Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
Coren
Coren began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Post Making an eBook version of a Visual Novel/Video Game?

I am currently working on this free visual novel game called Crimson Rafflesia, about crazy psycho murderous teenagers and lots of messed-up relationships and painful secrets. For those who may or may not be interested, you can find out more about it here: [Link deleted - MODERATOR]

A visual novel is basically a cross between an ebook and a video game. It's pretty much a choose-your-own adventure ebook with pictures and music and occasionally, flashy animation effects. This project is going to be free, but given the amount of artwork I'll have to continue making for it, I am unsure as to how long exactly it'll take to finish it.

Someone then proposed to me - since I have most of the writing done anyway, why not make it an eBook and publish it online? I admit that it's a charming little idea, but I'm very nervous about it. I barely know much about the online ebook community, but it seems like such an avid group of readers and aspiring writers that I can't help but want to know more. So now my questions here are:

1) Will this be a good idea?
2) How do I get started, if possible?

Thank you so much! (:

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-23-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Coren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
You may want to look round at Amazon.
The Adventures of Whatley Tupper: A Choose Your Own...
and,
The Redemption of Mr. Sturlubok: A Choose Your Own...

are the sort of books that you are looking to make (though they don't have video or anything like that. ) I can't recall if they have many graphics either, but it's a place to start to see how such works.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I saw an advert for a Steve Jackson Fighting Fantasy book like that, but it was only for android phones/tablets and the ipad thing. Looked like it had built in dice animations, don't know what else it does.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
Coren
Coren began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Ah, no - I don't really plan on making it interactive if it's an ebook version. I was just wondering something more along the lines of how to get started on ebook writing/publishing, e.g. on Amazon Kindle. What kind of things must I note, and how do I begin? That'll be very helpful.
Coren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Easiest way would be to do it in html with internal links for all the choices people make along the way. Then convert it with Mobicreator.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert