Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 03:11 PM   #61
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
So, I downloaded all the pirate editions - including Deathly Hallows - which I had the day before the official release of the dead tree version.
The lack of an official ebook version might be a "fair use" defense in the US, although it is a stretch. From How Team Tenenbaum missed a chance to shape P2P fair use law:
Quote:
Likewise, a defendant who used the new file-sharing networks in the technological interregnum before digital media could be purchased legally, but who later shifted to paid outlets, might also be able to rely on the defense.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #62
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
And the article further bstates "Recent statistics have shown that consumers who purchase an e-reader buy more books than those who stick with traditional bound volumes. Amazon reports that Kindle owners buy, on average, 3.1 times as many books on the site as other customers." and goes on to say that piracy may be a 'necessary evil'
3.1 times as much That's pretty crazy huh. IMO if you give people an easy way to purchase electronically they will do so in greater quantities than they would have bought in print.

If you give them no way to buy it electronically they will pirate.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #63
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, I'm afraid that I can't agree with you that, but it's entirely unrelated to copyright terms. When record companies lobbied the British government to increase music performance copyright beyond the current 50 years, they were very soundly rebuffed by the government's advisory committee on copyright.

And once they were rebuffed, did they not attempt to accomplish the same thing with the EU legislature, so that Britain would be nudged to put it in anyway in the name of "EU Harmonization"?
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:48 AM   #64
Wickedkitten
Wickedkitten began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
Book piracy has been going on for well over a decade now, it's just become more mainstream now that e-book readers are huge.
Wickedkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #65
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I tried to buy the next release in an SF series from Fictionwise last night. Never had issues with purchasing books in the series before until the dreaded geographic restrictions notice popped up to stare down at me.

Got the same book at Diesel at the same price 5 minutes later without issue.

Faced with these issues and often complicated workarounds there is little wonder that readers who want the book but cannot purchase turn to other means in frustration
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 06:28 PM   #66
cian
Enthusiast
cian will become famous soon enoughcian will become famous soon enoughcian will become famous soon enoughcian will become famous soon enoughcian will become famous soon enoughcian will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs505
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Faced with these issues and often complicated workarounds there is little wonder that readers who want the book but cannot purchase turn to other means in frustration
Or the other experience of buying an ebook and discovering that its so poorly formatted, or proof read, that you have to fix the thing... Once I have fixed it, its very tempting to chuck it on the filesharing sites so other people benefit...
cian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #67
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
One reason why PC Games that don't have a major online component are dying is because of piracy. The developers would rather make games for the consoles than have 90% of the PC version pirated. The PC version is often delayed by several months because of piracy. I see a similar fate awaiting ebooks.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #68
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
One reason why PC Games that don't have a major online component are dying is because of piracy. The developers would rather make games for the consoles than have 90% of the PC version pirated. The PC version is often delayed by several months because of piracy. I see a similar fate awaiting ebooks.

/begin sarcasm/

Because nobody ever pirated a console game. Never happened. No way.

/end sarcasm/

VATOS, SWAG, SPARE, STRANGE, CLANDESTINE, DAGGER...just a few of your friendly neighborhood console game ripping groups

Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #69
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
Evidence? I don't know anyone who buys a game & then hands out copies. IMO PC games are dying because shareware is getting better. Although I have seen it done at LAN parties, now that I think of it. But those are mostly online games anyway, right? (Or at least networked games, but since I don't play games I'm not sure whether they used an Internet gaming service or simply networked with each other.)
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:42 PM   #70
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Some types of PC games may currently be in decline - but in general games on PC aren't dying.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #71
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
/begin sarcasm/

/end sarcasm/

VATOS, SWAG, SPARE, STRANGE, CLANDESTINE, DAGGER...just a few of your friendly neighborhood console game ripping groups

Circle gets the square! Win.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:44 AM   #72
humble tim
humble tim began at the beginning.

Device: computer
Talking honestly...

honestly i download ebooks (and other things) because i dont like paying for them. thats the blunt truth. i do partly feel that the music, gaming and film industries are fat and bloated in many ways, this is my personal (partial) self-justification for downloading.

specifically for ebooks, however, i download them because i live in New Zealand and we often dont get books (except best sellers which i almost always despise) until over a year after their release. not to download would be llike waiting a year to open a present which is figuratively in the next room, very annoying. also, i only read a fraction of what i download and i still buy books sometimes because i love the feel of paper in my hands and i love turning the pages. staring at an e-reader is just as bad as watching excessive tv or playing too many video games...and you cant even read it in the bath :P.

i cant give my real name (the fbi are always watching! haha)

regards,

humble tim

ps: the layout of this website is the same as that of the one i use to find illegal downloads. it feels...comforting
humble tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:48 AM   #73
humble tim
humble tim began at the beginning.

Device: computer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
/begin sarcasm/

/end sarcasm/

awesome! now your sig is mine! mouhahaha
humble tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:51 AM   #74
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by humble tim View Post
awesome! now your sig is mine! mouhahaha
Pirate! Pirate! You all saw him!!! Hunt him down and fine him a billion dollars for every song he ever whistled, and a trillion for every time he ever remembered a film he saw!!!!
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:21 AM   #75
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
There's a VERY SIMPLE solution for all this. Make photocopiers, word processing apps (someone could, after all, sit there and type it in), screen capturers, OCR apps and digital cameras illegal to own or operate. Then create the Mother Of All DRM and make it illegal to sell an ebook without MOAD installed.

Derek
Nop, you can make like Spanish government (stimulated by SGAE: Spain Author General Society and CEDRO): we pay a fee at all these electronic devices and the entities collect the money "for the authors"
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote