Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-05-2009, 07:14 PM   #31
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You can find the explanation at

http://martin-millar.blogspot.com/2007/12/thraxas.html

I've no idea what the contractual problems were with Baen. A shame they couldn't come to an agreement.

Hopefully something will get worked out eventually, whether with Baen or with another publisher.
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, it seems unlikely a 9th book will ever be written. That's too bad, because I was curious about it, but I don't know if I want start something that won't have a resolution...
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:21 AM   #32
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Xenophon is doing a great job of advertising for Baen, but I'd like to point out a subtlety. Some the these "Baen" books AREN'T from Baen. They are from a growing selection of other publishers who have decided to release some or all of their books through Webscriptions, which is a separate company for reasons that include helping that process.

The Inspector Chen books are some of those - if you are looking for the paper copies of these, you need to look for Nightshade books. Others are from Subterranean Press, and still others come from specific Authors who have previously published books for which they have retained or retrieved the electronic rights. And I'm probably missing something.

And of course, the famous missing Tor ebooks are/were/will be included in these, whenever all the bumps get mashed down.

The original "Webscription" is a monthly package of everything Baen publishes that month. The other publishers are attempting to do the same, but right now each publisher needs to have their bundle separate, just to keep the accountants from blowing their tops.

Now, obsf (observed SF, as used to be noted on usenet long ago). I'd recommend an older work by James P. Hogan "Bug Park". It's kinda mystery (how do they do it?), kinda action/adventure, and has a bonus 'cause its written in the Seattle area and I recognize scenery. It's a stand-alone. Micro-robots and virtual senses routed through said robots.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2009, 03:56 AM   #33
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
[...]
some mystery authors i appreciate :
SS Van Dine
JD Carr / Carter Dickson
Léo Malet
Fred Vargas
Marjorie Eccles (Detective Mayo)
Dorothy Sayers (Lord Peter Wimsey)
Ian Rankin
Agatha Christie
Mary Roberts Rineheart
Anna Katharine Green
J.W. van de Wetering
émile Gaboriau
Arthur Conan Doyle
Gaston Leroux
GK Chesterton
any other recommendations ? please give a short description as well.[...]
Well maybe I'm going to state the obvious, but since I see some of my favorites here (Vargas, Rankin, Van De Wetering, Leroux), let's add a few
*Sjöwall & Wahlöö (the inventors of the genre "swedish cop in the rain" Rankin hasn't begun to pay them the hommage which is due I think --their books are less violent too) (in French 10/18 --translated in English as well)
*Scerbaneco (In '60s Italy, a private eye in a class by himself)(in French 10/18 --translated in English?)
*Sébastien Japrisot (a French classic -- almost all his -few- books are masterpieces; in French Livre de Poche --translated in English too)(
*Peter Robinson [Inspector Banks](was long thought of a "Inspector Rebus's younger brother"; but a voice for himself --good detection, interesting British life in a small town...in French Livre de Poche)
Now AFAIK they're all in pbook format
Well well well if I think of anything else?
[Now the best idea, Zelda, is you just drop your job & make reading your full-time occupation, hm?]

Last edited by YGG-; 04-06-2009 at 04:01 AM.
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:09 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd second your recommendation of the Peter Robinson books. They don't appear to be available as eBooks, but they are available as very nicely done audio books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:47 AM   #35
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd second your recommendation of the Peter Robinson books. They don't appear to be available as eBooks, but they are available as very nicely done audio books.
hah! I might want to try those in order to improve my accent!
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2009, 09:17 AM   #36
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGG- View Post
Well maybe I'm going to state the obvious, but since I see some of my favorites here (Vargas, Rankin, Van De Wetering, Leroux), let's add a few
*Sjöwall & Wahlöö (the inventors of the genre "swedish cop in the rain" Rankin hasn't begun to pay them the hommage which is due I think --their books are less violent too) (in French 10/18 --translated in English as well)
*Scerbaneco (In '60s Italy, a private eye in a class by himself)(in French 10/18 --translated in English?)
*Sébastien Japrisot (a French classic -- almost all his -few- books are masterpieces; in French Livre de Poche --translated in English too)(
*Peter Robinson [Inspector Banks](was long thought of a "Inspector Rebus's younger brother"; but a voice for himself --good detection, interesting British life in a small town...in French Livre de Poche)
Now AFAIK they're all in pbook format
Well well well if I think of anything else?
thanks YGG for these great recommendations ! i will add them all to my list. actually i think i've read some Scerbanenco a long time ago, but i might be thinking of another italian writer (i can't remember his name now, unfortunately ).

