Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #31
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Perhaps this thread should be in the - Kindle - section?

Especially with the Kindle tech's explaination that the device has a different screen
chemistry.

As to cleaning the screens of my devices, I use this:

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2583/.f

It comes with a microfiber cloth, and suggests that you spray the cloth not your
device.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #32
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Perhaps this thread should be in the - Kindle - section?

Especially with the Kindle tech's explaination that the device has a different screen
chemistry.

As to cleaning the screens of my devices, I use this:

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2583/.f

It comes with a microfiber cloth, and suggests that you spray the cloth not your
device.

Luck;
Ken
Aren't the screens on e-ink readers all manufactured by the same company or something? I would think that this warning would apply to any of them, not just the Kindle. The "different screen chemistry" comment is--from what I understand--in regards to eink vs LCD rather than Kindle vs all other screens.

The only thing that's Amazon centric about the thread is that the OP received excellent customer service but that was really mostly a side topic.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So far all I've used has been a microfiber cloth, water, and/or some spit. That works and I'm good to go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:18 PM   #34
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Well, in any case, you shouldn't use it anymore even if it worked so far for your LCD. A cleaner that does this to any display is not safe to use.
Good advice. I won't use it on anything. Thanks to everyone for the advice and commiseration.

Last edited by Kevin8or; 10-08-2011 at 08:39 PM. Reason: typo/grammer
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:23 AM   #35
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
You never sneezed while reading?
Maybe he's not allergic to reading, like some of us......wait......what?

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:25 AM   #36
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
The only thing I've ever used on my displays have been things specifically designed for displays or glasses. Even still, I am hesitant to use them, and also use very little. Best thing to do is to use a microfiber cloth dry. If you do need a wet cleaner, put a tiny bit on to a cloth, and then wipe with the cloth. When I've used a wet cleaner on my reader, I used a prepackaged wetwipe meant for glasses, which was mostly water and isopropyl alcohol, and used very lightly. eInk screens are glass based, and mine doesn't have any touch layers, so it is relatively safe. I'd be resistant to try that on ones with touch interfaces, with possible exception of ones with IR touch interfaces.

^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #37
witeowl
Hopeless Geek
witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color (manual nooter)
Stop using detergents with your microfiber cloths!

Because of the nature of microfiber, you don't actually need any cleaning solvents (soap, detergent, whatever). Instead, all you need is water. So, if you have a microfiber cloth, just get one corner damp (not wet), wipe with the damp end, then dry with the other end.
witeowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:20 AM   #38
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by witeowl View Post
Because of the nature of microfiber, you don't actually need any cleaning solvents (soap, detergent, whatever). Instead, all you need is water. So, if you have a microfiber cloth, just get one corner damp (not wet), wipe with the damp end, then dry with the other end.
In general, I agree. I do not use any solvent type cleaners on my glasses or screens.

but I have run into things that a tiny bit of detergent, with a microfiber cloth, was MUCH easier to deal with, than without the detergent.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
In general, I agree. I do not use any solvent type cleaners on my glasses or screens.

but I have run into things that a tiny bit of detergent, with a microfiber cloth, was MUCH easier to deal with, than without the detergent.
Agreed. If the screen gets REALLY yucky (eg if your 3-year-old nephew has picked it up with jam-smeared hands ) a wipe with a dishcloth dipped in warm soapy water and then wrung-out, before using the microfibre cloth for a final "polish" works well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #40
witeowl
Hopeless Geek
witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color (manual nooter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post

No doubt, just as (back in the days of cleaning regularly with detergent) I would pull out the heavy-duty cleanser on the stuck-on grime. But that doesn't mean I'd jump straight to the heavy-duty cleanser for every mess. Similarly, people shouldn't jump to microfiber+cleanser when microfiber+water will likely work.

My message was aimed at the millions of people (of whatever fraction of that read MRF) who seem to think that microfiber is useful only with special cleansers when, in fact, it's most useful as a product which can eliminate the need for even regular cleansers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Agreed. If the screen gets REALLY yucky (eg if your 3-year-old nephew has picked it up with jam-smeared hands ) a wipe with a dishcloth dipped in warm soapy water and then wrung-out, before using the microfibre cloth for a final "polish" works well.
I challenge you to try it next time with only the microfiber and water. Jam is really just sugar and should be easily cleaned with the basics. Try it. I'll even bet a shiny quarter that it'll work just as well.
witeowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #41
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Talking Consumer review...

I have tried the "instructions" on the mocrofibre packet, and attacked a VERY greasy oven hob with a dry m/f cloth - and to my surprise, it worked perfectly .
Bit more elbow grease than with a cleaner gunk - but then you dont have to rinse it etc..
If you're a bug freak you can spray it afterwards I suppose, which, being a bug fanatic, you'd do anyway !

But they are designed to be used without any cleaning agent.

And damp on a cloth is all that's necessary for stubborn stuff.

And they're so cheap - 3 or 4 for £1 @ Poundland (that's a surprise price,,) and any will do - you see large "car m'f cloths" - they're all the same stuff.

And they are great as emergency towels for camping - you'd be surprised what you can dry with one ...
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #42
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I work a lot with home theater gear (LCD, Plasma televisions) and screen cleaning often comes up.

The guys at HDNation have a show about screen cleaning where they talk about 'polishing' a spot on a screen, using cleaners that melt plastic, penetrate glass (ammonia) and dissolve anti-glare coating. The thing that seems to work consistently is a 50:50 water and alcohol solution (using Deionized/purified water) and the micro-fiber cloth. (See link below).

Monster sells a "Screen Cleaning Kit" for about $15 with a spray bottle of 50:50 water and alcohol and a micro-fiber cloth. This is probably best for most people.

http://revision3.com/hdnation/screenclean
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #43
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
All I've ever had to do on my touch screen PRS650 was to breathe a hot breath on it and use a microfiber. That gets rid of any spots or blemishes I've ever had on it.

On my laptop's LCD, I just tab a little water and go to town with a microfiber. Any time I've seen an LCD cleaner, it left a lot of residue. Witnessed a brand new iMac get tarnished that way. Why bother, and waste money?
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #44
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So far all I've used has been a microfiber cloth, water, and/or some spit. That works and I'm good to go.
Me, too - on eink Sony or LCD Nook Color. I don't even understand what the 'cleaner' is for. Water and microfiber is a winning combination for just about anything.

I clean my glasses with a microfiber cloth and some Dawn and warm water.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #45
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
As I said before, a SMALL amount of detergent helps.

Emphasis on the SMALL. Like a drop in a pint of water, small amount.

Detergents work by reducing surface tension, helping the water wet the material.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clean, cleaner, cleaning, screen