Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-26-2007, 03:49 AM   #1
hapax legomenon
Erotica Writer
hapax legomenon doesn't litterhapax legomenon doesn't litter

Device: ipad, Sony Reader PRS 505, Cybook 3
ebook creation: should the master document be one file or many?

Hi, I read the thread about .epub format about memory issues.

Quote:
I think ADE treats each XHTML stream as a logical page that is then split up into separate pages depending on font size and screen size. It keeps a single logical page in memory at one time. As a result having a single very long logical page is likely to cause swapping and slow down page turns. The same is true for LRF (except that there it is <Page> elements than should not be too long instead of individual files.
I thinking of putting together a master document and had never considered that the idea of one file vs. multiple files might have an impact upon memory and pagination on the device.

I'm guessing that for my source I could use xinclude to combine several xml documents into a single xml file to convert into an ebook (whether as .epub or as a converted binary format). Or I could use a publishing program (like Open Office or In Design) to create a master document and drop several files ("chapters") into the master document. Then the single master document could be converted.

But if there are memory issues, would that be a good reason to split my output into multiple xhtml files?

Apart from memory issues, can you think of any advantages of splitting the output into multiple files?

I personally find the mobipocket GUI program does a pretty horrible job of preserving hyperlinks when you import several html files into a project. The only time I can feel certain the links will work is if the output is a single file, not a group of files. But the .epub discussion seems to imply that reading systems vary in how they read and paginate files deriving from a single file.

Does anyone have that experience with mobipocket also? Hyperlinks are so easy in web browsers; how could the mobipocket creation tool screw it up so often?
hapax legomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:27 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I don't think anyone here actually uses the Mobipocket software. It's that bad.

I use Book Designer, and keep the ebook master as a single file. Not all devices can handle multiple files.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2007, 11:22 AM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I use multiple pages on many documents. TOC is easier to generate on multiple documents and easier to maintain as a separate document for me. Also chapters in separate documents automatically force a new page for the Chapter which is useful. I only occasionally use book designer as it prefers one file. MobiPocket Creator seems to prefer multiple files particularly to control the location of the generated toc. I have not tried to test the hyperlink problem you experienced. I mostly use ebook publisher for my eb1150 files as it gives me the most control.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:19 PM   #4
hapax legomenon
Erotica Writer
hapax legomenon doesn't litterhapax legomenon doesn't litter

Device: ipad, Sony Reader PRS 505, Cybook 3
i am somewhat reluctant to use book designer because I've been told the html output is not good. But it's a robust program, no doubt about that.

Dealing with multiple files is easier because you can deal with components rather than one gigantic component. But when translating from source to binary you can sometimes obscure paths and link references.

At least with .epub you know exactly how xhmtl hyperlinks are supposed to behave.
hapax legomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:24 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Book Designer can write out books in multiple formats so you don't really need HTML output. It can do Sony Reader LRF and Mobipocket PRC and Reb 1150 IMG. So it's one program to do most of what you want. But if you have an HTML file with more complex formatting needed and tables, use html2lrf to make LRF. It just works better in those cases.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert