Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 10:10 AM   #76
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
I see. I was under the impression that I could still edit stickies if they were my own posts. I think I forgot that, as a mod, I can edit any post...
It is not the 'Sticky' part, but the 'closed (locked) part that prevents non-mod 'Creators' from editing
Old 08-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #77
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It is not the 'Sticky' part, but the 'closed (locked) part that prevents non-mod 'Creators' from editing
In the Recipes forum we have two stickies - one open and one closed/locked. I specifically asked that the "Re-usable Code" sticky be unlocked so that people can post their code chunks there. It has worked well. There aren't many posts, but when there is one, it's useful code and the post has been well thought out. The "Using News Recipes" sticky is closed/locked, but it gets edited and improved from time to time.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #78
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
The sticky discussion is interesting. As the writer, I like doing it here in a regular thread as opposed to sticky. I'm not sure any reader likes wading through all that stuff in this thread. But since I'm basically rapid-prototyping concepts, strategies, methods, and practices into a rapidly changing document, it doesn't make sense to make it a sticky at all, unless it were unlocked and allowed me to edit at will as well as allowing posting from anyone for feedback and discussion. I've been dual-tasking the KISS revision and calibre setup the past few days to facilitate and complement each other. Such as, now my situation and setup basically correspond to a brand new user who is also new to eBooks in general. Things will change fast.

Last edited by unboggling; 08-19-2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #79
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
The sticky discussion is interesting. As the writer, I like doing it here in a regular thread as opposed to sticky. I'm not sure any reader likes wading through all that stuff in this thread. But since I'm basically rapid-prototyping concepts, strategies, methods, and practices into a rapidly changing document, it doesn't make sense to make it a sticky at all, unless it were unlocked and allowed me to edit at will as well as allowing posting from anyone for feedback and discussion. I've been dual-tasking the KISS revision and calibre setup the past few days to facilitate and complement each other. Such as, now my situation and setup basically correspond to a brand new user who is also new to eBooks in general. Things will change fast.
IMHO you are doing great. This is a Development stage where many comments and interactions are a good thing.
Lean and mean (quantity of posts) once it hits the sticky mark. Typical users are going to read 1 post (if that ) before throwing the 'I can't find/understand' towel. Which caused a
3 message in the Sticky (when it happens)
1) Brand New user
2) Been using a while,: Now I want to do more.
3) I want to push Calibre for all it can do User

Last edited by theducks; 08-19-2011 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Bulb went on :)
Old 08-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #80
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
The sticky discussion is interesting.
The point of making it sticky is to help new users find it. It can be kept unlocked so you can edit your own post. Any moderator can help you keep it clean by deleting irrelevant posts. You are right that long threads are hard to read through and tend to get stale in the early pages.

The unlocked Re-usable Code sticky occasionally gets a post asking a question about the posted code. I just move it to its own thread and delete it from the sticky. If the new thread results in important information that should be in the code sticky, it's easy to add it there.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:37 AM   #81
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
I see. I was under the impression that I could still edit stickies if they were my own posts. I
And that impression was right.

I *have* just edited the first post in a sticky thread I created long ago. Look:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69185

I am not moderator.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #82
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post

I *have* just edited the first post in a sticky thread I created long ago. Look:

I am not moderator.
Good to know. Thanks for the information.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #83
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

kacir's sticky is wagging a tail of 165 posts (last time I looked earlier).

I may not be thinking straight due to needing some sleep soon, but there was more than one reason I was worried about a sticky at this point.

1. Tail size would be very long. I intend to pursue this for months. I don't have a problem with that tail, you might not have a problem with it, but new users might as they're the ones wading thru, particularly if they're not forum-savvy yet. I had that problem at first here, being new to forums, because I felt like I should read everything before I attempted posting instead of just skipping ahead and risking it.

2. The pace of change in the text of the OP sticky will be fast. I can see this slowing down and stabilizing sometime in the future but at this point I can't predict how long that will be. I don't have a problem with that, you might not have a problem with that, but new user might. When it stabilizes for a "new user" sticky, I might jump over and become an intermediate user and go through the same kind of "thinking out loud" rapid development learning process again towards a sticky at that level, if someone else hasn't done it by then already. I like theducks' lightbulb.

3. I hear starson's concern that a new user may have difficulty finding this regular ole thread, but I'm okay with that because its not ripe enough yet for new users to digest. IMO. Such as when I was brand new user, I would have wanted to miss this thread at that point because I was more concerned about learning how to put series into kindle-title and figuring out how to convert DRMd things. Unless its stable I don't see such a long-tailed sticky doing anything but confusing that user.

Edit1...4. There might be a lot of my asking mods to move or delete things. Someone contacted me this week mildly annoyed that I'd asked for a double-post mistake to be deleted. Edit3: Because it hadn't been the first time during a 2 or 3 day period. So I'm even more leary of that in this type of thread let alone a sticky tailed one.

Edit2…5. Whether Manichaen was originally right or wrong about sticky being editable by poster if it's locked - just doesn't feel like the right time yet, to me. I have a major revision progressing that'll probably get posted in a couple days, then that will need minor fixing, then people will respond, iteratively on for perhaps quite awhile.

Last edited by unboggling; 08-19-2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 08-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #84
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post

I am not moderator.
That sticky thread isn't closed/locked. Anyone can post in it. (I can post there, and I'm not a mod in that forum.) The question was about whether the owner of a post can edit it in a locked sticky. AFAIK, the answer is no. I'm pretty sure the characteristics of sticky/non-sticky and locked/unlocked are independent.

I don't have any posts in a locked thread (sticky or otherwise) for a forum where I'm not a moderator, so I can't actually test or confirm.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:04 AM   #85
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
That sticky thread isn't closed/locked. Anyone can post in it. (I can post there, and I'm not a mod in that forum.) The question was about whether the owner of a post can edit it in a locked sticky. AFAIK, the answer is no. I'm pretty sure the characteristics of sticky/non-sticky and locked/unlocked are independent.
You're right the "locked" part not the sticky part is what keeps it from being modified by anyone other than a moderator.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:40 AM   #86
unboggling
Wizard

What's the best method for a new user to fix something? Someone not too comfortable in HTML yet. I'd been going rtf --> fix in word then save out docx --> open office just save odt. I can eliminate word and go directly from rtf into OOo. Which is what I imagine is okay for many new users just starting out. But is there a better easier way a new user could handle, going maybe the HTMLZ route? Can anyone recommend something?

Last edited by unboggling; 08-20-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:46 AM   #87
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
What's the best method for a new user to fix something? Someone not too comfortable in HTML yet.
The RTF to OOo to ODT seems like a good option. Since all of my books are in ePub if I want to clean something up or add a TOC I use Sigil to edit the ePub directly.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:58 AM   #88
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
The RTF to OOo to ODT seems like a good option. Since all of my books are in ePub if I want to clean something up or add a TOC I use Sigil to edit the ePub directly.
I've been leery of working on any formats directly inside calibre. I guess I don't have to be so compulsive about only cleaning up outside of calibre. So for people who want to switch to that better simpler way: epub to fix-in-sigil out to epub, all they need to do is learn how Sigil works and some html. That seems good. Having not learned enough html yet I haven't been comfortable doing that. Now it seems like a priority for new user should be to learn html stuff fast if they don't know it already.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:52 AM   #89
GeekyGal
Enthusiast
GeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle FireHD, Kindle3G, iPad, MacBook, iRex Illiad (ret)
Oh, Unboggled,

I thought it meant Keep it Simple, Snookums [my generic multi-purpose positive nickname]. THANK you for the KISS. I used up MANY hours overcomplicating my systems before I decided to sit back, set up a few columnhs and actually let Calibre do most of the work.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:13 AM   #90
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGal View Post
Oh, Unboggled,

I thought it meant Keep it Simple, Snookums [my generic multi-purpose positive nickname]. THANK you for the KISS. I used up MANY hours overcomplicating my systems before I decided to sit back, set up a few columnhs and actually let Calibre do most of the work.
You're welcome, um, can I actually say it?, Snookums. Sit back, relax, let calibre do the work? sounds great to me. Maybe then I'll have time to actually read a novel.

Closed Thread