Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
Laurentiu
Connoisseur
Laurentiu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2, Sony PRS-600 (no longer used)
Question Borrowing e-books from library for non-residents

Hello,

I used to be a member of Philadelphia Public Library, although I was a non-resident, and enjoyed borrowing books from them a reading them. Unfortunately they raised the fee fro non-residents up to an amount which exceeded willingness to pay.

I was wondering if there is any other library in US or Canada which allow non-residents to become members and borrow e-books for a decent yearly fee.

Many thanks in advance for all answers/suggestions.

Laurentiu
Laurentiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
you could check overdrive and see if your local libarary is onthe list. You do need a card and PIN
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #3
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
it's free though
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #4
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
The only library I am aware of that charges less than $50 is Fairfax County Virginia. The website says the non-resident fee is $27. However, they only have 12,900 titles.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
The only library I am aware of that charges less than $50 is Fairfax County Virginia. The website says the non-resident fee is $27. However, they only have 12,900 titles.
I am a non-resident member through them and they're alright.
I went with them instead of Philadelphia because it was cheaper and I wanted to make sure I would be checking out enough books to justify the cost.
Thus far, they generally have more titles than my local libraries as well as more copies available.

I do recommend them, but only if you check any local ones first and compare title availability.
I will say that Philadelphia seems to be the better deal overall, but, for me, it's been worth the $27 so far.
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #6
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I used to have non-resident membership at Fairfax. I didn't renew it, IMO it's not worth the money.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote