Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-04-2016, 10:55 AM   #1
swifty
Enthusiast
swifty began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Jailbreak Kindle 5.8.x

Original contents in spoilers tags:

You must own one of the following devices to jailbreak successfully

A) Downgrade to v5.4.2
  1. Download the factory downgrade update file for your device from here
  2. Connect your Kindle via USB to your PC. The Kindle will say USB Drive Mode on the screen.
  3. Copy update file to the root directory of your Kindle. The root is next to documents and .active_content_sandbox
  4. Safe eject your Kindle from the PC.
  5. Go to Home > Menu > Settings > Menu > Update Your Kindle and tap OK. Allow it to finish software updating.
  6. When it's done, it will reboot into v5.4.2.

B) Update to v5.6.5
  1. Follow above steps 1-6, except use download v5.6.5 instead of the previous download link.
  2. Your kindle should reboot into v5.6.5.

C) Jailbreak v5.6.5
  1. Download jb.zip attached to that post.
  2. Connect your Kindle via USB to your PC. The Kindle will say USB Drive Mode on the screen.
  3. Copy the zip contents to the root directory of your Kindle. The root is next to documents and .active_content_sandbox
  5. Tap the home icon on your Kindle, then go to Home > Menu > Experimental Browser and visit file:///mnt/us/index.html
  6. Follow the instructions on that page. Do not allow your Kindle to turn off Airplane mode. Airplane mode must be on.
  7. When the title bar says type ;fc-cache, tap the magnifying glass and type it in there ("Search Everywhere"). Not in the experimental browser.
  8. After doing that last step, it will say "Jailbreak succeeded!"

D) Hotfix v5.6.5
  1. Download JailBreak-1.14.N-FW-5.x-hotfix.zip attached to that post.
  3. Copy the zip contents to the root directory of your Kindle. The root is next to documents and .active_content_sandbox
  5. Tap the home icon on your Kindle, then go to Home > Menu > Settings > Menu > Update Your Kindle and tap OK. Allow it to finish software updating.
  6. Reconnect your Kindle and delete the files selected in my image:

E) Update to 5.8.1
These are the steps it took for me to update back to 5.8.1, it might be different for you. The goal is to have "Update Your Kindle" tappable.
  1. You can turn Airplane mode off now.
  2. Go to Home > Menu > Settings > Menu > Device Info
  3. You should receive a message about an update being available. Go ahead and apply it.
  4. After that, go back into Device Info like three times until the "Update Your Kindle" is tappable.
  5. Tap "Update Your Kindle" and allow it to finish.

F) Install KUAL and MRPI
  1. Follow the instructions in the KAUL thread
  2. Follow the instructions in the MRPI thread

Done!

Thanks to knc1 and Branch Delay for the instructions. I just helped put it into an illustrated tutorial. You can also try following knc1's thread here.

Notes
  • Factory resetting your Kindle will remove your jailbreak. You will have to follow this tutorial over again.
  • This tutorial was built using a PW2 on v5.8.1 running sponsored ads.

Last edited by swifty; 08-26-2017 at 09:46 PM. Reason: fixed ;fs-cache -> ;fc-cache
swifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:03 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Please reduce the size of your images to not greater than the guideline maximum.
You'll get a whole bunch of negative karma when a moderator finds these images.

= = = =

Thanks for the illustrated write-up.
By the way, this is DGA-1, not the DGA-2 whose thread you posted in at first.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2016, 11:08 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

Feel free to update your original post with an appropriately-resized image, or use our attachments feature (in the Go Advanced reply mode).

Thanks.

EDIT: Uploaded as attachments, because I'm in a good mood.

Last edited by eschwartz; 07-04-2016 at 11:16 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:12 AM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
This tutorial was built using a PW2 on v5.8.1.
...[*]Rename the downloaded file to demo.bin
...[*]Copy demo.bin to the root directory of your Kindle.
@swifty: Renaming the downloaded file to demo.bin is a REALLY BAD IDEA. The developers discussed and agreed on our file naming convention for safety reasons. Your rename is asking for folks who own multiple kindles to brick their devices all too easily. NOT GOOD!

Plus, I asked you to NOT "steal knc1's thunder" when you said you were going to do this tutorial, and you did it anyway. WTF?

I want to invoke "Hanlon's Razor" here, but I feel like that might be a bit too generous. Or am I misinterpreing intentions despite my request? Yeah, maybe you had good intentions and missed my request... Maybe... I have very good reasons to lack tolerance, but I try my best to remain calm under these trying conditions (i.e. I am dying rather quickly in a most painful way when I thought I was just approaching "middle age").

But despite my angst in this case, I do appreciate posts with images, which is my favorite way of posting, and other than that RENAMING PROBLEM (which I think you should fix), it looks good. There is NO NEED for extra renaming steps, and it adds unecessary and dangerous risk, so please remove those renaming steps and just use OUR designated filenames. Okay? Thanks in advance, while waiting for you to do as I requested.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-04-2016 at 11:27 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:27 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

it is alright with me -
swifty was originally talking about DGA-2, this is DGA-1 -
But partly my own fault, I hadn't named the downgrade attacks yet yesterday.

And yes - renaming the DGA-1 down grade package to the same name as the DGA-2 package is a VERY BAD IDEA.

That part of these directions will blow up before the day is over with (and we get DGA-2 on-line for at least some of the models).

Last edited by knc1; 07-04-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Advert
Old 07-04-2016, 11:29 AM   #6
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
it is alright with me -
swifty was originally talking about DGA-2, this is DGA-1 -
But partly my own fault, I hadn't named the downgrade attacks yet yesterday.
I was only perturbed (but calming now) because he seemingly ignored my request to not do that. However, I like his post other than STRONGLY DISAGREEING with his file renaming steps. And he did wait for you to post first (but not until most folks noticed) -- perhaps I did not make myself clear in my original request. Dying unexpectedly must be affecting my emotions in ways I am trying to ignore... (no need to keep it a secret).

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-04-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:35 AM   #7
geekmaster

Another thing about this thread. Though it may also apply to other kindle models, for the PW2 model used here, there is a MUCH SIMPLER way to jailbreak it. Just use the VERY SIMPLE 5.4.x jailbreak after the DGA-1 downgrade to FW 5.4.2. The complicated way documented here is only needed for non-PW2 devices. And the EXTRA firmware update to FW 5.6.5, followed by another update to the latest version, just adds another layer of complication and risk (besides the extra manual steps in the 5.6.5 jailbreak procedure).

KISS, always, whenever possible.

And yes, I like the format of the post, and the good intentions. Though in this case it adds multiple layers of unecessary complication and risk for a PW2 jailbreak. A common mistake for beginners, so do not take our "lessons from geek/nerd/hacker experts" too harshly. This is how we communicate (straight and direct to the point with no rude intentions). Please learn from our criticism and suggestions AND POST MORE. We wish to encourage you, but we also wish to protect others from the risk we perceive in your posted specific jailbreak method.

If you wish to learn our communication style, please read these links: Spock.has.Asperger's, Literal.thinking, Aspie.communication, Hacker.style, Nerd.tact, Aspie.urbana, Aspinoe.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-04-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:37 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Plus - while nitpicking -
Please always use links to Amazon packages on the Amazon server (such as fix your blind link for 5.6.5 in your post)

I.E: in section 2.1 -
this site prohibits clickable links to things like Amazon packages, not on the Amazon download server.

Also, do something about the links to attachment ids (for the jb and hotfix) - those will silently break when the attachment is updated.

Still, a very nice first effort.

Last edited by knc1; 07-04-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #9
aklenatlus
Enthusiast
aklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Aura One
Hi, I've always read you and I was expecting this moment for a long time. I really appreciate your effort and I'm a little afraid to ask this noob question: I have a PW2 and I don't understand why the demo.bin file in the screenshot has a size of around 200 mb while the file provided in the link is around 376 mb. Sorry for the question but I don't want to brik my kindle.
Thanks for your hard work!!
aklenatlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:45 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklenatlus View Post
Hi, I've always read you and I was expecting this moment for a long time. I really appreciate your effort and I'm a little afraid to ask this noob question: I have a PW2 and I don't understand why the demo.bin file in the screenshot has a size of around 200 mb while the file provided in the link is around 376 mb. Sorry for the question but I don't want to brik my kindle.
This post/thread still has a lot of typo's in it.

Use original post instead (it is the same, without the pictures):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877

THOSE are the correct links in my post.

Last edited by knc1; 07-04-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:47 AM   #11
swifty
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklenatlus View Post
Fixed the screenshot, please check again.

Fixed the images to be under 600x600
And also removed the renaming of demo.bin part
Old 07-04-2016, 11:49 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

Now fix the links and it should be ready to use.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:55 AM   #13
swifty
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
@swifty: Renaming the downloaded file to demo.bin is a REALLY BAD IDEA. The developers discussed and agreed on our file naming convention for safety reasons. Your rename is asking for folks who own multiple kindles to brick their devices all too easily. NOT GOOD!

Plus, I asked you to NOT "steal knc1's thunder" when you said you were going to do this tutorial, and you did it anyway. WTF?

I want to invoke "Hanlon's Razor" here, but I feel like that might be a bit too generous. Or am I misinterpreing intentions despite my request? Yeah, maybe you had good intentions and missed my request... Maybe... I have very good reasons to lack tolerance, but I try my best to remain calm under these trying conditions (i.e. I am dying rather quickly in a most painful way when I thought I was just approaching "middle age").

But despite my angst in this case, I do appreciate posts with images, which is my favorite way of posting, and other than that RENAMING PROBLEM (which I think you should fix), it looks good. There is NO NEED for extra renaming steps, and it adds unecessary and dangerous risk, so please remove those renaming steps and just use OUR designated filenames. Okay? Thanks in advance, while waiting for you to do as I requested.
I didn't see your post, sorry about that. I was running in and out between making the thread and watching the 4th of July parade with my family and haven't gone back to the other thread I posted in.

I'll see about updating the links next, thanks for the suggestions guys!
Old 07-04-2016, 11:56 AM   #14
geekmaster

Quote:

Thanks. Please read my edits to my post. It will help all of us to communicate more effectively. Thanks.

I hope to see more great contributions from you in the near future. You are off to a good start, despite a bit of a mis-step (common to newcomers who have not absorbed the mountain of information here). It was a lot harder to get started here before I created the Master Index wiki (and sticky thread). Now we are doing the same for Jailbreak (and essential hacks) and this thread will go into that index as well.

Though you MIGHT want to mention (in the first post) the simple jailbreak method specifically for PW2, which avoids the extra upgrade to FW 5.6.5 and is simpler to install.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:01 PM   #15
aklenatlus
Enthusiast
aklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Aura One
Thanks for the quickly replies. I've a last question: since in the provided link is possible to download the 5.4.3.2 fw, for downgrading the PW2 is always correct using the 5.4.2?
Thank you
aklenatlus is offline   Reply With Quote