Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Overdrive App now with ePub

The newest version of Overdrive Media Console for iOS now supports ePub lending. It's a pretty basic reading app, but you can download loans with Safari from your Overdrive library/ies (it even has bookmarks for the two libraries I've already used for mp3 loans). You can't download from non-Overdrive run sites.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Hooray! At last! I just downloaded the app and tested the book that I am currently reading from my library. Works great! I agree it is a very basic app. Font sizes, brightness, bookmarks and Table of Contents navigation. No ability to change screen color like a night mode.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Hmm. I haven't gotten the update yet, but indeed the overdrive portal lets you download ePub. However, it downloaded (apparently) to OMC without asking, even though the version I have can't read it. I was hoping that I could open it instead with Bluefire reader, which by the sound of things, is a little more full-featured.

Wonder if there's a way to change the default app or tell Safari to let me choose?

I'll ask on the Bluefire thread...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Well it works, and does allow easy download straight from Safari into the app, but apart from that it isn't great. Especially as it is an iPhone app, so looks bad on an iPad.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, Bluefire definitely has more features. I did not receive an update notification either. I just went to the app store and upgraded when I saw this posting.
Advert
Old 12-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post
You can't download from non-Overdrive run sites.
Does it work at LibraryBIN?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:20 AM   #7
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
I think the new Overdrive App is a piece of crap, especially for the iPad. The print on the iPad is so blurry using Overdrive for eBooks. I couldn't even get it to work with my iTouch. Finally deleted the Overdrive App and will continue using the Bluefire reader. Thank you again to the developers of Bluefire Reader.

I checked the download site on iTunes App store and a lot of people are having problems with the Overdrive App locking up and crashing.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Does it work at LibraryBIN?
I don't think so. When you tell it to "Get Books", it opens up a Library finder window in Safari to search for your local library. You can add your library as a favorite so you don't have to look it up each time. I can't find any references or links to LibraryBIN.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #9
Illinifan
Connoisseur
Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4, iPhone 4, iPod touch, Sony PRS 300
Apparently, I am one of the exceptions along with Bookworm_Girl that proves the rule.

I downloaded the Overdrive app for the first time yesterday to my 3rd gen iPod touch and successfully checked out books from 3 of the 4 digitial libraries I have access to. No crashes as of this posting.

The reader itself is very bare bones and definitely lacks the refinement and bells and whistles of either Stanza or Bluefire. However, it does do what nothing else has done yet; namely, allow me down directly download DRM'ed books from Overdrive libraries without going through my desktop PC first.

I hadn't heard of LibraryBIN before so I checked out the website. Looks interesting; however, it does not appear to be an Overdrive related site. The Overdrive app is definitely for use with the Overdrive digitial libraries at this point.

One thing I do like about the Overdrive reader is notations on the bottom of the screen. I could take or leave the slider bar, but the note on how many pages are left in the chapter on the lefthand side and the page identification on the righthand side (i.e. 159 of 258) are both kinda cool.

Last edited by Illinifan; 12-08-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Illinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I like the page left in chapter feature too. It's very basic, but it does what it advertises which is to let you read your library books. Maybe future updates will add more features to make it fancier. I am using it on my iPhone, and it seems most of the complaints are iPad related.

LibraryBIN is basically Overdrive's ebookstore. If you scroll to the bottom of their website you will see the Overdrive logo and copyright. Also most library websites have now added a link and explanation about LibraryBIN. It's a cool concept to support your local library through purchases, but their prices can be expensive.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #11
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I like the page left in chapter feature too. It's very basic, but it does what it advertises which is to let you read your library books. Maybe future updates will add more features to make it fancier. I am using it on my iPhone, and it seems most of the complaints are iPad related.
Yes, I think I would be a lot less disappointed if I were using it on a small screen device, but there is just no reason to use a pixel-doubled reader on an iPad. If they had released before Bluefire, this would have been a much more important app.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:00 PM   #12
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Its only cool features are direct download support, and support for date-sensitive loans. A few other ePub readers I've tried are OK with regular DRM files, but choke on library e-books. But, I'm hopeful that, now that it's out there, the direct download feature will be added to other, more robust reading apps. Overdrive is great at digital distribution and back-end stuff, but their apps (PC/Mac and mobile) are pretty bare bones.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:13 AM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Bluefire can be used to download library books directly, via a mobile Safari 'bookmarklet' workaround (that changes the default behavior of the Overdrive web portal). I much prefer Bluefire to OMC (OMC has no night mode, landscape reading, 'chrome' does not auto-hide). See Liz Castro's blog, Pigs, Gourds, and Wikis.

Basically once you land on the download page, you run the bookmarklet, and now the Download button brings up a dialog that allows you to select Bluefire as the target app.

The blog describes the procedure for iPad, but it will work with iPad/iPhone as well - provided you use the 'full', non-mobile Overdrive library portal. Seems like it should be possible to do a similar workaround for the mobile portal as well, and I'm hoping to figure out what to modify in the bookmarklet Javascript code to make that work.

Note that OMC doesn't seem to support 'early return' of library loans, even where the licensing should allow this. Bluefire does. Another reason to use BF. Of course OMC is needed for audiobook loans (which don't allow early return on the basis of the license agreements). Hopefully Overdrive will fix this and improve the reader over time, but I won't be waiting for that to happen now...

Last edited by tomsem; 12-13-2010 at 12:18 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #14
januaryman
Used DTBs & iPad User
januaryman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post
The newest version of Overdrive Media Console for iOS now supports ePub lending. It's a pretty basic reading app, but you can download loans with Safari from your Overdrive library/ies (it even has bookmarks for the two libraries I've already used for mp3 loans). You can't download from non-Overdrive run sites.
Yay! Thanks so much for telling me. I never would have known.. I don't know why this info isn't making it out to those interested. I just called my friend to pass on the great news.
januaryman is offline   Reply With Quote