Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
jenieliser
Groupie
jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Kobo Libra H2O
hit a wall

So, I've been reading Les Miserables. I started about 3 weeks ago and am only a third of the way through. I feel like I've hit a wall of disinterest. Anyone who has read this please give me a hint of good things to come so I'll keep reading. No specifics, just some hints-what to look forward to. Thanks!
jenieliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Sorry, can't help you. I got stuck reading of the years they lived in the convent(I think?). I had totally enjoyed the musical (one of my favorites), and the Liam Neeson(sp?) movie version was okay. This was several years ago and I still haven't gone back to complete it.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Had the same with the book. Best to move on, get the DVD and grab some popcorn. Too many books waiting to waste time on a book you can't gel with
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
jenieliser
Groupie
jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ha! Funny that's where you stopped, that's exactly where I am right now! Sigh..I think I'm going to keep trying.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
You should at least read it to the point where Lea Salonga sings.

ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 10:21 PM   #6
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
Hmmm. I haven't read the book yet. And yeah... ^^ Lea Salonga is really great!

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:18 PM   #7
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Les Miserables definitely builds quite a wall. I always read unabridged editions, but that was one novel I should have read an abridged edition - that is, if I bothered to read it at all. I felt like I was reading a thesaurus of phrases, as he seemed to find half a dozen ways of saying the same thing.

When I finished reading it, my main thought was admiration not for Victor Hugo, but for the composer(s) of the musical. That they were able to compose such wonderful music from such a boring novel is truly remarkable.

This is considered Victor Hugo's best book. If so, I'm certainly in no hurry to read his other ones!

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:32 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Dunno what to tell you.
I read him when I was 20-21.
I read three books:
NOTRE-DAME DE PARIS
Ninety-Three
and Les Miserables
I loved all three, although very sad stories...but back then I loved Dumas too.
I didn't know anything about Fantasy and The Lord of the Rings.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:06 PM   #9
Almiel
regrets buying PocketBook
Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CoolReader (Android), Pocketbook 360 Ivory
I got halfway through and decided to "return to it after reading a couple other books," but never did. I'd recommend the abridged version, which would cut out his philosophical ramblings and just tell the story. Don't be ashamed of doing so! I decided there's too many good books out there to waste my time with ones that don't interest me, even if they're considered classics or on some must-read list out there.
Almiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #10
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Are there any good abridged versions in eformat?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #11
Almiel
Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found one on Amazon and one on Barnes&Noble. Not sure what the format is at BN. Aha, just found at http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24283.Les_Miserables. Look down the right-hand side to the download button and choose your format (mobi, pdf, or ePub).
Old 12-09-2009, 06:14 PM   #12
Almiel

You could also try http://inkmesh.com/search/?qs=les+mi...nE=Find+Ebooks.

Last edited by Almiel; 12-09-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:13 AM   #13
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I read this book, when I was very young (in my 20's)... I found it very compelling (?) [English is my second language, and I'm not sure this is the word to use] - I read the whole book... loved it.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:41 AM   #14
jenieliser
Groupie

I've "sparknoted" the parts I can't seem to get through. That's helped a lot. I can find out what is important in all his ramble and move on.