Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 03-26-2008, 05:06 PM   #16
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
@zelda: you'd love "content-aware image resizing", I think.
you are correct, i am fascinated by seam carving.

did you know, there's a site where you can seam carve your own photos ? i spent hours there the first time i found it.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:29 PM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
...and thus the need for the ultimate travel device, the Transporter! I tried to build one out of a fax machine. All my volunteers were ok for awhile, but then curled up and turned yellow.
When I bought my first GPS about 12 years ago I found that it had a GOTO button clearly on the front panel. I went out and got a fix and pressed the button time and time again but I was still in the same spot. Should I have returned it?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2008, 05:33 PM   #18
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I'd email customer service first. The reply, at least, would have been entertaining.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:39 PM   #19
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i'd certainly like to know what they had to say for themselves...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:43 PM   #20
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For some reason, I'm recalling all those stories about retirees dying horribly, as a result of putting the ol' RV in "cruise control" so they could step in the back and make a sandwich.

The Darwinian majesty of it.
Advert
Old 03-26-2008, 07:42 PM   #21
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Get in line! I've been waiting for my all-electric car since 1980.

http://www.aptera.com/details.php
Old 03-26-2008, 08:24 PM   #22
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
There still isn't a full electric car legally available. They don't want to let us have them. I've been wanting wanting one since the 1973 oil crisis when I first saw one. When I tried the think city in 2001, I thought I would die! Those things are great...

About the flying car. With the way some people are driving on the ground, can you imagine them flying? Natural selection would take care of that! BOOM! Of course home insurance would go up too.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:51 AM   #23
TheMooch
Member Retired
TheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 Sony eReader
Actually, the California State legislature is in the process of REDUCING the number of the available all electric vehicles in favor of hybrids.

I've had a Honda Insight Hybrid for 7 years now. Love it.
TheMooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:13 AM   #24
Gatton
Groupie
Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021, assorted Fire tablets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
it's like the designer who requested the client email their visuel. in the email, the client requests the designer to "please email it back" when he finishes with it, because they might need it again in the future.
My favorite is the (probably apocryphal) story of the guy who folded a confidential document before faxing it so that someone walking by the fax machine on the other end wouldn't accidentally see it. Of course you have to admit in a sense that would work ;-).
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:04 AM   #25
zara
zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: palm tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieperry View Post
Has any company ever tried putting the keyboard on the back of a tablet so that you can type while gripping it on the sides? I always think that would be a great idea.
this is going back a few months, but I'll see if I can track down the article. there's an innovative design concept for a tablet which would include a screen that you see through while operating the touch controls behind the device. would be even more clever if they combined the technology with the flexible/retractable screen that is in development.
zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:30 AM   #26
zara
zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: palm tx
hmm, no luck and it's 2am here, so I'll try later, but I did find another bookmarked link that might be of interest to any techy fans of the steampunk genre. I love the tricked out antique lcd, typewriter keyboard, and he's apparantly working on a mouse to complete the 'difference engine meets myst' anachronism. now if only he'd modify an ereader for me!
zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:45 AM   #27
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I should have said, "My all-electric car that looked and performed like my Tiburon does now, at less than $15,000."
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:24 AM   #28
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMooch View Post
Actually, the California State legislature is in the process of REDUCING the number of the available all electric vehicles in favor of hybrids.

I've had a Honda Insight Hybrid for 7 years now. Love it.
I have a Prius and it is a great car with excellent mileage and very low pollution (unlike the new Insights although the old ones are better). A plugin hybrid is likely the future of electrics.

I am not usually a conspiracy kind of guy but in this case I do believe the oil company is behind the electric vehicle debacle of the early 2000's where all electric vehicles from GM, Ford and Toyota were withdrawn from the market. (The consumer demand is partially to blame but the test areas were too small.). There is an interesting movie made that documents the destroying of these cars. The battery technology was not the problem and that technology is current owned by .... drum roll ... an oil company since the end of the test time.

Having said that there is a great concept car from MIT that provides simple parking space rental for cars for city use. I'll have to look up the link but it looks like a nice car for niche markets like NYC or Boston.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:44 AM   #29
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
If you do the math, the conspiracy theories don't hold up.

There are some all-electric vehicles available, including one (basically a street-legal go cart) from the '70s, but the range is a serious issue.

Modifying a Prius so that it can be plugged in and recharged is pretty popular.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:56 AM   #30
TheMooch
Member Retired
TheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 Sony eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
If you do the math, the conspiracy theories don't hold up.

There are some all-electric vehicles available, including one (basically a street-legal go cart) from the '70s, but the range is a serious issue.

Modifying a Prius so that it can be plugged in and recharged is pretty popular.

William
From what I understand Toyota has given a number of Prius Plug-in hybrids to UC Irvine and UC Berkley Colleges for study. (see linked article)

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...niversity.html

I also understand taht another college is studying the affects on the power grid of so many cars plugging in a night.
TheMooch is offline   Reply With Quote