Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #271
julo
Enthusiast
julo began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505,900,T2
I give up ... finding my answer with googling. Here is my question:
I have a prs-900 which more and more frequently shows question marks instead of letters. On googling and further investigation I found that the native font just does not have the required glyphs.

The only solution I found here all involve CSSs and Calibre, but I do not want to modify the ePubs with Calibre or any other program.

What I am looking for is either to install a different, more inclusive, fonts or use a different, more inclusive, font and rename it to the native font name.

Can it be done? Has it been done? If so where is it descibed?

Any help would be very much appreciated.
julo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:12 AM   #272
kbear
kbear is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by julo View Post
I give up ... finding my answer with googling. Here is my question:
I have a prs-900 which more and more frequently shows question marks instead of letters. On googling and further investigation I found that the native font just does not have the required glyphs.

The only solution I found here all involve CSSs and Calibre, but I do not want to modify the ePubs with Calibre or any other program.

What I am looking for is either to install a different, more inclusive, fonts or use a different, more inclusive, font and rename it to the native font name.

Can it be done? Has it been done? If so where is it descibed?

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Try this alternative firmware, which makes it very easy to install custom fonts. And has a ton of other features to boot. I used it in my PRS-505, and never looked back.
kbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:06 AM   #273
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
kbear
Sorry to correct you, but PRS+ is not available for models 700 and 900.

@julo
But you may search on the-ebook.org for a "russification package by boroda (aka porkupan her at MR) or amutin. - Use google-translate if needed.

This mod fw is primary meant a enably support for Cyrillic, but it embedds a modified font, maybe supporting also your missing glyphs.

Otherwise I see no other way as to go with CSS and calibre.
HTH
Mark
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #274
julo
Enthusiast
julo began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505,900,T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord
But you may search on the-ebook.org for a "russification package by boroda (aka porkupan here at MR) or amutin. - Use google-translate if needed.
Since my post and a lot of trepidation I installed the (boroda) Russification flash. Installed without problems and is working, btw, but gives me much more than I need or want.

I was hoping for ONLY the font package. Looking through many threads and posts here at MR there are some hints but I never found a definite answer, especially in regard to the 900.

Last edited by julo; 07-21-2012 at 07:12 AM.
julo is offline   Reply With Quote