Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
ralphiedee
Zealot
ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
EPub with word styling almost from scratch questions

I have an .rtf document that I need to use for an e pub. If I select all and copy right into Sigil of course I'm not going to have the paragraph spaces like in the .rtf

If select all and copy into word and save as html then I get the styling ( of course) now here is the first question;

The main fonts are helvetica and helvetica bold / italic, since the styling is generated by word I still need to embed the font in the epub but how do I apply the fonts to the styles already there as this would cause a mess, no?

Second and most important; There are a few pages that are using images and the client wants them coded and those fonts embedded. It's 4 fonts, which I have and know how to embed font but I will have to attach a css page to the epub with the styling for those separate pages. Is this going to cause a problem as the word styling is throwing me off in terms of css thinking here.

I also thought about creating a css page, adding the helvetica font family and use THAT styling and remove the word styling all together.

Is this an option?

Either way , alot of time consuming work I would think.

any help?

RD
ralphiedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
um.. paragraph spaces are bad news. Don't use them. They make reading poor. As for Helvetica, don't use a snas-serif font for the main body font. It doesn't work and again, makes for poor reading.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You said client.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You can create a stylesheet that only applies to one section. Just create the special stylesheet and then right click on the section involved and link the spreadsheet to it. Delete any other link statement at the top of the involved section.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You said client.
Ditto. @RalphieDee, are you charging a client for doing this work?

Hitch
Hitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When you embed the fonts, you need to make sure you are legally allowed to do so.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Ditto. @RalphieDee, are you charging a client for doing this work?

Hitch
I would say yes given the word client is used.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would say yes given the word client is used.
Well, arguably, not every "client" pays. I had "clients" when I was first learning, who were my volunteer guinea pigs. Personally, of course, I think when you start charging people money, for ePUBs, converting from Word should be second nature.

And, yes, on the fonts--both Helvetica and its kissing cousin, Arial, are, to the best of my knowledge, copyrighted. In fact, almost every font in the Windows font file is copyrighted. There are, however, many open-source sans-serif fonts that can be used, although you have to spend some time rummaging through them, and of course, they have to be tested on the devices, as not every one actually renders.

As I think I mentioned here, before, we had an Adobe foundry font literally become invisible on a Kindle3/Touch in its italic face. Such fun! The (paying) client was less than amused, though. I personally went out and found a font substitute that worked for that one. ;-)

Hitch
Old 11-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Don,'t embed fonts unless there are very special reasons. Just specify serif or sans-serif. Or don't specify anything, let the reader choose. Customers have to learn that it's not about attempting a facsimile of the printed layout!
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Don,'t embed fonts unless there are very special reasons. Just specify serif or sans-serif. Or don't specify anything, let the reader choose. Customers have to learn that it's not about attempting a facsimile of the printed layout!

Your opinion
What customers do need to learn is what can't be done, and what should be avoided.
I have made many of my e-books look closer to what their printed cousins do without large bloat or loss of flexibility on (dedicated EPUB readers. I don't do phones )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well, arguably, not every "client" pays. I had "clients" when I was first learning, who were my volunteer guinea pigs. Personally, of course, I think when you start charging people money, for ePUBs, converting from Word should be second nature.

And, yes, on the fonts--both Helvetica and its kissing cousin, Arial, are, to the best of my knowledge, copyrighted. In fact, almost every font in the Windows font file is copyrighted. There are, however, many open-source sans-serif fonts that can be used, although you have to spend some time rummaging through them, and of course, they have to be tested on the devices, as not every one actually renders.

As I think I mentioned here, before, we had an Adobe foundry font literally become invisible on a Kindle3/Touch in its italic face. Such fun! The (paying) client was less than amused, though. I personally went out and found a font substitute that worked for that one. ;-)

Hitch
I don't have people paying me to convert their Word documents into ePub, but I could do it. I've cleaned up a number of Word documents and made them clean ePub. It can be time consuming.

So, anyone looking to have a Word document converted to ePub cleanly and pay me to do so?

As for the fonts, there is a thread someplace on MR about why sometimes a font fails to render with ADE. I believe if the font is set to version 4, it fails to render in some older versions of ADE.

And as to copyright, you do have to be very careful about what fonts are chosen. Charis SIL is free and it is allowed to be embedded. It's the most widely used embedded font family.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't have people paying me to convert their Word documents into ePub, but I could do it. I've cleaned up a number of Word documents and made them clean ePub. It can be time consuming.

So, anyone looking to have a Word document converted to ePub cleanly and pay me to do so?
I think my soliciting commercial help or work on this forum is a big ixnay, but if you could be less irascible, and get past your hatred of html toc's, maybe we could chat. ;-) I know that there is ePUB-making work out there, but the better-paying work requires you to handle the client interface. I have sub-contractors at my shop that like book-making, but can't deal with the clients, so they work for me as contractors, making less per book, for themselves, but I get the headaches.

Quote:
As for the fonts, there is a thread someplace on MR about why sometimes a font fails to render with ADE. I believe if the font is set to version 4, it fails to render in some older versions of ADE.
Wasn't ADE. Rendered like a champ in ADE, on Nook, on iBooks, on Kobo. Disappeared, altogether--literally, the text became invisible--on K3 and/or Touch with "publisher font" selected. Yowza, that was fun.

Quote:
And as to copyright, you do have to be very careful about what fonts are chosen. Charis SIL is free and it is allowed to be embedded. It's the most widely used embedded font family.
We spend a LOT of time these days finding bloody fonts for clients that want fonts until they find out how much it costs to render at the foundry. We charge for the "font-finding" service, because of course, sitting around staring at OS fonts until your eyes bleed lacks fun. "Lessee, does that g's tail close, and does that m have an opening downstroke..." ACK! If it was me, I'd stick with plain-ol' plain-ol' TNR. It's popular for a reason, although oddly enough, I also like Trebuchet for reading. {shrug}
Old 11-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...09&postcount=2 for a post discussing the issue with font rendering.

Quote:
ADE is quite finicky when it comes to embedded fonts. There are many examples of fonts that work practically everywhere but ADE. I've found that most of the time ... the OS/2 version property of the font is the culprit. Seriously. I know ... crazy, right? Fontforge seems to default to OS/2 version 4 if the setting is left to automatic when generating the TrueType or OTF fonts, and I've never found a font yet saved as OS/2 version 4 that will work in ADE (when embedded in an ePub). Ever.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:56 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Hmmm. That quote sounds very familiar. Such a clever-sounding chap, as well.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote