Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2009, 01:34 AM   #1
benlau
Enthusiast
benlau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.benlau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.benlau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
[Linux] Note format reader and convertor

Hi,

I have made a tiny open source software called PRS Note Reader which could read the .note format (both of text and drawing) used in Sony PRS reader , and it also can convert the file to svg or text file. Now it run on Debian or Ubuntu Linux. As it use Python and QT as the platform (just like Calibre) , should be portable to Mac and Windows.

Screenshot:

Project Site:
http://launchpad.net/prsnotereader

Packages:
prsnotereader_0.2-1_all.deb

Installation:

You may download the .deb file from the site above , or add the following source repository to your APT.

Code:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/benlau/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
Then run
Code:
sudo apt-get install prsnotereader
Enjoy it.

Last edited by benlau; 02-02-2011 at 02:09 AM.
benlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:36 AM   #2
GangstaSnail
GangstaSnail began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSR-600
nifty, will try next time I connect the reader to pc ....
GangstaSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
osowiecki
Connoisseur
osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ASUS eee Note / Nook Touch
Sir, You have made my day x]
osowiecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:36 AM   #4
wifish
SONY FAN
wifish began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
it sounds very intresting,and how to do that for XP user?
wifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
benlau
Enthusiast
benlau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.benlau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.benlau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifish View Post
it sounds very intresting,and how to do that for XP user?
I am going to port the software to Windows and Mac for ver 0.2. Hopefully the works for Windows will finish within this week.

In fact, I want to port to Mac first. But it was failed to build qt in macports. I am waiting for the maintainer of qt-mac to solve the problem....
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
wifish
SONY FAN
wifish began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
what a pleasure,we await your good news
wifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
Abstractus
Abstractus knows what time it isAbstractus knows what time it isAbstractus knows what time it isAbstractus knows what time it isAbstractus knows what time it isAbstractus knows what time it isAbstractus knows what time it isAbstractus knows what time it isAbstractus knows what time it isAbstractus knows what time it isAbstractus knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
I am bumping up this old thread, but I downloaded source code, and it does not work (under debian lenny). Has anyone else tried to get this to work?
Abstractus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

can you make the source available as a tgz or tb2 download?
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
Abstractus
Abstractus knows what time it isAbstractus knows what time it isAbstractus knows what time it isAbstractus knows what time it isAbstractus knows what time it isAbstractus knows what time it isAbstractus knows what time it isAbstractus knows what time it isAbstractus knows what time it isAbstractus knows what time it isAbstractus knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeluck View Post
can you make the source available as a tgz or tb2 download?
Indeed this would be a good idea, especially since "packages" link in the original post seems to be dead.

In the meanwhile, if you are using Linux, you can install bzr package, and then just type:
Code:
bzr branch lp:prsnotereader
This will download the source code to local directory.

Last edited by Abstractus; 01-30-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Abstractus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:10 AM   #10
benlau
Enthusiast

Hi,

Sorry that the link to PPA is broken for long time. I have resubmitted the package to PPA , and updated the link in the first post.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:49 AM   #11
gudzwabofer
gudzwabofer began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-350
***** very cool, i like the easy folder navigation via slideshow buttons, and how the exported images have a transparent background
gudzwabofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:18 AM   #12
gudzwabofer
gudzwabofer began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-350
Actually I have noticed one issue. If I convert more than one file and save them in the same directory then I need to click on the first file which was created in order to view them in ristretto image viewer, also trying to open them on a mobile proved impossibe. I'm not sure if this is a bug in my linux (Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS - ubuntu studio precise) or maybe embedded code in the file. I can still open it in gimp, i guess because it doesn't load all images in the directory at once.
gudzwabofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:35 PM   #13
stegro
stegro knows more than wikipediastegro knows more than wikipediastegro knows more than wikipediastegro knows more than wikipediastegro knows more than wikipediastegro knows more than wikipediastegro knows more than wikipediastegro knows more than wikipediastegro knows more than wikipediastegro knows more than wikipediastegro knows more than wikipedia

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Just for the books: I have made an even smaller tool to achieve this.
By applying the XSLT file from my repository
https://github.com/stegro/sony-prst2-tools
on the .note files, they convert to proper SVGs. No need to install a fullblown GUI program.
stegro is offline   Reply With Quote