Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 07:01 AM   #1
yegon
Connoisseur
yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Does the screen get dirty?

Had my 650 since it came out here in the UK, tremendous purchase, logged many happy hours with it and a worthy successor to my trusty 505.

I generally use the buttons to flip pages because I fear the screen will develop a layer of uncleanable dirt if I constantly use my fingers. To those who use the touch screen a lot, does this happen? Or am I being too protective?
yegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:06 AM   #2
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I just wipe mine off with a microfiber cloth and it is fine. It will get some fingerprints but nothing too bad.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
Bro Pete
Connoisseur
Bro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Sony PRS 650
Like Edbro said, the microfiber works great. I keep a small one in my case. If I get a little smear on the screen I use a damp paper towel to clean it off. Even if you don't use the touch screen, it will collect small bits of dust.

I find that I alternate between the buttons, swiping with a finger (horizontal and vertical) and the stylus.
Bro Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:42 AM   #4
Tessie6
Connoisseur
Tessie6 doesn't litterTessie6 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS505
I contacted Sony about that because I use a lot of hand lotion and it gets on the screen. Here is what they recommend.

Wiping with a soft dry cloth. Micro fiber is fine.

For more stubborn stains, you can use a soft cloth slightly dampened with a solution of mild soap and warm water. When cleaning, wipe the screen using small circular motions from top to bottom; immediately afterwards, use a soft cloth to dry the screen.

Hand soap, no dish detergent and remember "slightly damp"

Hope this helps.
Tessie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I have a container of damp screen cleaner cloths, meant for computer screens. Every so often, I use one on all my electronics: computer, ereader, mp3 players.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
starrlamia
Zealot
starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PB 16g
mine doesnt get dirty much, i use a microfibre to wipe it probably once a week. I do use it quite a bit and use the dictionary function alot of textbooks.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
What Edbro said, microfiber cloth once every eight hours or so of reading for me (often reading while I eat, lol). VERY rarely I have to dampen the cloth slightly with water, not enough to drip or squeeze out, to remove something stubborn.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:20 PM   #8
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I also often prefer using the buttons or the stylus just not to get the screen dirty.

Otherwise, I have found that those 'glass cleaning' kits (spray+microfiber cloth) work very well. I have been using those daily with a PRS900, a PRS950 and an iPad, with adverse effects (I was doubtful at first and some people recommended not to do it... but I had colleagues at work doing the same and it seemed to work fine, so I tried it as well).

I have done this for a year now on the PRS900 (less for the iPad and PRS950) and I am pretty sure it does not affect the screen.

Also, I like the spray because it allows to remove some things more easily. Using microfiber on a 'dry' screen can still scratch it, if you have some particles (sand, or even food at times, if you read while eating like me) sitting on the screen...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #9
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
I think you have a better chance of gunking up the buttons than getting the screen dirty. It's a slick surface. You' have to be be eating sticky brownies with bare fingers to gunk up such a smooth surface.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:04 PM   #10
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post
mine doesnt get dirty much, i use a microfibre to wipe it probably once a week. I do use it quite a bit and use the dictionary function alot of textbooks.
Same here. The screen isn't shiny like an iPhone so I don't see prints on it much.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:06 AM   #11
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I think you have a better chance of gunking up the buttons than getting the screen dirty. It's a slick surface. You' have to be be eating sticky brownies with bare fingers to gunk up such a smooth surface.
OK that's hilarious. I just cleaned up the screen after a very sticky blueberry brownie was consumed, by someone , over it.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:22 AM   #12
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
OK that's hilarious. I just cleaned up the screen after a very sticky blueberry brownie was consumed, by someone , over it.
Mmmmmm.... blueberry brownies.... but seriously, serious? That's kind of funny. Perhaps I'm outside your kitchen window trying to figure out how to get to them. I should just ring the bell.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:39 AM   #13
vxf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
Mmmmmm.... blueberry brownies.... but seriously, serious? That's kind of funny. Perhaps I'm outside your kitchen window trying to figure out how to get to them. I should just ring the bell.
Dead serious. Best thing in our staff cafeteria !!! They used to have banana/blueberry brownies, those were even better. But, for *some reason*, those are always sold out
Old 12-28-2010, 01:00 AM   #14
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Stop it, you're making me hungry!
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:10 AM   #15
vxf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Stop it, you're making me hungry!
So I should not tell you I am now attempting on getting some "cranberry bliss" pie on the screen of my iPad? My co-workers just went to Starbucks, love those cranberry bliss things...

Damn, the holidays are making me fat.