Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #16
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Sounds like Apple is your way. Hope it suits you. Will you buy an Ipad?
No. When I went to the store to play with one, I found it very uncomfortable to hold and impossible to hold one handed.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #17
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
As I have said on other threads, wife and I got iPads, and have already sold our Sony readers. We realized after a few days on the ipads, that the Sony's would just be gathering dust. But reading is just one part of it. It is funny to me how quickly these little devices have become a part of our lives. The iPad for me has replaced a netbook, an ereader and a portable game machine. And In all three things, it performs better.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #18
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
He's entitled to his opinion same as you. And you don't have to own a device to know what features are available thereon. I think you iPadophiles need to stop wearing your feelings on your sleeves.
First of all I will wear my "feelings" wherever I please..... And your continued use of your insulting "iPadophiles" is getting tiring.... Why do you feel the need to make these gadgets "personal" and label people?..... anyway....

Of course someone is entitled to their opinion, but not all opinions carry the same weight. I (and my wife) say the iPad is much better for reading FOR US than the Sony readers. We say that as people that have actually owned and used both...... and I would never make a blanket statement without the "for me" part. But notice that I do not say that in the Sony forum. And even if I did, at least I have actually owned and used them..... But because it's in the Apple Device forum, some can't keep their nose out of it. People who don't even own the device come into the forum and answer questions asked about the product. Even give blanket and uninformed "opinions". Well, it is my opinion that they need to be "outed" as just uninformed haters, and move on.

I could say the Kenwood TS-B2000 is the best Ham base station, and everything else is just a toy. But should my "opinion" carry as much weight as yours on the subject? I don't think it should.

Perhaps you don't see a difference, that's cool.... but it doesn't mean other don't.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:50 PM   #19
Bremen Cole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
No. When I went to the store to play with one, I found it very uncomfortable to hold and impossible to hold one handed.
Yes, if you want a device to hold in one hand.... the iPad is not the one.... I am sure HP, Toshiba, Sony...etc.. will come up with similar devices, but with a smaller form factor.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #20
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
First of all I will wear my "feelings" wherever I please..... And your continued use of your insulting "iPadophiles" is getting tiring.... Why do you feel the need to make these gadgets "personal" and label people?..... anyway....
Agreed. We don't need this out right trolling with the name calling, silly bashing etc.

I agree with him that people don't have to have a device (or have used a device) to have an opinion.

But at the same time, they don't add much to discussion in device specific forums as all they can do at best (when it's not outright trolling) is spout off is the standard opinions of the positives and negatives that were discussed ad nauseum in the months between the product's announcement and it's release.

The device area forums should be for discussion among owners of a product and people interested into it. The haters who have no intention of every buying the product in question should stay out of the device specific forums IMO. Save that stuff for the news and general discussion forums if it has to be allowed on here at all.

Their silly tech gadgets. There's just no need for all the animosity. And all this bickering has me wanting to take a break from the site.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #21
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Yes, if you want a device to hold in one hand.... the iPad is not the one.... I am sure HP, Toshiba, Sony...etc.. will come up with similar devices, but with a smaller form factor.
If it were smaller form factor for my small hands, I would've bought it in a heartbeat. I'm not really interested in a Windows based option because Windows based stuff generally doesn't play nice with my MB.

The Sony Reader was a perfect example of irritation. In the entire time I owned my 500, I could never use the Sony Store to download books. If it weren't for Calibre, I would've never bought the 500.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:07 PM   #22
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
it was clear from the topic that the OP was simply trolling..

there has been no proof that one or the other is easier to read or causes less strain on the eyes, it's all personal preference. anyone on their soapbox shouting that one or the other is "better" is blowing smoke.
You seem to be calling anyone with a negative opinion of an iPad a troll today. Give it a rest.

The OP was asking a question. Let's see what people say. We already know your OPINION.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:08 PM   #23
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
You obviously like the Ipad from your numerous posts. Why claim a troll when some of your opinions are very strong indeed. In fact why post in the thread at all. Let it go...

Agreed.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:11 PM   #24
kennyc

Quote:
As I have said on other threads, wife and I got iPads, and have already sold our Sony readers. We realized after a few days on the ipads, that the Sony's would just be gathering dust. But reading is just one part of it. It is funny to me how quickly these little devices have become a part of our lives. The iPad for me has replaced a netbook, an ereader and a portable game machine. And In all three things, it performs better.
Good for you. Glad you found your device.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:14 PM   #25
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I don't like what you called it.

Reading on the iPad is many orders of magnitude better FOR ME than on the 505 eInk screen. I was never happy with eInk and would have happily read on my EBW1150 forever if it had not become too obsolete to get content.

My eyes would become strained very quickly with the gray-on-gray 505 display. To be honest, I did not really read very many books in the 1 1/2 yrs I had it. I had multiple eye surgeries during that period, and it was too hard to see.

With my iPad, it is a clear white background with crisp black or colored text. With the backlighting that I enjoyed so much with the 1150. I spent several hours yesterday just reading, something that I have not done in a couple of years. I had no eye strain whatsoever.

I am reading my way through the Hugo nominees, and some of the free downloads were in ePub and some were in PDF. I can zoom the PDF's to a comfortable level, but prefer the ePubs in iBooks because I can adjust the text to 1.5 line spacing and jumbo sans serif font.

If you are happy with your eInk, then by all means, don't drop the $500 for an iPad. I was never happy with it, and am glad to have a device that I can enjoy reading on again.

BTW, my 505 and lightwedge case is for sale for $250, if anyone is interested.
Wonderful! Are you able to adjust the font sizes as you need?
Old 04-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
that is your opinion, as someone who does not even own an ipad.
I don't have to own and iPad to know what others on MR are saying. None of the ePub apps that have been talked about (that allow you to load your own ePub) support embedded fonts. That can be important.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
actually i do think you need to actually own, or have at least used a device for a few days, before you can really comment on its abilities. at least i know what i'm talking about as i have an ipad sitting in my hands.

i've never eaten a ham sandwich on the moon but i think it's a wonderful experience.
It is not the iPad I am talking about. It's the apps for displaying ePub. It's not lcd vs eink here. It's iBook vs ADE on the 505. And iBook is just not yet as good.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by holterzoff View Post
I'm selling my bebook in favour of the coming ipad on ebay.
I already enjoy reading on the iphone more than reading with e-ink.
But that's just me.
have fun
To be honest, the apps for the iPad for reading just are not really ready. There are more mature apps on the iPhone. Some people like stanza and some like the txtr app. Neither of which work well on the iPad.

I suggest you hang on to your BeBook until the iPad apps are more mature.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
But at the same time, they don't add much to discussion in device specific forums as all they can do at best (when it's not outright trolling) is spout off is the standard opinions of the positives and negatives that were discussed ad nauseum in the months between the product's announcement and it's release.
I am basing what I say on what has been discussed on MR from people who have an iPad and/or tried these apps. It's only the apps I am commenting on.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:22 AM   #30
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I am basing what I say on what has been discussed on MR from people who have an iPad and/or tried these apps. It's only the apps I am commenting on.
Fair enough. Though I only personally value opinions that are first hand. Anyway, for me I couldn't care less about pub as I'm a Kindle user. Never cared about formats period. Text is text to me, and if the formats I have are replaced ebooks are easy to convert. But I rarely reread anyway.

I'm sure some good pub apps will come out eventually anyway. early adopting means having to wait for things. Which is why I'm waiting second gen models for whatever tablet I end up getting.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote