Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #1
Canterbury Tail
Enthusiast
Canterbury Tail began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Books on SD Card

I'm considering ordering a Cybook today to get delivered to my companies office in New York as I'll be down there next week and won't have to pay import duties then. My question is, if i dump some books on an SD card and take that with me will I be able to just plug it in and read away or does it need putting onto the card with special software or in a particular format?
Canterbury Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I wouldn't use an SD card if I were you - it's best to let the Gen3 format the card itself. Do you have a USB memory stick? Just take your books on that; you'll be able to copy the books to the Gen3 via the USB connection (assuming you have access to a PC); the Gen3 just appears as an external drive on the PC when you connect the cable.

MobiPocket format is the best to use on the Gen3. Text files and HTML will (sort of) work. Don't bother with PDF.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
Canterbury Tail
Enthusiast
Canterbury Tail began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Okay, yes that would work. I'll be taking the work laptop so all will be fine. Good thinking. Thanks for the assist.
Canterbury Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:05 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My pleasure. You won't need an SD card at all; the internal memory of the Gen3 is sufficient to store hundreds of books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canterbury Tail View Post
Okay, yes that would work. I'll be taking the work laptop so all will be fine. Good thinking. Thanks for the assist.
You could also put them on an SD card, and keep it out of your reader. When you want to move books, plug in the SD card to the reader, attach the reader to a PC via USB, drag stuff from the card to the internal memory, the remove the SD card from the device. Lots of options.

Of course, if you have a PC, keeping everything on the PC would work too...

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:05 PM   #6
Brazos_Jack
Enthusiast
Brazos_Jack began at the beginning.

Device: Palm
Harry,

I plan on trying to get a Cybook sent to me while I'm in Philadelphia next week. I will not have computer access. Is there anything I can do on my computer here in Saudi to an SD card so I can load books on it and it will work in the Cybook when I get to Philly?

Last edited by Brazos_Jack; 07-13-2008 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Change notification settings
Brazos_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:08 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazos_Jack View Post
Harry,

I plan on trying to get a Cybook sent to me while I'm in Philadelphia next week. I will not have computer access. Is there anything I can do on my computer here in Saudi to an SD card so I can load books on it and it will work in the Cybook when I get to Philly?
If you mean protected mobi, I doubt it... unless you can get the place you are getting your CyBook from to send you it's PID ahead of time.

That said, are there no internet cafes in the area where you could go, enter your PID into the store and download everything to a card. I've never used a machine at one of these places, do they enable the USB ports. If not, what about a nearby library?

BOb
Old 07-13-2008, 04:18 PM   #8
Brazos_Jack
Enthusiast

Bob,

No, these are not protected Mobi's. No PID codes to enter. Just old fashion .prc files of out-of-copyright titles like Count of Monte Cristo and King Solomon's Mines.

Will I be able to just save these from my desktop (where they are now) in Dhahran to an SD card and then use the SD card in the new Cybook to read them when I pick it up in Philly?
Old 07-13-2008, 05:29 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No, these are not protected Mobi's. No PID codes to enter. Just old fashion .prc files of out-of-copyright titles like Count of Monte Cristo and King Solomon's Mines.

Will I be able to just save these from my desktop (where they are now) in Dhahran to an SD card and then use the SD card in the new Cybook to read them when I pick it up in Philly?
Yes.

BOb
Old 07-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #10
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
I think you need to place them in Books subfolder on the card - else Cybook won't see them.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:35 PM   #11
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
I think you need to place them in Books subfolder on the card - else Cybook won't see them.
\eBooks please. \Books will not be seen - either on the SD card or on the Cybook.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:18 PM   #12
Brazos_Jack
Enthusiast

So Derek,

I should put all the books in a subfolder named exactly:

"\eBooks please"

Is that correct, or did you mean a subfolder exactly named:

"\eBooks"

Do I put any music (MP3) in there too, or in a separate folder named something else?

What are the recognized file folder names for the Cybook?

Sorry for the delay in reply. I'm 8 hours ahead of U.S. Central Daylight Time.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:03 AM   #13
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
What are the recognized file folder names for the Cybook?
There are 3 folders on my SD card, they must be capitalized exactly as below to be recognized by the Cybook:
  • "\eBooks"
  • "\Pictures"
  • "\Music"
In case it wasn't mentioned earlier, I found that the card had to be formatted "FAT32" for it to work properly.

Have fun finding public domain books to read, you can get many of them right here at MobileRead.

Last edited by Justy; 07-14-2008 at 12:10 AM. Reason: added SD card format info
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:35 AM   #14
Brazos_Jack
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
There are 3 folders on my SD card, they must be capitalized exactly as below to be recognized by the Cybook:
  • "\eBooks"
  • "\Pictures"
  • "\Music"
In case it wasn't mentioned earlier, I found that the card had to be formatted "FAT32" for it to work properly.

Have fun finding public domain books to read, you can get many of them right here at MobileRead.
Thanks Justy,

How do I check the cards with my PC to make sure they are FAT32 before I copy the books over?

If the SD cards I have are not formatted FAT32, is there a way to reformat them to FAT32 with my PC?

My PC is running Windows XP, if that matters.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:00 AM   #15
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Actually, I have my books in "eBooks" folder, not "\eBooks".
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote