Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-21-2023, 03:31 PM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritolays View Post
My Kobo Clara 2E had the preloaded items.
They did not show up in calibre to be removed.
Which ebooks did the Clara 2e have? Did you look in the Device view in calibre? Was there 100 of them?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 04:21 PM   #32
fritolays
fritolays began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Graphite DX, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Which ebooks did the Clara 2e have? Did you look in the Device view in calibre? Was there 100 of them?
Yup, nothing listed in Device view.
Looking at my old database copy however, seems like 50ish.

Also, just as a side note - the pinned The Ultimate Kobo Tips & Tricks Thread still links to this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yupbooks.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	199165  
fritolays is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2023, 04:12 AM   #33
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
My Kobo Clara 2E had the preloaded items.
They did not show up in calibre to be removed.
You're sure it wasn't an advert?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 04:17 AM   #34
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Yup, nothing listed in Device view.
Looking at my old database copy however, seems like 50ish..
Those books are as recently published as 2021. Not the copyright-free ebooks that the early Kobos came with.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 10:17 AM   #35
fritolays

Jeez everyone here is so welcoming and pleasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You're sure it wasn't an advert?
Yes, I'm sure it wasnt an advert.
I pulled the sd card out and imaged it before ever turning on the Clara 2E.

If you have a Clara 2E check .kobo/kepub (actual book files) and .kobo-images (book covers) folders as the original image I made includes them.
The filenames match up to what I saw in the database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Those books are as recently published as 2021. Not the copyright-free ebooks that the early Kobos came with.
Yup looks like you just get 52 free books.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stillnotwrong.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	199187  
Advert
Old 01-22-2023, 10:38 AM   #36
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've had or have, Touch, Original H2O, Original Libra, Nia, Sage, Libra 2, Elipsa. None came with ebooks.

Seems unusual especially as they are not PD Titles. I did get an iRiver Cover Story with a load of PD books on it, badly formatted!

None of the many Kindles bought new came with ebooks either.

Hence the sceptical comments. I wonder why your Clara 2E had ebooks?
Old 01-22-2023, 10:44 AM   #37
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Jeez everyone here is so welcoming and pleasant
Just trying to make sense of what you're reporting. There are a heap of Kobo owners here, and none had their device come with free new books. Nor, to my knowledge, has Kobo advertised that as a freebie.

Where did you get the Clara from?
Old 01-22-2023, 10:48 AM   #38
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Yup looks like you just get 52 free books.
Well, you did, somehow.

No-one else has mentioned it in recent years, or about the Clara 2E.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:10 PM   #39
fritolays

I bought both my Clara 2E's from kobobooks.com.
Both original sd card images have the same contents.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:29 PM   #40
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

My Kobos are variously from Argos (local, though all are closing in Ireland), Amazon and Kobo.
Old 01-23-2023, 05:20 AM   #41
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I bought both my Clara 2E's from kobobooks.com.
Both original sd card images have the same contents.
Can I ask how you checked that they're not samples/previews?
Old 01-23-2023, 09:20 AM   #42
fritolays

Dang pretty happening topic in the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Can I ask how you checked that they're not samples/previews?
I didnt want them on the device so does it really matter if its the whole book or not?

But seeing as the forums karma trolls are here to just waffle, I've linked all the kepub.epub files for all to scrutinize.
https://www92.zippyshare.com/v/HzV4fwHw/file.html

Turns out some are previews, but that doesnt really change the fact that I could see them on the device and wanted them gone.

And with that I am done with this thread unless a real question from someone else comes up.

Last edited by fritolays; 01-23-2023 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-23-2023, 09:59 AM   #43
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

People like free stuff, so we were curious as to how your two Clara 2E models had free stuff.

Previews are of almost no interest, but entire books would be.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:28 PM   #44
isarl
Addict
isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2
Quote:
But seeing as the forums karma trolls are here to just waffle,
Friend, you're literally on a forum for people who are motivated enough to create a forum account to discuss ereading devices, as you yourself did to share your solution in an attempt to help people, which is very admirable. While I understand your frustration, I also don't see any trolls in this thread, just a bunch of curious individuals trying to make sense of surprising information. While I claim no ability to read minds, my expectation is that your sharing the actual files will be earnestly appreciated.

Regarding removing previews, I did read your comment saying the books (or previews, or whatever the things were that you saw which you didn't want to continue seeing) did not appear in Calibre. I have not tried the feature myself but I do note that the KoboTouch and KoboTouchExtended plugins have configuration options in the “Metadata, on device & advanced” tab concerning treatment of recommendations, archived books, and previews. If you have any further curiosity on this subject, and if you were not already aware of these options, then I offer them to you as something to experiment with only insofar as your own interest dictates.

I didn't examine them in very great detail but just a quick scan over the filesizes in the kepub.zip you shared passes the most rudimentary of sanity checks; I have many books on my own device in the range of 200–500 kB or so and even the smallest in your zip file was around 40 kB, which would be pretty short, so might be a preview, but could also be a single short story or something. Anyway – to sum up here, thank you for contributing to the thread!
isarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 05:17 PM   #45
Parsley
Enthusiast
Parsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by isarl View Post
Regarding removing previews, I did read your comment saying the books (or previews, or whatever the things were that you saw which you didn't want to continue seeing) did not appear in Calibre. I have not tried the feature myself but I do note that the KoboTouch and KoboTouchExtended plugins have configuration options in the “Metadata, on device & advanced” tab concerning treatment of recommendations, archived books, and previews.

These look quite a bit like the weird previews my Clara HD kept getting a month back (and which lead to battery-draining constant syncing). I was able to get rid of them using Calibre with KoboTouchExtended as described here, checking both "previews" and "archived". My Clara continued to have syncing problems (I think it was trying to scync more seemingly-random archived previews, since they kept showing up in Calibre), but I was able to fix that by signing out and back in again.
Parsley is offline   Reply With Quote