure series with treasure hunting similar to Indiana Jones (but more modern), Tomb Raider video games, Uncharted video games, or National Treasure movies. I would prefer it to be a series will strong character development, but not to the point that it takes away from the story/adventure.

In my research so far I've seen many recommendations for Cussler's Dirk Pitt series and have just started that, but I'm still looking for more suggestions.

Thanks,

JD
JD78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:07 AM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I would have thought Clive Cussler would keep you going for a while, that's quite a backlog (I gave up once he got to the shared-author stuff in more recent times).

Matthew Reilly has a few novels that aren't too bad, in particular his "Shane Schofield" hero (Ice Station etc) is quite similar to Cussler's Dirk Pitt ... not as good in my opinion, too much written-to-be-a-movie for my tastes, but they still provide reasonable entertainment.

If you do a forum search for these names you are likely to see several other suggestions of use.

If you want something with a bit more depth (but not too much ) then I like Nelson DeMille. Not really action/adventure, he's usually classified under Mystery/Thriller, but his books usually have quite distinctive and well defined heroes which, to me, gives them a similar feel. A really good action read with his name plastered on it is "Mayday", co-authored by Thomas H Block - Block's name was the only one on the first edition. (Well I think of it as action, I couldn't put it down.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 03:44 AM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD78 View Post
In my research so far I've seen many recommendations for Cussler's Dirk Pitt series
JD
Well, each to their own taste. Personally, I think the Dirk Pitt novels are complete rubbish. The plots are completely unbelievable, the character development is poor, and there is almost no feeling of reader involvement.

Why not try Ian Fleming? Cussler very much models himself on Fleming, but Fleming is a far better writer. The James Bond novels are, in my opinion, far superior to the movies.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:54 AM   #4
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
The plots are completely unbelievable
That's what makes them fun!!

I second Dirk Pitt, some of the most action packed, exciting books I've read.

Also second reading a couple Ian Flemming books, but the movies are so much better than the books in my opinion.

Also, Sigma Force by James Rollins or Event Group series by David Goleman
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:01 AM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, each to their own taste. Personally, I think the Dirk Pitt novels are complete rubbish. The plots are completely unbelievable, the character development is poor, and there is almost no feeling of reader involvement.

Why not try Ian Fleming? Cussler very much models himself on Fleming, but Fleming is a far better writer. The James Bond novels are, in my opinion, far superior to the movies.
I loved Fleming too, what I love most is you get double the story for each title: you get the story from the book and the story from the movie and neither seem related. Cussler's books are all very American, Fleming's are obviously British, and neither of them are at all believable (forgive me if I do Fleming a disservice here, it's been many years). Instead of the current "Difference between Science Fiction and Fantasy" thread perhaps we need a Difference between Action/Adventure Fiction and Fantasy.
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
What I meant to say was that you can't compare Ian Fleming's books with the James Bond films. They have the same characters and very roughly the same plots, but the books are definitely more "believable".

I don't mean the plots aren't far-fetched. They are, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's just that somehow you feel they have a grounding in reality, which can't be said for the films.

Just my humble opinion.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #7
Kiwimick
Addict
Kiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS650
Not quite Indiana Jones and might be a bit dated for you but a number of Alastair Maclean books have a hero saving the world such as The Satan Bug/Golden Gate or as diverse as Where Eagles Dare from which they made an excellent war film starring Richard Burton and a young Clint Eastwood.
Kiwimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:40 PM   #8
aquabel
Book Lover
aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I love these kinds of books too. I read a lot of James Rollins (Sigma Force) and Jeremy Robinson (Chess Team). There's also Andy McDermott and Will Adams.
aquabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #9
JD78
Connoisseur
JD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notes

Thanks for all the replies/suggestions. The more I think about it I am looking for adventure series similar to Indiana Jones, and the National Treasure movies. Where the adventure is based on (even if its mostly fictional) history or myth that requires the characters to solve some sort of huge mystery, riddles, traps, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I would have thought Clive Cussler would keep you going for a while, that's quite a backlog (I gave up once he got to the shared-author stuff in more recent times).
Well, if I decide to stay with Dirk Pitt then I will have quite a backlog. I JUST started reading the first one (well, technically the first one), Pacific Vortex! and am about halfway through it. I'll probably read the next two after that and decide whether to continue or not. Chances are that I will, unless I really really don't like them. My dad has read all of them so far, so I figure they can't be half bad.

Quote:
I'm a fan of the James Bond movies, but this isn't really what I am looking for right now, but will probably be something I pick up down the road. Thanks.

Thanks,

JD
Old 01-21-2011, 08:54 PM   #10
JD78
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabel View Post
I love these kinds of books too. I read a lot of James Rollins (Sigma Force) and Jeremy Robinson (Chess Team). There's also Andy McDermott and Will Adams.
Thanks! Rollins is another name I've seen a few times in my search so I will check out him and the others you mentioned.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #11
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD78 View Post
... Well, if I decide to stay with Dirk Pitt then I will have quite a backlog. I JUST started reading the first one (well, technically the first one), Pacific Vortex! and am about halfway through it. I'll probably read the next two after that and decide whether to continue or not. Chances are that I will, unless I really really don't like them. My dad has read all of them so far, so I figure they can't be half bad.
"Sahara" is one of my favourites of his ... and they even made a movie out it. I was quite surprised, the movie came quite close to the book (although the casting took a bit of getting use to). It was cheesy and full of gung-ho-hero stuff, just like the book, I enjoyed it.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #12
JD78
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
"Sahara" is one of my favourites of his ... and they even made a movie out it. I was quite surprised, the movie came quite close to the book (although the casting took a bit of getting use to). It was cheesy and full of gung-ho-hero stuff, just like the book, I enjoyed it.
Kind of looking forward to reading Sahara since I enjoyed the movie. I agree with your comment on the casting. As I have stated, I'm only halfway through my first Dirk Pitt novel and one of the first things I thought of was how off Matthew McConaughey was for that part.