Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-25-2012, 06:21 AM   #1
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
If you don't want copyright?

I understand books are automatically under copyright. What if you want to release your books either now or at the time of your death to the public domain? How would you go about it?
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
collective commons, statement of release in the book itself, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped..._public_domain
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
There's also various versions of the Gnu Public License. I've got a few pieces GPLed on various websites right now.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's worth noting that neither the GPL nor Creative Commons are "public domain"; they are both forms of copyright. If you want to place a work into the public domain, simply put a statement in the front of it saying something like "This work is in the public domain".

Make sure that the public domain really is what you want, though. Anyone can do anything they want with a work that's in the public domain: modify it and re-publish it under their own name, commercially sell it - absolutely anything.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
bigjantailor
Defender of Consciousness
bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Not sure if this question is in exactly the right spot but I'll go for it. I have a book that I am thinking of publishing but I'm not going to sell it - I'm going to give it for free. The book has quite a few quotes some of which I am certian are from works not it public domian. Do I have to worry about using those copyrighted quotes if I'm not making a profit and I'm agnolaging the creator (thank god - joke)?

Thanks, have fun, Jan
bigjantailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Seriously, think about GPL or Creative Commons. I've released a number of photographs into the wild, but all protected by Creative Commons, usually CC BY-SA (Attribution-ShareAlike). See following URL for various CC licenses.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If you want to place something in the public domain, just accompanying it with that statement should do. If you want something a tiny bit more formal, the unlicense should do it.

http://unlicense.org/
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjantailor View Post
Not sure if this question is in exactly the right spot but I'll go for it. I have a book that I am thinking of publishing but I'm not going to sell it - I'm going to give it for free. The book has quite a few quotes some of which I am certian are from works not it public domian. Do I have to worry about using those copyrighted quotes if I'm not making a profit and I'm agnolaging the creator (thank god - joke)?

Thanks, have fun, Jan
Did you properly attribute the quotes to their source?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's worth noting that neither the GPL nor Creative Commons are "public domain"; they are both forms of copyright. If you want to place a work into the public domain, simply put a statement in the front of it saying something like "This work is in the public domain".

Make sure that the public domain really is what you want, though. Anyone can do anything they want with a work that's in the public domain: modify it and re-publish it under their own name, commercially sell it - absolutely anything.
You mean like Shakespeare's plays? I don't think that would be a problem for me after my death as long as someone else didn't try to limit it by trying to claim a copyright of it for themselves. Let my books be free.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You said "now" as well as at the time of your death in your original post. That was the reason for my caution.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
crossi
Guru

What do most authors do who have no close kin that they would want to leave their book rights to? Just let the rights sit in limbo for the next 70 years? Horrible thought. How many lost books there must be.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #12
Edward M. Grant
Zealot
Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
How many lost books there must be.
Lots. When a friend wanted the movie rights to a book which had been out of print for a few decades they had a heck of a time finding who owned them; the publisher had no idea, the author's relatives had no idea, the will said nothing about the book.
Edward M. Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #13
crossi
Guru

David Eddings is dead and his books aren't available (in the US).
Heron Carvic is dead and his books aren't available.
Louise Cooper is dead and her books aren't available.
There seems to be a trend here. I hope their books are only temporarily lost.
Copyright is fine but the non-existant system for tracking who owns the rights is terrible.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #14
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Once again... I you're serious about making sure that your work stays available, but that you continue to be attributed as the author, do look into either GPL or CC licenses.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
David Eddings is dead and his books aren't available (in the US).
Heron Carvic is dead and his books aren't available.
Louise Cooper is dead and her books aren't available.
There seems to be a trend here. I hope their books are only temporarily lost.
Copyright is fine but the non-existant system for tracking who owns the rights is terrible.
Strange - when I look at amazon.com I see David Eddings' books for sale.