Quote:
[Now the best idea, Zelda, is you just drop your job & make reading your full-time occupation, hm?]
if only ! anybody want to pay me for that ?? i'm a very highly qualified reader with many years of experience...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:20 PM   #37
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Zelda, I bought the Inspector Chen series, but I haven't had a chance to read them yet. I don't actually know when I will have a chance to start them - life is about to get hectic with school. I have a research paper for English Composition the next two weeks, and as soon as that's over I start Algebra.

I'm still left out at Baen for my usual preferences - no cats, cooking, or knitting in anything there *grin*.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #38
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Zelda, I bought the Inspector Chen series, but I haven't had a chance to read them yet. I don't actually know when I will have a chance to start them - life is about to get hectic with school. I have a research paper for English Composition the next two weeks, and as soon as that's over I start Algebra.
crikey ! good luck with all that. let us know when you finally get some time to read it...

Quote:
I'm still left out at Baen for my usual preferences - no cats, cooking, or knitting in anything there *grin*.
knitting ?? really ?? as in, "a story about" ???
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #39
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Yes, really! I think Debbie Macomber's series is the most popular at the moment. http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/...som-street.htm I haven't read it myself, but on the audiobook discussion list to which I belong, non-knitters and even a few men liked the book enough to recommend it.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #40
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
crikey ! good luck with all that. let us know when you finally get some time to read it...

Or you could have a novel that includes knitting patterns Courtesty of our friends at AngryRobot:

Quote:
It can be read front-to back as a standard novel (and what a great novel it is!) but the truly innovative part is that the bottom 20% of every page is set aside for knitting instructions (in a mid-grey font so as not to detract from the prose). As the knitter completes each page, another clue is revealed within their fabric, and by halfway through, the knitter is able to influence the outcome of the story by choosing to knit one here, drop a stitch there, etc. There really has been nothing like this in fiction, ever!
EDIT: Just in case anybody is confused, it's an April's Fool

Last edited by Moejoe; 04-06-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:33 PM   #41
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Or you could have a novel that includes knitting patterns Courtesty of our friends at AngryRobot:

It can be read front-to back as a standard novel (and what a great novel it is!) but the truly innovative part is that the bottom 20% of every page is set aside for knitting instructions (in a mid-grey font so as not to detract from the prose). As the knitter completes each page, another clue is revealed within their fabric, and by halfway through, the knitter is able to influence the outcome of the story by choosing to knit one here, drop a stitch there, etc. There really has been nothing like this in fiction, ever!
I realize that it's a joke, but if they were willing to pull it off I'm pretty sure it would sell. Mystery quilt clubs (in which a new block is revealed each month) are wildly popular. If you know and respect your market, you can go a long way with innovative fibercraft ideas.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:36 PM   #42
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
I realize that it's a joke, but if they were willing to pull it off I'm pretty sure it would sell. Mystery quilt clubs (in which a new block is revealed each month) are wildly popular. If you know and respect your market, you can go a long way with innovative fibercraft ideas.
It fooled me I would have bought that, sounded like fun. I've never knitted anything in my life, but if someone brought out a book like that I'd probably have a go at it. Of course, the hat I intended to knit would turn out to be a pullover in the end
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #43
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:

There are several series out about knitting right now. Maggie Sefton, Sally Goldenbaum, and of course the Debbie Macomber novels, which are excellent. There's also series' about needlework (Monica Ferris) and teddy bear making (John J. Lamb's Teddy series).
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:29 PM   #44
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Quote:
i'm glad you're interested too ! :

please come back and let us know what you think of the books after you read them. and also if you find any other good mysteries there.
I started the first Detective Inspector Chen book today and it's really, really good. Kinda like The Dresden Files, I guess, but less woobie and more demons? I also like that it's set in a futuristic China; I haven't seen much of that (in my admittedly limited sci-fi reading). Technology + paranormal/occult + mystery = awesome!

I also ended up buying Lord Darcy, and look forward to reading that whenever I get a chance to.
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:32 PM   #45
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
A small update since my last posting:

I finished Snake Agent (the first Detective Inspector Chen book) and LOVED it. (My review is linked in my sig if anyone wants to check it out.) Definitely recommended reading for those who love sci-fi/fantasy/mysteries.

I also read Doc Sidhe, and while it wasn't as good as Snake Agent it was entertaining and had some interesting things in it. It's not as much of a mystery as an action/adventure novel, but there are hints of mystery in it, if that counts?

And now I've started on the Lord Darcy story collection. It's quite good; definitely feels like something related to Lord Peter Whimsy, if that interests any of you (or maybe more like Ellery Queen?). The alternate history part is a bit confusing to me since I'm not entirely sure what Richard III did that keeping him alive would change history so much, but I'm sure a trip to Wikipedia will fix me up.
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baen, mystery