Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Need recommendation: Book on Leadership

I need to improve my leadership skills. I want a book to understand more about what leadership is and what I can do to become a leader.
My objective is to stay away from "Overnight Leadership" books, i.e., how to influence (manipulate) people with your (fake) charm. I want to transform myself into a leader and help groups move forward with their own collective goals, and contribute to change our society for the better.
I think true leadership comes from inner transformation.
The 7 habits is the only one I know (I like it a lot), and I'd like to expand my horizons. Inspiring biographies accepted, too.

Thanks!
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm not sure about your particular circumstances, but if you're a manager in today's business world you may want to look at books about "knowledge worker management".

IF this is your case, here's one I would recommend.
Thinking for a Living: How to Get Better Performances And Results from Knowledge Workers by Thomas H. Davenport
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 03:48 AM   #3
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
A book I recommend is "Make It So" by Wess Roberts, Ph.D. and Bill Ross, originally released in 1995. It is a book of leadership lessons derived from episodes of "Star Trek: The Next Generation." It is written as series of personal logs by Captain Jean-Luc Picard, with the events told from his point of view.

Each chapter of the book illustrates a principle of leadership (as an example, the first chapter concerns "Focus" and the second on "Urgency"). Although it is an entertaining book for Star Trek fans (who will likely recognize the individual episodes recounted), it is also written for the non-Star Trek fan to enjoy and learn leadership lessons too. I found it an entertaining and worthwhile read, and I think you will too.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:24 AM   #4
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I've always found this quote by John Paul Jones to be the best guide of leadership (and behaviour):

``It is by no means enough that an officer be capable...He should be a gentleman of liberal education, refined manners, punctilious courtesy, and the nicest sense of personal honor... No meritorious act of a subordinate should escape his attention, even if the reward be only one word of approval. Conversely, he should not be blind to a single fault in any subordinate.''
--- John Paul Jones (Scottish born American Naval Hero in the U.S. War of Independence, 1747-1792)
http://thinkexist.com/quotation/it-i...be/409153.html

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
Jakie
Connoisseur
Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Blackberry playbook and Q10
John Maxwell writes on leadership, and I have enjoyed hearing him speak live.

John (not Maxwell) :-)
Jakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Francesco, to a degree, it seems to me leadership in indeed influencing people. Your charm is not fake if you are merely accommodating communication styles that are not your own, herding cats, and demonstrating empathy.

The larger thing I see from good leaders is vision. I don't know if you can teach vision. It takes more than perseverence and enthusiasm. Looks like it also requires a deep understanding of your business or activity and intuition. Can you teach intuition?

I was 'raised' on Tom Peters' books and a lot of management seminars.

I enjoyed the One Minute Manager & Who Moved My Cheese for your 'fake' tactics, which are not really fake.

If you like manufacturing and expecially automotive then I have to recommend reading The Machine That Changed the World (about modern lean manufacturing).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:15 PM   #7
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
When I was in high school we were required to read The Marine Corps Handbook. That might be of help to you.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Thanks everyone.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:51 AM   #9
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I learned a lot about leadership from The One Minute Manager.

I don't recommend How to win Friends and Influence People
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:52 AM   #10
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
This might also help.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94068
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote