Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
DairyKnight
Connoisseur
DairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with others

Device: PRS-505
USB Networking on Mac OS?

Has anyone got Kindle DX USB Networking on Mac OS X 10.5?
'lsusb' doesn't seem to be available and there seems no usb0 on /dev?
DairyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
DairyKnight
Connoisseur
DairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with others

Hmmm.... I didn't start usbnetwork from the debug console.... after that it works.
Advert
Old 09-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
DairyKnight
Connoisseur

PS: For Mac OS X 10.5 users, you might need to install this patch:
http://bugcommunity.com/wiki/index.p..._Mac_OS_X_10.5

I'm now running Leopard 10.5.8 and Kindle DX usbnet works great with this patch. Didn't try Snow Leopard, though.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:18 AM   #4
dr_g100k
dr_g100k began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Snow leopard found kindle dx with no any patches. It works out of the box.
dr_g100k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
digory
Enthusiast
digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: kindle touch
Hi there
Could you please explain how you achieved this?
I am using OS X 10.6.8. I've jailbroken my kindle and installed usbnetwork.
I type ;un in the search field, but I can't connect with SSH.
How do I activate USB networking on Mac OS X?
ifconfig doesn't show any new interface.
Do I have to eject the kindle drive?
Thanks for your reply in advance,
digory
digory is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
After activating USB network (depending on how you do it) you may need to unplug and replug the USB cable to get the new USBnet device to be detected.

The kindle does not provide an IP address to the host PC via DHCP, so you cannot use an "automatically assigned IP address". You must manually configure your USBnet interface (possibly identified as "RNDIS" or "USB network") to be on the same IP subnet as the kindle.

What IP address you need depends on what kindle model you are using. For a K4 or K5, you should use 192.168.15.201 for the host PC and 192.168.15.244 for the kindle. For DX or K3, use 192.168.1.1 for host PC and 192.168.1.2 for the kindle.

Note that these numbers are from memory, and it is not as reliable as it used to be, so YMMV.

This is all documented in the hacking wikis for the specific devices, and many places in the forums. But the first place to look is in any README file supplied with a USBnet hack if you used one. A good place to start is at the Master Index sticky thread, and go from there.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-30-2012 at 02:22 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The USBNet hack defaults to 192.168.2.1 / 192.168.2.2 on the K2/K3, and 192.168.15.1 / 192.168.15.244 on the K4/K5. (Host / Kindle). Although, on the host side, just being on the same /24 subnet should be enough .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The USBNet hack defaults to 192.168.2.1 / 192.168.2.2 on the K2/K3, and 192.168.15.1 / 192.168.15.244 on the K4/K5. (Host / Kindle). Although, on the host side, just being on the same /24 subnet should be enough .
Okay, I was on the wrong subnet for the K2/K3 (I reassign all mine to 10.0.x.1, where each device has a different x so I can plug them in at the same time). The 2 subnet makes more sense so as not to confict with the 1 subnet assigned by many routers.

On the K4/K5 though, the IP address SHOULD really not be 192.16.15.1, or some diags will fail (such as NFS export, etc.). The scripts in the K4/K5 assume that the host is at 192.168.15.201. The wikis are in error on that one (which you can verify in the diags startup scripts, and I have posted this in a number of posts).

So you were right on the K2/K3, and I was right on the K4/K5 (and the K4/K5 hacking wikis are wrong, but would still work except for some diags problems).

And yes, for most cases, anything on the same subnet that is not already in use (the kindle IP in this case) should work fine for the host PC. Beware that you cannot use .0 or .255 for the last IP octet. The only problem would be with certain built-in scripts that look for a host PC at a specific IP address (such as 192.168.15.201).

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-01-2012 at 03:56 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@geekmaster: I wasn't aware of the thing with the diags scripts, thanks .
Old 06-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #10
digory
Enthusiast
digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: kindle touch
Thanks for your replies. I just had to restart the Kindle once more. Dunno why, but then it was automatically recognized by Mac OS X. Now I can SSH to my Kindle, whoohoo

I'm now trying to figure out how I launch a Java Applet I've written on the Kindle. Should be possible, shouldn't it?
digory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:59 AM   #11
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by digory View Post
Thanks for your replies. I just had to restart the Kindle once more. Dunno why, but then it was automatically recognized by Mac OS X. Now I can SSH to my Kindle, whoohoo

I'm now trying to figure out how I launch a Java Applet I've written on the Kindle. Should be possible, shouldn't it?
You need to package it and sign it with a developer key. You also need to install the "combined developer keys", which you can get from the Tools Index wiki (see the Master Index sticky thread). For more information, just search for "kindlet" or look in the Kindlet index wiki.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!

If you used yifan's jailbreak, the Kindlet keys should have been installed with the jailbreak. (And the keystore is in the keys folder of the jailbreak package).
Old 07-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
geekmaster

Quote:
If you used yifan's jailbreak, the Kindlet keys should have been installed with the jailbreak. (And the keystore is in the keys folder of the jailbreak package).
The poster did not specify his kindle model. I do not think yifanlu's K3 jailbreak installed any developer keys, and PoP assembled the combined developer keys much later.

I think that only yifanlu's K5 jailbreak installs the developer keys. In any case, you MUST install them on older kindles, and it does not hurt to install them (again) on a K5.

I like to avoid conditional branches in my code AND in my howto instructions (even if that means doing things that might not always be needed). Instructions with fewer decisions to be made means less confusion and fewer mistakes (even if less efficient).

At least, that is how I do things (especially when we do not know the poster's kindle model, such as in this case).

P.S. If we were to use an educated guess as to the poster's kindle model, it is probably a DX, based on the other posts in this thread. I am not aware of a DX jailbreak that installs developer keys (especially not recent combined developer keys).

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-01-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@GM: I was going on by the 'kindle touch' in his profile . But, yeah, to be completely clear: it only installs the kindlet keys on a K4/K5. For every other devices, use ixtab's devkey installer . And it is indeed completely safe to reinstall the keystore, unless you modified it somehow and forgot to back it up, of course .

EDIT: Scratch that, it installs the kindlet keys on every Kindle FW, but I'm not sure if someone distributed a properly packaged version of it for non K4/K5 devices.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-01-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #15
geekmaster

Quote:
@GM: I was going on by the 'kindle touch' in his profile . But, yeah, to be completely clear: it only installs the kindlet keys on a K4/K5. For every other devices, use ixtab's installer . And it is indeed completely safe to reinstall the keystore, unless you modified it somehow and forgot to back it up, of course .

EDIT: Scratch that, it installs the kindlet keys on every Kindle FW, but I'm not sure if someone distributed a properly packaged version of it for non K4/K5 devices.
I do not (normally) even look at the profile devices. Mine just says "*.*".

I was going by all the DX models mentioned in this thread as a GUESS. Not knowing what model he had, I thought a generic description was best. I was not aware that there is a K3 JB from ixtab.

There are too many topics in this forum, and too many "almost off-topic" subthreads within many of them. Pretty soon we will need a search engine just for the Index wikis...