Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-13-2015, 07:45 PM   #1
Elodoriel
Elodoriel began at the beginning.

Device: none
Paperwhite 3, Glo HD or Aura H2O?

Hello.

I’m going to be purchasing an e-ink reader later this week. I’ve read scores of reviews, but having discovered this website, I finally have a means of asking the opinions of average users, so I’m hoping that you can help me out. I’m currently reading on my Samsung Galaxy S6 and on my laptop. I purchase my ebooks from a variety of stores, prioritising epub but I haven’t shied away from Amazon if they’ve been cheaper or had a book exclusively. All of my ebooks have been cleansed and backed up, and I meticulously organise their metadata into a state of uniformity in Calibre, converting them where necessary. It’s where my obsession with sorting my bookshelf and buying the prettiest editions transferred itself…

So: I have access to Kindles and Kobos in-person. I don’t want to buy online, because the stores selling these readers both have excellent returns policies, and I see lots of complaints about faulty screens from both companies. It’ll just be less of a hassle. I want a front-lit reader, which narrows my choice to what is available at said brick-and-mortar stores: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura and Kobo Aura H2O. At the moment, I’m tossing up between the Paperwhite 3, Glo HD and Aura H2O.

The Kindle seems to have the lion’s share of the market, and I don’t mind converting my books if I need to. The Glo HD, if I’m not mistaken, is Kobo’s direct competitor to the Paperwhite 3? In any case, they’re the same price as each other in my local stores; unless I receive information to discourage me to from buying the Glo HD, I’ll be leaning more towards that than the Kindle because of the accepted formats. I know that I can convert my books - after all, I convert all of my Amazon purchases - but I’d rather not deal with the potential formatting problems, you know? I have a lot of poetry; poor formatting would slaughter the readability.

Speaking of poetry, the Aura H2O has two very persuasive features for me: the larger screen, and the waterproofing. I read poetry frequently; I’m studying the Arts, so it’s essential. It’s far easier to read poetry on my laptop than my phone because of screen real estate. The Aura H2O’s larger screen seems like it would aid in reading poetry immensely. It looks, to my uneducated eyes, as though it’s just large enough to make the experience comfortable. Furthermore, the 6-inch screens remind me of mass-market paperbacks. As a former hardcover devotee, MMP size seems slightly on the small end of the spectrum. As for the waterproofing, I read in the tub. At the moment I simply take a paper book with me, but it’d be nice not to have a separate book on the go solely for tub reading!

I’ve played with all five available readers in-store, and to me it all seems like much of a muchness, with the exception of the H2O being comfortably larger. (The only issue there is that the price hike isn’t quite as comfortable.) I’m not experienced enough in this technology to make an educated choice based on the live demo models alone, so I’m hoping that you folks can help me: Should I be splurging for a H2O based on my reading preferences, or are the Paperwhite 3 and Glo HD fine enough on their own? If so, when format isn’t considered, should I choose one over the other for any specific reasons?

Last edited by Elodoriel; 10-13-2015 at 07:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Elodoriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:51 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Whichever one you want.
There are people happy and unhappy with all models.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2015, 07:55 PM   #3
Elodoriel

I understand that, Cinisajoy, but at the very least the Kobo Aura H2O does seem to have enough significant differences that it's worthwhile to ask people their opinions of each device. What's the point in having a "which one should I buy?" forum if the automatic response is going to be "whichever one you want"...?
Old 10-13-2015, 07:55 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you would prefer a larger screen than 6", my recommendation is the H2O and you get a very nice 6.8" screen. If you want a 6" screen, my recommendation is the Glo HD. Kobo is not playing the games that Amazon is with typesetting. Amazon is using a new format called KFX to give the enhanced typesetting. Kobo just works with ePub. Also, Kobo gives more options and the screens/lighting is very nice. I'm not saying the screen/light is not good with the PW3. But if you want an ePub capable Reader, Kobo is a good choice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #5
Elodoriel

Thank you, JSWolf. My library already is all in ePub, so I'm only considering the Kindle if there's some "essential" feature that I wasn't aware of when I played with the demo models - if Amazon is restrictive about the typesetting compared to Kobo, that's definitely going to push me towards Kobo.
Advert
Old 10-13-2015, 08:02 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elodoriel View Post
Thank you, JSWolf. My library already is all in ePub, so I'm only considering the Kindle if there's some "essential" feature that I wasn't aware of when I played with the demo models - if Amazon is restrictive about the typesetting compared to Kobo, that's definitely going to push me towards Kobo.
You cannot get the enhanced typesetting on a PW3 from any side loaded KF8 or Mobi eBook. Since you do use ePub at your library, then it's a simple matter of which screen size do you want. Personally, I prefer the 6.8" screen.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:05 PM   #7
Elodoriel

Thank you so much. You're being so helpful! I do want the larger screen, I'm just debating whether it's worth the extra money. I suppose that in the long term, it'll pay for itself in terms of comfort...
Old 10-13-2015, 08:07 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thank you so much. You're being so helpful! I do want the larger screen, I'm just debating whether it's worth the extra money. I suppose that in the long term, it'll pay for itself in terms of comfort...
When I bought my H2O, there was no Glo HD and the choices I had was the H2o or the Voyage in terms of high resolution Carta screens. I went with the H2O because I wanted the larger screen and I would do it again.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:09 PM   #9
Elodoriel

Excellent! I guess I'll get the H2O!
Old 10-13-2015, 08:11 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Excellent! I guess I'll get the H2O!
Good choice!
Old 10-13-2015, 08:53 PM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I was just answering your you have seen complaints on both.
My personal choice would be the H2O if it came with the Amazon store.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:13 AM   #12
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I love my H2O. What country are you in?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:19 AM   #13
Elodoriel

I would rather not disclose that.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:31 AM   #14
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
I would rather not disclose that.
...ok, Secret Squirrel?

Some of the features/benefits/drawbacks are country-specific, like library book availability.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:37 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If outside the USA and you do use Overdrive, than an ePub Reader is best. No Kindle books via Overdrive outside the USA.