Notices

View Poll Results: Which type of Kindle PW you ordered
wifi 44 75.86%
3G 14 24.14%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Which one are you ordering: PW2 wifi or PW2 3G

Just curious ....

Poll only for those that ordered one or are planing to order one.

What people are buying or ordering online? I always liked the advantages of 3G but the true is that more and more places (at least in USA) are giving free wifi anyway.

--- EDIT ---

Ops, moderator(s)? I think I created the poll in the wrong forum, Kindle Fire, but my thread is still valid :-) ... anyone that can move it to the right one? Thanks.

Last edited by jocampo; 10-24-2013 at 02:03 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I got the wifi. Just this morning validated my choice. I had bought a book yesterday. Was about to run out of the house and hadn't put it on my Kindle, so I quickly sent it over. When I opened the book it looked hideous. I couldn't read it. It was left aligned, and of course, didn't have my font.

So being that I always edit my books before loading them to the kindle, no use for me to have 3g ever. It would be different if it was a Kindle Fire. I'd love to have the HDX with AT&T. But WAY out of my price range.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I got the wifi. Just this morning validated my choice. I had bought a book yesterday. Was about to run out of the house and hadn't put it on my Kindle, so I quickly sent it over. When I opened the book it looked hideous. I couldn't read it. It was left aligned, and of course, didn't have my font.

So being that I always edit my books before loading them to the kindle, no use for me to have 3g ever. It would be different if it was a Kindle Fire. I'd love to have the HDX with AT&T. But WAY out of my price range.
Interesting.

So why 3G on the Fire and not on the PW? Is because the Fire is a tablet? means ... email, browsing, etc?

I could not wait and bought a PW2 wifi from BB. No complains about screen quality but not sure if I should return or keep it. My PW1 is 3G and love the convenience or being able to download my ebooks from the cloud (or buy) especially when I am traveling outside of USA.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Interesting.

So why 3G on the Fire and not on the PW? Is because the Fire is a tablet? means ... email, browsing, etc?
Exactly. If I had data on a tablet I could do flipboard and email etc. But I would never use 3G on a paperwhite to get books...unless they were books I had fixed and uploaded to the cloud....that might work. I have bought quite a few books from Amazon that had serious formatting issues. I don't trust them. If I was going out of the country, as you suggest, I would just put 1000 books on it, and that would be plenty. No 3G needed.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

WiFi only for me. I can use my iPhone as a WiFi hotspot. I always have the iPhone with me, so if I needed to be connected with a tablet or Kindle I can just use the iPhone as a WiFi hotspot.
Advert
Old 10-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Wi-fi for me.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
WiFi only for me. I can use my iPhone as a WiFi hotspot. I always have the iPhone with me, so if I needed to be connected with a tablet or Kindle I can just use the iPhone as a WiFi hotspot.
Yeah, I thought about that. But I have Tmobile, which is not particularly fast at work. It is ok at home though, but I have Internet at home, of course.

Thinking in moving to Verizon but not sure if I can use my iPhone as wifi hotspot on Verizon for free. That move will cost me more than getting the 3G version.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Yeah, I thought about that. But I have Tmobile, which is not particularly fast at work. It is ok at home though, but I have Internet at home, of course.

Thinking in moving to Verizon but not sure if I can use my iPhone as wifi hotspot on Verizon for free. That move will cost me more than getting the 3G version.
I've got T-Mobile too. My LTE is actually faster than my Time Warner Cable internet service, which really isn't saying much I guess. But I do like the fact that I get unlimited everything from T-Mobile for $30/month less than what AT&T or Verizon wanted at the time. Besides, I was tired of dropped calls with AT&T. I've had no dropped calls since switching to T-Mobile in April.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I voted WiFi for me. I rarely leave my house and my WiFi network has a strong signal everywhere.

Only travelers away from home a lot need 3G.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I've got T-Mobile too. My LTE is actually faster than my Time Warner Cable internet service, which really isn't saying much I guess. But I do like the fact that I get unlimited everything from T-Mobile for $30/month less than what AT&T or Verizon wanted at the time. Besides, I was tired of dropped calls with AT&T. I've had no dropped calls since switching to T-Mobile in April.
True!

Few reasons why I am still with Tmobile

-Not paid by me, but my wife (based on family budget)
-Tmobile plans are less expensive
-Free data outside USA (if I am not mistaken. And will be useful if that's correct when I visit my family in South America)

However, my iPad mini (Verizon) is certainly faster in downloads than my iPhone.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #11
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader
FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2; Sony PRS-350
WiFi. With over 1GB in the device, I can't read fast enough to need downloading new books on the fly.
FacebookVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Wi-fi for me. I travel frequently (my new PW2 has already been on an international trip) and have no problem finding available Wi-fi.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
el.jeffe58
Vocophorian
el.jeffe58 began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HDX7, Voyage, PW2, Touch 3G, Fire TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacebookVirus View Post
WiFi. With over 1GB in the device, I can't read fast enough to need downloading new books on the fly.
Ditto for me.
el.jeffe58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #14
jocampo
Layback feline

Wow! I am surprised by the responses so far, it looks like the Kindle Paperwhite wifi is the most popular option among Mobileread users.

I wonder if this will be the same pattern for the remaining American's users and/or around the world.

If the demand is so low , I am afraid that Amazon eventually will stop selling it. Similar situation happened with 1st Nook, I think.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Sony also had a 3G model for a few years as well. They eliminated it with their 2011 models.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote