Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 05:25 AM   #1
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
WHY DO YOU POST AT MOBILEREAD?

MobileRead forums have become part of my daily routine over the past couple of years. I've seen some fly by, other stay and become active, and have huge admiration for those old-stagers who've been here from the start.

I got to wondering why ...

*The folks here are readers and/or writers. My clan.

*I come here to learn from experts and 'amateurs' (I use that word in its original sense -- passionate lovers of an ideal).

*I come here to contribute what little I can.

*I come here for members' generosity of thought and advice, for their differing insights, for their wit and intelligence ... yep, for the virtual friendship, too. That is very high on my lst of 'Whys'.

I don't know how to post a poll here, but I'd be interested in hearing why my MR pals are so faithful to this group.

Cheers. Neil
Attached Images

Last edited by neilmarr; 08-02-2010 at 05:29 AM. Reason: To add DRM-free attachment.
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:01 AM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Because I would be wasting my time posting about e-books and readers at horse racing forums?

All seriousness aside, I'm here (having been lead here from the calibre forum which I started going to as a new calibre user) to learn more about e-books and readers and to "contribute what little I can."
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
'Cuz I like it here.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Because it is a community, and like any community you'll get all kinds.
So as a result I post now and then so that others get a chance to see who I am and what I believe in. Just like everyone else who posts here.

Its like a big family, your going to have squabbles, upsets, fights, tears and spilled milk.
But when the dust settles you have to realize that we all have way more in common than we have differences.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
dlmartin6
Debra L Martin
dlmartin6 doesn't litterdlmartin6 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I come here to learn and offer any insight I can. I only wish I had more time available to browse through all the threads, but that thing called a day job gets in the way too many times.
dlmartin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
E-readers are a real niche market. Despite what anyone says, p-books aren't going to be replaced anytime soon as they meet the needs of most of the people currently using them.

That said, the folks who post here fall into one or more of any number of "interesting" niches, reflected by their interest in e-books:

Voracious readers who can't fit another p-book onto their groaning shelves.

Gadget freaks, interested in the features and functions of their gadgets.

People who travel and also like to read, who need the convenience of a device that allows them to take more than just a paperback or two with them.

Readers who don't have local access to reading material (in their preferred language or languages, or of their preferred genre).

And probably lots of other niches I've left off. But finding other folks to talk to who are in similar situations is always fun. We're kind of one big giant "self help" group here!
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Kindred spirits.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #8
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
Because it is fun to talk to other people with similar interests. And also there is lots of helpful people in Mobileread that can give first hand advice to similar problems that they have encountered.
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:56 AM   #9
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
It's fun to talk with like-minded people about about things that interest me - ebooks and reading. It's a nice international crowd that hangs out here.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:05 AM   #10
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I'm a new E-book owner, presently without one since I just returned it, and my initial reason was simply to avoid the most glaring mistakes when using it. Then off course, I discovered the useful tips, tha added software, the free downloads, the friendly and helpful members, the competent moderators and before I even realized it I was wriggling in the net.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:08 AM   #11
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I'm a new E-book owner, presently without one since I just returned it, and my initial reason was simply to avoid the most glaring mistakes when using it. Then off course, I discovered the useful tips, tha added software, the free downloads, the friendly and helpful members, the competent moderators and before I even realized it I was wriggling in the net.
Mwahahahaaa!!!!
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:11 AM   #12
BookishMom
Connoisseur
BookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheese

Device: K1, K2, and iPad. :)
I like the diversity here - agewise and otherwise. People with different gadgets can get together and compare them without it getting too heated (most of the time). I don't feel that it's as rah-rah when it comes to one specific device, so I feel most posts are objective and balanced, and very helpful and informative.

I like that it's not as commercial as some of the other ebook sites I visit, and especially that moderators/owners don't go in and edit people's messages to add affiliate links whenever and wherever possible. (I have a background working for online communities and editing people's messages gives me hives - either remove/delete them for violations, or leave them alone. Don't edit them without the poster's permission, especially to add an ad.)

Along that same line, it doesn't seem that there are as many people here who talk a product to death (and it has no faults, mind you) and clearly profit from sales of that product.

There are more reasons, but these are the biggies, for me.
BookishMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I like that we focus on books, reading, and discussing all gadgets, not just Kindle, Sony, etc. Plus, it's fun to socialize with other passionate book freaks.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #14
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Because very few of my IRL friends have electronic readers or are gadget freaks. Also very few are heavy readers. Plus, this forum is decent blend of personalities and for the most part polite and well behaved.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:01 AM   #15
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Discovered this place back in the old days when I was still reading on my Palm.

Rediscovered it when I got my Kindle 2.

Stayed around because because of the people.

You guys have gotten me back into SF/Fantasy, introduced me to writers I would never have found, intrigued me, pissed me off a couple of times and generally made my daily (or more) visits worthwhile.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote