Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
automa
Zealot
automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Are there efficient ways to make the table of contents on EPub of scanned files

Is there a way to at least partially automate the finding of different chapters of the book and automatically mark them up as heading1, heading 2, etc.?
automa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by automa View Post
Is there a way to at least partially automate the finding of different chapters of the book and automatically mark them up as heading1, heading 2, etc.?
You might spend some time looking over ALL the options (for your source input and desired output) in the section:
Preferences: Conversion.

There are 3 areas: Input, Common: Output;

There are a big number of choices (some exclusive, while others enable MORE)

There is a section on detecting Unmarked up headings.

BTW, I prefer to run a 'Vanilla' Calibre conversion and Find and Fix Headings with Sigil. So easy to LOOK at the code and write the perfect REGEX for that case (and step thru and see it really does what you want without the part)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #3
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
The only thing you might be able to do is use Search & Replace to find the next use of the word "Chapter" (if it's used in your book) and then manually change the title's paragraph formatting.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:15 AM   #4
Steadyhands
Connoisseur
Steadyhands began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tablet
I've ended up building a series of regex's that fit different scenarios. I inspect the document and then chose the most appropriate and modify if needed. I've got a TOC search group with entries for Chapter + Number, Roman Numbers, Numbers only, Numbers as words etc.
Steadyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you feel like sharing, I'm sure many folks would appreciate having your scripts readily available. You could post it here or in the Regex Examples topic. (If you're inclined.)
Old 07-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder if we should start a 'Saved Search thread' for frequently reused snips'

I define Frequent use as code that will see usage over many books rather than for a 1 time fix-n-patch job (which can be way more complicated in many cases)

Some of my saved Searches are really Models that need per case tuning before use

Code:
69\Name=Fixup/Promote Headings/Roman
69\Find="<p class=\"\\w\">([CLXVI]{1,7})</p>"
69\Replace="<hr class=\"sigil_split_marker\" /><h3 class=\"chapno\">\\1</h3>"
The green is a series (1 to 6) of possible roman characters in a separate paragraph tag. Everything surrounding the Green needs to be adjusted on a case-by-case use.

(I just copied the above direct from my saved search file)
Old 07-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
It should be clear from the above that there are ways, but there are few easy ways because none answers every case.

By the time you fiddle with regex you can do an ordinary search for what starts chapters and highlight and hit h1 for any ordinary numbers of chapters. Of course if this is rocket manual or the like, that's different.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
Steadyhands
Connoisseur

Ok, here's some of mine. Remember you'll have to tweak these before use most times.

Code:
52\Name=TOC & Metadata/Part
52\Find="<p class=\".*?\">(?:(Part|PART)) (?:(One|Two|Three|Four|Five|Six|ONE|TWO|THREE|FOUR|FIVE|SIX))</p>"
52\Replace="<hr class=\"sigilChapterBreak\" /><h1>\\1 \\2</h1><hr class=\"sigilChapterBreak\" />"
53\Name=TOC & Metadata/Chapter Finder
53\Find="<p class=\".*?\">(Prologue|PROLOGUE|Epilogue|EPILOGUE|Chapter|CHAPTER)([^>]*)</p>"
53\Replace="<hr class=\"sigilChapterBreak\" /><h2>\\1 \\2</h2>"
55\Name=TOC & Metadata/Numbered Chapters
55\Find="<p class=\".*?\">(\\d+)</p>"
55\Replace="<hr class=\"sigilChapterBreak\" /><h2>\\1</h2>"
56\Name=TOC & Metadata/Roman Chapters
56\Find="<p class=\".*?\">([XVI]+)</p>"
56\Replace="<hr class=\"sigilChapterBreak\" /><h2>\\1</h2>"
57\Name=TOC & Metadata/Numbers
57\Find="<p class=\".*?\">(?:(ONE|TWO|THREE|FOUR|FIVE|SIX|SEVEN|EIGHT|NINE|TEN|ELEVEN|TWELVE|THIRTEEN|FOURTEEN|FIFTEEN|SIXTEEN|SEVENTEEN|EIGHTEEN|NINETEEN|TWENTY|TWENTY-ONE|TWENTY-TWO|TWENTY-THREE|TWENTY-FOUR|TWENTY-FIVE|TWENTY-SIX|TWENTY-SEVEN|TWENTY-EIGHT|TWENTY-NINE|THIRTHY|THIRTY-ONE|THIRTY-TWO|THIRTY-THREE|THIRTY-FOUR|THIRTY-FIVE|THIRTY-SIX|THIRTY-SEVEN|THIRTY-EIGHT|THIRTY-NINE|FORTY|FORTY-ONE|FORTY-TWO|FORTY-THREE|FORTY-FOUR|FORTY-FIVE|FORTY-SIX|FORTY-SEVEN|FORTY-EIGHT|FORTY-NINE|FIFTY|FIFTY-ONE|FIFTY-TWO|FIFTY-THREE|FIFTY-FOUR|FIFTY-FIVE|FIFTY-SIX|FIFTY-SEVEN|FIFTY-EIGHT|FIFTY-NINE|SIXTY|SIXTY-ONE|SIXTY-TWO|SIXTY-THREE|SIXTY-FOUR|SIXTY-FIVE|SIXTY-SIX|SIXTY-SEVEN|SIXTY-EIGHT|SIXTY-NINE|SEVENTY|SEVENTY-ONE|SEVENTY-TWO|SEVENTY-THREE|SEVENTY-FOUR|SEVENTY-FIVE|SEVENTY-SIX|SEVENTY-SEVEN|SEVENTY-EIGHT|SEVENTY-NINE|EIGHTY|EIGHTY-ONE|EIGHTY-TWO|EIGHTY-THREE|EIGHTY-FOUR|EIGHTY-FIVE|EIGHTY-SIX|EIGHTY-SEVEN|EIGHTY-EIGHT|EIGHTY-NINE|THIRTHY|NINETY-ONE|NINETY-TWO|NINETY-THREE|NINETY-FOUR|NINETY-FIVE|NINETY-SIX|NINETY-SEVEN|NINETY-EIGHT|NINETY-NINE))</p>"
57\Replace="<hr class=\"sigilChapterBreak\" /><h2>\\1</h2>"
58\Name=TOC & Metadata/Numbers2
58\Find="<p class=\".*?\">(?:(One|Two|Three|Four|Five|Six|Seven|Eight|Nine|Ten|Eleven|Twelve|Thirteen|Fourteen|Fifteen|Sixteen|Seventeen|Eighteen|Nineteen|Twenty|Twenty-One|Twenty-Two|Twenty-Three|Twenty-Four|Twenty-Five|Twenty-Six|Twenty-Seven|Twenty-Eight|Twenty-Nine|Thirthy|Thirty-One|Thirty-Two|Thirty-Three|Thirty-Four|Thirty-Five|Thirty-Six|Thirty-Seven|Thirty-Eight|Thirty-Nine|Forty|Forty-One|Forty-Two|Forty-Three|Forty-Four|Forty-Five|Forty-Six|Forty-Seven|Forty-Eight|Forty-Nine|Fifty|Fifty-One|Fifty-Two|Fifty-Three|Fifty-Four|Fifty-Five|Fifty-Six|Fifty-Seven|Fifty-Eight|Fifty-Nine|Sixty|Sixty-One|Sixty-Two|Sixty-Three|Sixty-Four|Sixty-Five|Sixty-Six|Sixty-Seven|Sixty-Eight|Sixty-Nine|Seventy|Seventy-One|Seventy-Two|Seventy-Three|Seventy-Four|Seventy-Five|Seventy-Six|Seventy-Seven|Seventy-Eight|Seventy-Nine|Eighty|Eighty-One|Eighty-Two|Eighty-Three|Eighty-Four|Eighty-Five|Eighty-Six|Eighty-Seven|Eighty-Eight|Eighty-Nine|Thirthy|Ninety-One|Ninety-Two|Ninety-Three|Ninety-Four|Ninety-Five|Ninety-Six|Ninety-Seven|Ninety-Eight|Ninety-Nine))</p>"
58\Replace="<hr class=\"sigilChapterBreak\" /><h2>\\1</h2>"
Like theducks did, I've just cut this from the sigil saved searches file, so in a lot of cases it can't just be cut and pasted into a find replace dialog as there will be extra \ in there. I imagine it could be pasted into the bottom of the sigil_searches file, adjust the numbers and it would be fine.

I agree, a saved searches sticky would be very handy.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
A sticky will end up with people asking questions in it and other side tracked issues. It would be better to build a reference document in the wiki and link to the forum for discussion.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
A sticky will end up with people asking questions in it and other side tracked issues. It would be better to build a reference document in the wiki and link to the forum for discussion.

Dale
Good point
But since this is aimed at the Sigil (saved) Search and Replace interface, is that a good idea?
Old 07-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Good point
But since this is aimed at the Sigil (saved) Search and Replace interface, is that a good idea?
Why not. Calibre has a article in the wiki on searches. Anything eBook related is fair game in our wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Why not. Calibre has a article in the wiki on searches. Anything eBook related is fair game in our wiki.

Dale
If the Greenies did not have an objection, I sure don't have one.
I wonder what format it should take?

Cookbook (type) Sections? I want to do:

Chapter/Part Headings (Finding and restyling)

Repair (broken Paragraphs, Mangled quotes, bad/invalid HTML ...)

Cleanup (Removal of OCR leftovers: Headers and footers, Word kruft, removing excessive spans)

Other (? )

And I guess there should be some way of indicating What programs/Where this applies (foot notes)
eg
1 Sigil
2 Calibre Add Books
3 Calibre conversions
4 Notepad++

Ideas ?
Old 07-03-2013, 04:08 AM   #13
Steadyhands
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I wonder what format it should take?

Cookbook (type) Sections? I want to do:
The names on mine differ slightly but they follow the same theme.

Formatting/Join Paragraphs
Formatting/Speech/Broken dialog
Formatting/Line Endings
Formatting/Format Change
Formatting/Quotes
Formatting/Dashes
TOC & Metadata
Old 07-03-2013, 06:21 AM   #14
Sabardeyn
Guru

Hmm... not sure what you might be looking for exactly, but I know I would like to see any "Known Exclusions" for a particular regex. Things that the regex command will not find so there is some idea to it's usefullness/limitations.

As for the Formatting/Quotes section, we might need two of them: Normal Speech Quotes and Smart/Curly Quotes. I've seen a few posts about people hating one or the other. Not to mention that some non-English languages use other symbols (I think).

My two cents for the moment.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
Hmm... not sure what you might be looking for exactly, but I know I would like to see any "Known Exclusions" for a particular regex. Things that the regex command will not find so there is some idea to it's usefullness/limitations.

As for the Formatting/Quotes section, we might need two of them: Normal Speech Quotes and Smart/Curly Quotes. I've seen a few posts about people hating one or the other. Not to mention that some non-English languages use other symbols (I think).

My two cents for the moment.
The part that cracks me up is that everyone here instantly assumed that the OP was seeking a regex solution. Somehow....something makes me think that wasn't actually the question. ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
regex wiki