Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #18001
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool An official cover for James Potter and the Morrigan Web

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
...James Potter and the Morrigan Web seems to be an omen of good fortune. So for now that pause will be filled with the new G. Norman Lippert book!

Oh, since George delivered it without a cover I cobbled one together and I've attached it to this post for anybody who wants to use it. Mouse-click it for a full-size view.

Attachment 109893
Quote:
...My son Matt and I worked on the Morrigan Web cover a little and here's a new version of it. ...
Attachment 110113
When Morrigan Web came out there was no cover included, so I cobbled one together and posted it for anybody's use. Recently an official cover has appeared and I've posted it in another thread.

See that post below:

Quote:

Download a larger version here

Finally an official cover for James Potter and the Morrigan Web has appeared!

Last edited by alansplace; 10-24-2013 at 10:40 PM. Reason: oops!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:12 AM   #18002
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange! View Post
Coincidentally, I'm reading Outlander right now. Apparently from the reviews on Goodreads, a lot of people are turned off by some of the plot elements.

I haven't gotten that far in the book yet, but so far it seems to be very well-written.
I'm not sure I'd enjoy it as a regular book, but it was quite good and compelling as an audio book. And one certainly gets one's money's worth, since it only costs a single monthly Audible credit.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:15 AM   #18003
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I know, and you're right. I just have an aversion to abandoning books. I really should have given up on it when it was obvious that it wasn't my cup of tea.
You need to get over this aversion and start to think of abandonment as empowering. You're taking control of your reading. Seriously, a bad book is just that, and not worth the cost of reading it (your time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I am getting better at this. I think I've abandoned 9 books this year.
Bravo for you, Paul. I've only managed to abandon 3. But that's still way better than I used to be.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:59 AM   #18004
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I've only about 60 pages left to finish To Dream of the Dead by Phil Rickman (#10 Merrily Watkins). Another great story, not so much about Merrily's job as an exorcist this time but more about personal matters and decisions and a flood during Christmas. The twelfth book in the series is released in three weeks, just a couple of days before I go on holiday, I'm hoping I can get myself to wait to start reading it during my holiday.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #18005
miklizro
Enthusiast
miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3 running Aldiko and Kindle and Kindle 3 keyboard
Just finished book 4 of Angus Donald's, Outlaw Chronicles. A very gritty take on Robin Hood from the point of view of Alan Dale. Nice to have something so new on an old legend.
Very gory at times, almost off-putting for me, the narrative is gripping.
miklizro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:49 AM   #18006
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange! View Post
Coincidentally, I'm reading Outlander right now. Apparently from the reviews on Goodreads, a lot of people are turned off by some of the plot elements.

I haven't gotten that far in the book yet, but so far it seems to be very well-written.
I thoroughly enjoyed Outlander, and thought that subsequent books in the series were even better. It's one of my favourite series. Enjoy!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #18007
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Trade Secret by Lee and Miller.
Perhaps it was me, but I didn't really get into this one. Perhaps it would have helped to re-read Balance of Trade beforehand.

Next up: Deep Wizardry (New Millennium Edition) by Diane Duane. I've just bought this as part of the nine-volume set now available.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #18008
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle K3 wi-fi, Nexus 7 + Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklizro View Post
Just finished book 4 of Angus Donald's, Outlaw Chronicles. A very gritty take on Robin Hood from the point of view of Alan Dale. Nice to have something so new on an old legend.
Very gory at times, almost off-putting for me, the narrative is gripping.
Sounds very interesting--thanks for the recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed Outlander, and thought that subsequent books in the series were even better. It's one of my favourite series. Enjoy!
Thanks for the encouragement--knowing they get better might get me through the violent sex that so many people seem to bewail in the first book.
orange! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #18009
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I finished To Dream of the Dead (Phil Rickman), I loved the book but wasn't too wild about the ending; too abrupt for me.

I've just started Paul Draker's New Year Island, I had it on my Amazon wishlist for a while and earlier in the week it was on offer for €1.99 so I snapped it up. It's about 10 people who are survivors of one thing or another who get fooled (from what I've read so far) into coming together. They end up on an island and one by one they are killed to find the ultimate survivor. I've read about 65 pages so for (of over 700) and it's promissing, especially since it's the debut of this author.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #18010
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Found a more colorful cover

Quote:
When Morrigan Web came out there was no cover included, so I cobbled one together and posted it for anybody's use. Recently an official cover has appeared and I've posted it in another thread...
Attachment 113983

Just found a more colorful version of the new cover!

Old 10-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #18011
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Kerry Greenwood & Jim Butcher

Quote:
I finished reading Mistborn: The Final Empire last evening and I must say that I enjoyed it immensely. Eventually I'll need to read the other two novels in the trilogy as well since I feel the need to find out what happens with Vin and the crew and also for Eland too!

The next book that I'll be reading will be The Green Mill Murder (Phryne Fisher #5) by Kerry Greenwood.
I liked The Green Mill Murder a lot and was gratified to find Phryne flying her Gipsy Moth (named Rigel) again!

Next, I'm going back to my annual re-read (I paused this re-read a while back so it would end a little closer to the Publication date of Book #15, Skin Game) of Jim Butcher's, The Dresden Files. with Changes (The Dresden Files #12)!

Last edited by alansplace; 10-25-2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: oops!
Old 10-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #18012
Paul Draker
Author
Paul Draker began at the beginning.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I finished To Dream of the Dead (Phil Rickman), I loved the book but wasn't too wild about the ending; too abrupt for me.

I've just started Paul Draker's New Year Island, I had it on my Amazon wishlist for a while and earlier in the week it was on offer for €1.99 so I snapped it up. It's about 10 people who are survivors of one thing or another who get fooled (from what I've read so far) into coming together. They end up on an island and one by one they are killed to find the ultimate survivor. I've read about 65 pages so for (of over 700) and it's promissing, especially since it's the debut of this author.
Oddly enough, Rickman's my favorite author, and I've reread all his books many, many times. Eagerly awaiting the next Merrily Watkins, although my favorites are still The Lamp of the Wicked and Prayer of the Night Shepherd.
Paul Draker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #18013
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
[B]Next up is Brother Odd by Dean Koontz, book 3 of the Odd Thomas series.
Good, quick read as expected. Odd is very droll which cracks me up some times.

Next up is Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. I have heard good things about this, but it is one of the longer books I have read recently. I was a little hesitant to start something this long since I have been enjoying the shorter (3-400 page) books recently and I am worried about the length of the book club selection for November.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #18014
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'm in a holding pattern now as I anxiously await Simon Haynes (Spacejock on MR) to finish Part 10 (the conclusion) of his excellent serialized novel Hal Spacejock 7: Big Bang.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #18015
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've finished Kindred by Octavia E. Butler and I give it a thumbs up. Very good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote