Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #76
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
The Help

Toronto Public Library
100 copies; 0 available; 225 on waitlist

Mississauga Public Library
15 copies; 0 available; 68 on waitlist

Burlington Public Library
7 copies; 0 available; 34 on waitlist

Dragon Tattoo:

Toronto Public Library
50 copies; 0 available; 98 on waitlist

Mississauga Public Library
7 copies; 0 available; 37 on waitlist

Burlington Public Library
Not offered! hmmm

None of those libraries offer the trilogy as a set. All of the above though, offer a choice of 7, 14 or 21 day lending period. Max of 10 borrowed items. Mississauga recently changed it from a max of 14 days & 5 books. I like my options. I live in one city. I work in another & my hubby works in another.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #77
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that the default is set to the maximum time and in some cases, that is 21-days.
Not always true. My library has 7-14-21 options but the default is set to 7.

GWTDT / Help Index for Nashville Public Library:

GWTDT:
20 copies, 96 on waiting list
GWTDT Bundle:
8 copies, 20 on waiting list
The Help:
22 copies, 112 on waiting list
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #78
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I know you loathe horribly deadly dull books, but some non-fictions are quite long (over 500 pages), and need more time!
Yeppers. Hubby is on a 1000 page sports history right now. And then there are bundled books, where you check out three or four titles all in one volume. So the choice needs to be there for a longer checkout, I don't think it should be eliminated. But it doesn't have to be the default option either.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #79
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
And it should be possible to return the book straight from your account page / book shelf. My library requires me to return the book from the software I used to download it (I only borrow ePubs), so if I'm not in reach of my home computer, I have to wait. Or I have to download the book to the Overdrive app on my phone, and pick "delete and return" there, which is a dumb way of doing it. There needs to be a "return" button next to the "download" button on all Library OverDrive pages.
YES! This would help!

I do mostly use the software to return, but the option would be VERY useful from the bookshelf page. I have had instances where I tried to return with the software and it just didn't take.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #80
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
One of the reasons I chose the T1 is because of how easy borrowing/returning is. I can return a book because my account is linked when I use the WiFi.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #81
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I have no issue with your asking, but perhaps those LGBT titles were specifically requested by patrons?
And I am absolutely willing to admit I am wrong, and there is a huge market for these books in the burbs. But 6 transgender books, 2 gay romance, and no white bread romance?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #82
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
My library reduced max borrow-times from 21 days to 14 days awhile ago. I miss the 21 days! What I have found to be more helpful is that they reduced the response times for holds from 3 days to 2 days. It seems many people don't respond in 2 days and the wait-times go faster!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #83
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
And I am absolutely willing to admit I am wrong, and there is a huge market for these books in the burbs. But 6 transgender books, 2 gay romance, and no white bread romance?
My library is the exact opposite. The refuse to bring in anything but white bread romance, with the occasional exception of paranormal, and then only the most popular ones. Booooooooring.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #84
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For a while it seemed all my library had in e-books was cheesy self-help books "How talking nicely to your dog improves your math score" style, or vampire books or young adult, and lots of bodice ripping novels.

Now the e-book format seems to have fleshed out a bit and there are more choices.

What I find entertaining is there are some books listed as "sample chapters". Puzzling. Isn't the point of a library that you get to "sample" entire books?
Old 01-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #85
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
What I find entertaining is there are some books listed as "sample chapters". Puzzling. Isn't the point of a library that you get to "sample" entire books?

Maybe that's because of the checkout limits imposed by various publishers? If you read a sample chapter & decide it's not for you you won't borrow it thus using one of the borrowed number.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #86
spindlegirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Maybe that's because of the checkout limits imposed by various publishers? If you read a sample chapter & decide it's not for you you won't borrow it thus using one of the borrowed number.
I suppose. But it just seems.....odd. At any rate, the dtb is always there for the borrowing, and I almost always find those in their entirety ;-)
Old 01-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #87
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
That's funny because I can't recall ever seeing a LGBT romance on our library Overdrive. Plenty of Nora Roberts, Linda Howard and Harlequin imprints though, although I guess we'll be losing Nora with the Penguin Publishing changes.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #88
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
My library has all sorts of erotica: lesbian, gay, straight ... etc. I think it's rather silly, but if folks want to read it ...

Lately, we seem to have gotten more of that, along with cozy mystery series, self-help (knitting, yoga, etc.) to make up for the shortfall in Penguin-like titles.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #89
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
That's funny because I can't recall ever seeing a LGBT romance on our library Overdrive. Plenty of Nora Roberts, Linda Howard and Harlequin imprints though, although I guess we'll be losing Nora with the Penguin Publishing changes.
Maybe by the time Nora's next book comes out in 2012 Penguin will have come to their senses and allow new eBooks back at the library.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #90
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
For a while it seemed all my library had in e-books was cheesy self-help books "How talking nicely to your dog improves your math score" style...
We've got lots of those too - but we don't have "How talking nicely to your dog improves your math score", now that would be a good read.

And we don't have Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but we do have The Help, 4 copies 31 patrons on the wait list.

Out here in the colonies our ebook selection is geo restricted so we're a bit thin on the ground.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote