Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 01-12-2008, 09:24 PM   #1
cathyWeeks
Enthusiast
cathyWeeks doesn't littercathyWeeks doesn't littercathyWeeks doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Creative Commons books?

Ok,
I found a copy of Vernor Vinge's Rainbows End in the Creative Commons, in .html format. This is a recently published book, so it's certainly NOT in the public domain, though because it's in the Creative Commons, there are *some* limited usage rights. Is it acceptable/legal/reasonable to convert to .prc and post it here?

I'm planning to try and wade through the legal stuff, but wondered if anyone already happened to know what the rules are? Thanks.
cathyWeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The matter has come up before. Mr. Vinge doesn't want the story converted.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...inge#post90881
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:38 PM   #3
cathyWeeks
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The matter has come up before. Mr. Vinge doesn't want the story converted.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...inge#post90881
Thanks so much! I guess it'll go on my Kindle, and no further. It's a great book.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:38 PM   #4
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyWeeks View Post
Ok,
I found a copy of Vernor Vinge's Rainbows End in the Creative Commons, in .html format. This is a recently published book, so it's certainly NOT in the public domain, though because it's in the Creative Commons, there are *some* limited usage rights. Is it acceptable/legal/reasonable to convert to .prc and post it here?

I'm planning to try and wade through the legal stuff, but wondered if anyone already happened to know what the rules are? Thanks.
See this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=vinge

Offhand, I'd say "convert for your own use, but don't distribute".
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:46 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
The places where I find the text it does not say it has a creative commons license. And when Vernor Vinge stated he did not want it converted then the text was not under a creative commons license. If it now has such a license it might be OK to convert it and put it up.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:43 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I can't find any sign that it was released under CC.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:19 PM   #7
cathyWeeks
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I can't find any sign that it was released under CC.
Hmmm... I know I found the book by going to the CC site, and searching there. However, it looks like you might be right. Sigh... I may have misunderstood the situation.

So if a book HAS been released under CC (which I now believe this one has not been), IS it permissible to convert and distribute? Or does it vary from book to book, or author to author?
Old 01-12-2008, 11:38 PM   #8
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyWeeks View Post
So if a book HAS been released under CC (which I now believe this one has not been), IS it permissible to convert and distribute? Or does it vary from book to book, or author to author?
I think that would depend upon the CC license used. See here for info:
http://creativecommons.org/about/license/
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:58 PM   #9
cathyWeeks
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I think that would depend upon the CC license used. See here for info:
http://creativecommons.org/about/license/
______
Dennis
Thanks, Dennis!
Old 01-13-2008, 03:09 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There are different types of CC licence, which grant different rights. One has to read the specific licence to find out which one it is, and what rights it grants one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote