Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #751
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
If they got 300,000 screens and divided the color evenly between the the 3 colors, then that means 100,000 were sold.

Somehow, I doubt that.

More than likely, Espresso probably had the least number of the other two and was the first to sell out from Kobo's site.

But hey! What do I know?! I don't work for them!

Don
That's not how it usually works.
A buyer made a commitment, but it dose not mean whole batch of material will be put into production at one time. The usually schedule prodcution into smaller batches, adjust them accordingly.
Beside the capacity of the assemable line. Can you imagine the the storage cost for 300,000 boxes? What if it does not sell well? Should KOBO heavily discount the finished product to get cash? However, when it is made by smaller amount, E-ink can buy back unused materials for later use.
Of course, if KOBO is so confident to quickly sell all 300,000, it's entirely possible they already made 300,000. Let's not forgot, the number 300,000 was a rumor; regarding the rumor, I am not sure KOBO denies which parts of rumor.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:28 AM   #752
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Well painting the case with "Plastic Dip" worked out OK, but while I had the electronics
out of the case I some how broke the touchscreen function. None of my finger pushing
makes anything happen anymore.

I did a little tacky job trimming the edges and while it looked good and felt like a better
surface to grip, I decided to peel it off and go back to the normal case at least until
I can see if I can get the touchscreen back.

Luck;
Ken

PS; ordered a replacement today.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 05-04-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #753
Nil Einne
Connoisseur
Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I asked Kobo about when they are expecting more stock for the Espresso for their webstore, first I asked via email, before they opened for the day (Friday) I think but after quite a few hours with no reply and seeing someone mention their twitter in another thread, I decided to try it and they seemed to imply they're hoping to have more stock next week https://twitter.com/KoboHelp/status/330433977578041344
Nil Einne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #754
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
The pink goes well with the brown!
It really does, though I'd call it purple rather than pink.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #755
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Well painting the case with "Plastic Dip" worked out OK, but while I had the electronics
out of the case I some how broke the touchscreen function. None of my finger pushing
makes anything happen anymore.

I did a little tacky job trimming the edges and while it looked good and felt like a better
surface to grip, I decided to peel it off and go back to the normal case at least until
I can see if I can get the touchscreen back.

Luck;
Ken

PS; ordered a replacement today.
Oh no.....you can't fix it?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #756
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Oh no.....you can't fix it?
No, I can't find what is wrong, or more accurately, how it was damaged.
Everything looks as it should and everything I can see up to the point
that touchscreen input is required works normally. If you remove a
MicroSD card you get the pop-up message, the same for plugging into
a computer with the USB cable. Of course my finger pokes won't work
on those either. Just opening the case up and changing the internal
MicroSD card, should not, can not by themselves cause this. I am
guessing that static discharge is the most likely culprit, I'll be more
careful next time.

Luck;
Ken
Old 05-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #757
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It sounds like something damaged the IR sensors for the touch screen.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #758
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It sounds like something damaged the IR sensors for the touch screen.
IR (edge array)? They still use that for touch screens?
Did they ever use that for Portable Touch screens?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #759
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
IR (edge array)? They still use that for touch screens?
Did they ever use that for Portable Touch screens?
Pretty much all eInk readers (Sony, Nook, Kobo, Onyx i62) use Neonode's IR tech or something similar. The Kindle PW and Bookeen Odyssey use a capacitive screen (the Kindle Touch used IR), but I can't think of any others currently. The Onyx M92 uses Wacom/magnetic touch.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #760
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
No, I can't find what is wrong, or more accurately, how it was damaged.
Everything looks as it should and everything I can see up to the point
that touchscreen input is required works normally. If you remove a
MicroSD card you get the pop-up message, the same for plugging into
a computer with the USB cable. Of course my finger pokes won't work
on those either. Just opening the case up and changing the internal
MicroSD card, should not, can not by themselves cause this. I am
guessing that static discharge is the most likely culprit, I'll be more
careful next time.

Luck;
Ken

An interesting question is has anyone else opened up an Aura and had no problems on the reassembly? [I am not advocating that someone do this.]

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #761
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Pretty much all eInk readers (Sony, Nook, Kobo, Onyx i62) use Neonode's IR tech or something similar. The Kindle PW and Bookeen Odyssey use a capacitive screen (the Kindle Touch used IR), but I can't think of any others currently. The Onyx M92 uses Wacom/magnetic touch.
Learned something

The MR Matrix just mostly said Yes, Might be more informative to reflect the technology used
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #762
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
An interesting question is has anyone else opened up an Aura and had no problems on the reassembly? [I am not advocating that someone do this.]

Don
Just a quick word echoing the caution in the above message. Users absolutely should NOT try and open up the device, there are a few precisely placed components that may be displaced by doing so, and the device could stop functioning properly.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #763
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Just a quick word echoing the caution in the above message. Users absolutely should NOT try and open up the device, there are a few precisely placed components that may be displaced by doing so, and the device could stop functioning properly.
That statement may be good CYA, but it is total nonsense. It is all one part.
Any "precisely placed components" are firmly taped together into a solid unit
on an "aluminum?" frame. No moveable parts, except the uSD card.

I don't know how I managed to disable the touchscreen, but it, for sure, was not
due to some component becoming misaligned.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 05-07-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #764
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
That statement may be good CYA, but it is total nonsense. It is all one part.
Any "precisely placed components" are firmly taped together into a solid unit
on an "aluminum?" frame. No moveable parts, except the uSD card.

I don't know how I managed to disable the touchscreen, but it, for sure, was not
due to some component becoming misaligned.

Luck;
Ken
I must say you are taking it well, and not heaping the blame on Kobo where many would

Hope you manage to fix it but if not nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:31 PM   #765
khromov
Connoisseur
khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Is the Aura HD still worth getting at this time, or should you hold out for the next model? I doubt there will be an increase in resolution but perhaps a better looking screen.

Anyone keep track of the timeline for Kobo product announces? When can we expect new models soon?
khromov is offline   Reply With Quote