Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-13-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
Collections on a 300

I saw this in a thread in the 505 forum and I've seen references to it concerning the 600, but does it apply to the 300?

"define and apply tags to titles in Calibre. These tags are then used to define collections on the Sony reader."

I've been using calibre to add tags to my ebooks, but when I transfer them to my 300, they don't show up in collections. I usually use the Sony library to drag and drop, so I wondered if syncing would make a difference?

I can create collections in the library and move those and the reader shows them with the books I added in the library. Do the empty collections need to be on the reader first to use the tags?

Anyway, I guess I'm trying to figure out why I'm cleaning up my tags if the reader doesn't use them. Or I'm missing something......??
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Collections do apply to the 300 as well.

When you are in Calibre and adding tags are you adding just one tag per book or multiple tags? If adding multiple, each tag will need to be separated by a comma. If you add tags in Calibre I don't know why they would not show up when transferring using Calibre.

In the Sony library, once your Reader is connected look at the left hand pane and locate the Collections folder under Reader. Click on Collections then click the '+' sign in the bottom left corner of the screen. This will add a new collection and you can rename whatever you want. The process of putting books in a collection is drag and drop from the Sony library to the Reader then drag and drop from the Reader to a Collection.

A single book can be in multiple collections but there will only be one book on the device.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #3
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
I only add one tag in calibre and only use one category, tags.

If I create the collection manually in the sony library, add books to the collection manually and drag the collection to the reader, what is the purpose of editing each book to add tags?

The statements I've read imply collections will be created automagically by tags and books added to a collection that have the same tag. Is that only if I sync with calibre?
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:02 PM   #4
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Yes.

Add the tag to your book in Calibre, then send the book to your device through Calibre. The Sony will read that tag as a collection.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:03 AM   #5
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Tags are only used if you manage and upload book to your Reader using Calibre. Uploading books using Calibre will turn tags into Collections.

Manually creating Collections using the Sony software is only if you plan to upload books via the Sony software.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2010, 02:12 AM   #6
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
You don't have to use the Sony software to upload your books to get tags. Just drag and drop a book to your PC. Open the software, go to reader, put a tag on the book, disconnect the reader from the PC and there you go. You have collections on your reader for your book.

May not be as convenient as the software or calibre, but it works. So tags are some kind of file-property that you apply.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote