Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-11-2009, 08:57 PM   #16
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by purl4peace View Post
I'm not sure if I understand this... does this mean that Sony is going to start offering EPUB formats which can be shared with other non-Sony readers? This would be a huge advantage over the current Kindle strategy. If it is true, I would think that Amazon would be in a position of perhaps opening their Kindle books as well to non-Kindle owners.
It already is that way. I purchase ePUBs from various sources and use them on Sony 505 and 700 and in parallel use them on Cybook Opus.
I don't think, any provider of ePUB would be able to prevent of that. ePUB claims, being kind of open standard. If one sells them, he most likely has to stick to that policy.
But of course, canceling their own proprietary file format, might be a step towards a single standard for all the eReaders out there (although I'm not quite convinced about ADE. Don't like the registration process for example. If you de-activate one of your readers, for example because you've sold it, you don't get another license added back. I've run out of licenses quite a few times. You manually have to request another one, although you actually only have 3 licenses in parallel and the rest are "dead ones"...)

Last edited by mgmueller; 08-14-2009 at 12:51 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:26 AM   #17
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
The "library books for 21 days" refers to the public libraries that offer Overdrive. There are plenty of libraries with this service; check the Wiki link at the top of the forum.
I currently belong to three different online Overdrive-based libraries. They all allow users to select between 7 and 21 days (in increments of 7 days), rather than the default 21 days, too.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2009, 02:11 AM   #18
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
So, it's a non-issue here. There was a trial somewhere about lending ebooks. Never heard of it again. I don't know any library that lends out ebooks.
My library lends out eBooks and has been for the last year or so.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote