Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-01-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Borders abandons ebook business to Kobo

The note when you try to purchase any ebook from Borders now:

Quote:
To make the transition seamless, if you already have Borders eBooks, Borders will provide your existing Borders eBook library and other account information to Kobo, subject to Kobo's terms and privacy policy. Transactions made with Kobo will not be eligible for Borders Rewards or other Borders programs.
And following through, it's no longer just fulfillment by Kobo, but they're handling the purchasing end of things too.

Well, that's another vendor I can scratch off my list. Guess it's down to just Sony and B&N for my money (and B&N generally wins).
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I never ordered from Borders. I have ordered from Kobo, BooksonBoard, Sony, Smashwords, B&N & Amazon. I like Kobo but since they have updated their site I really like BooksonBoard.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
I like Kobo but since they have updated their site I really like BooksonBoard.
I second the vote of confidence in BooksOnBoard. They have become my primary source of current ebooks.
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Just did the transfer wizard thing from Borders to Kobo and all my Borders books (mostly freebies) appear to have merged perfectly into my existing Kobo account.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Same here no problems transferring my account. I only bought from borders occasionally. I had a feeling this would happen eventually. I buy from Kobo all the time.

I like B.O.B too but they have a $5 min or you get charge an extra fee. I'm a bargain ebook buyer so I seldom use them unless they are only source but I do like their rewards program.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
It's no longer just fulfillment by Kobo, but they're handling the purchasing end of things too.
The ebooks purchased by Borders have always lived with Kobo, and Kobo has always powered the Borders reading apps and devices. The change we made today was to ensure that Borders customers get the best from Kobo's apps and shopping experience.

In the past, we had to build our Kobo branded apps, and then build a separate set of apps that were Borders branded. This was very confusing, and also meant that the Borders apps didn't always get the features as fast as they could (like our awesome Reading Life on the iPad, iPhone and Android).

By moving their eBooks to Kobo, people get the full benefit of Kobo's catalog, top rated apps, and service.

We've put a number of articles on our help site with more information about moving your eBooks from Borders to Kobo. It should answer any questions you might have:

http://kobo.zendesk.com/categories/2...orders-related

Last edited by JCKobo; 06-01-2011 at 03:09 PM.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Just did the transfer wizard thing from Borders to Kobo and all my Borders books (mostly freebies) appear to have merged perfectly into my existing Kobo account.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Same here no problems transferring my account. I only bought from borders occasionally. I had a feeling this would happen eventually. I buy from Kobo all the time.
Glad to hear it went well - we're seeing everything running pretty smoothly here.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
On one hand it is kind of sad, since it is just another sign that Borders is just giving up. I always liked them over B&N. On the other, seeing as how I always went with Kobo anyway instead of borders when buying ebooks, it isn't a big deal.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #9
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
By moving their eBooks to Kobo, people get the full benefit of Kobo's catalog, top rated apps, and service.
Maybe some people will come out ahead, but it's lose-lose for me. It's the same catalog as before, the same app as before (I always downloaded the ePub and used Bluefire to read it), but I can no longer receive my Borders Rewards Plus discount, use Borders coupons, or be sure I won't get hit with a foreign currency fee.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I have mix feelings every time I go to B&N and spend time there with my wife. I actually own a Kindle but like B&N brick stores and environment.

I guess that the book business will have to change or redesign their model, at least for brick stores like B&N and Borders.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #11
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Yup, I just went through this exercise and it worked for me, too. My Borders ebook is now part of my larger Kobo account library.

But it wasn't triggered until I clicked to order a new book (which I didn't need to complete). There was no option to pre-emptively merge with Kobo otherwise.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #12
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Yup, I just went through this exercise and it worked for me, too. My Borders ebook is now part of my larger Kobo account library.

But it wasn't triggered until I clicked to order a new book (which I didn't need to complete). There was no option to pre-emptively merge with Kobo otherwise.
Borders will be sending all their current eBook users an email tomorrow with instructions on how to pre-emptively migrate or merge their accounts to Kobo.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I just clicked on Learn More on the blue banner at the top that says Borders brings you the ultimate reading experience - Introducing Kobo on Borders' site it then takes you to a page that has the option to transfer your library.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:11 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I just clicked on Learn More on the blue banner at the top that says Borders brings you the ultimate reading experience - Introducing Kobo on Borders' site it then takes you to a page that has the option to transfer your library.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:57 PM   #15
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Does this apply to the Australian Borders ebook store?

Need to check....

Just did, estore is still functional, for now...

http://www.borders.com.au/ebooks/ebooks/45/

Last edited by sabredog; 06-02-2011 at 12:04 AM.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote