Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-29-2023, 06:14 PM   #46
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Yes. The details are being worked out. It could be in a new table, or it could be stored in the link column of the existing tables. We also want to store images referred to by the documents, avoiding any file:// references.
If Book folders had an optional "Attachments" sub folder, perhaps RTF and image files could be stored in it and referenced relatively, might need a book_attachments:// protocol. It would also solve the perennial problem of where to put supplementary material.

Added: maybe the Link field in Authors and other category columns should become a Links field - i.e. a list of <a href="xxx://whatever">label<\a> links

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-29-2023 at 06:50 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 06:29 PM   #47
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I would use book_attachments for alternate covers.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2023, 06:41 PM   #48
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If Book folders had an optional "Attachments" sub folder, perhaps RTF and image files could be stored in it and referenced relatively, might need a book_attachments:// protocol. It would also solve the perennial problem of where to put supplementary material.

BR
This isn't related to meta-metadata, which has no 1-1 relationship with books. It would require some alternate folder structure and all that entails, such as dealing with deletes and renames.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 06:43 PM   #49
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I believe SQLite supports blob (or none?) data but that probably isn't too practical
Old 03-29-2023, 07:11 PM   #50
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This isn't related to meta-metadata, which has no 1-1 relationship with books. It would require some alternate folder structure and all that entails, such as dealing with deletes and renames.
Putting the meta-metadata issue aside, IMO all it would require of calibre is a tool to create and open a book's Attachments folder and recognise it's existence - i.e. not flag it as an error in Check library. At the moment kludges like adding playlists, or spoofing archive formats are used.

Have to dash

BR
Advert
Old 03-29-2023, 07:30 PM   #51
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Putting the meta-metadata issue aside, IMO all it would require of calibre is a tool to create and open a book's Attachments folder and recognise it's existence - i.e. not flag it as an error in Check library. At the moment kludges like adding playlists, or spoofing archive formats are used.

Have to dash

BR
What about handling of the filenames? Should it keep them intact, so that you could have multiples of the same of the same extension?
Old 03-30-2023, 12:10 AM   #52
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:

Have to dash

BR
Over the past decade I've seen many more threads asking how other users store supplementary files than I've seen threads asking how other users store data about authors, series, publisher's etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
What about handling of the filenames? Should it keep them intact, so that you could have multiples of the same of the same extension?
In my view the filenames and types would be defined by the user - e.g. 6 epubs, 5 jpgs, 15 txt files, and an mp4 video would be fine. But perhaps no subfolders (real or symbolic).

The actions I envisage calibre performing on the Attachments folder are….
  • New Functions
  • Create - fixed name (Attachments, Pièces jointe, etc), set a flag in book table row.
  • Open - in platform file manager (File Explorer, Finder, Nautilus etc).
  • Save - to "<Library>/{author}/{title}/Attachments" in user selected location.
  • Delete (hard) - unset a flag in book table row.
  • Existing functions (perhaps after ensuring Attachments contained no subfolders…) essentially what's done with the other book folder contents (cover.jpg, metadata.opf and format files) as a collective
  • Move it when an author or title is changed.
  • Remove it when a book is removed**
  • Copy it, and optionally delete it, when the Copy to Library feature is used.

Beyond that I don't envisage the calibre library manager doing anything with the files in the Attachments folder.

** IMO the way Remove books works needs to be reconsidered, for Windows at least. Firstly the Are you sure message is quite emphatic:

Quote:
The selected book will be permanently deleted and the files removed from your calibre library. Are you sure?
But, the book is not permanently deleted, instead it is moved to the Windows Recycle Bin.

However, the Recycle Bin Restore tools cannot be used to put the book back where it came from (i.e. within an author folder in a calibre library folder). I understand why - as well as restoring the book folder the database needs to be updated accordingly.

Maybe a plugin could be developed that would intercept Remove Book actions and move the book into a Remainder Bin (probably within the library folder) which was equipped with a tool to restore a book folder and its database record directly. There'd need to be something (close library plugin ?) to hard delete removed books from Remainder Bin after a user defined time period.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-30-2023 at 06:35 AM.
Old 03-31-2023, 12:23 PM   #53
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The "links everywhere" changes are in calibre source.
Old 03-31-2023, 02:04 PM   #54
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Also in source: calibre book-details link support.

Documentation:
Quote:
Open a book details window on a book in some library

The URL syntax is:
calibre://book-details/Library_Name/book_id
This opens a book details window on the specified book from the specified library without changing the current library or the selected book.
You can easily make these links from show-book links by replacing "show-book" with "book-details". At some point I will add getting the book details link to the details context menu.

Links on items look like this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	200712
Old 03-31-2023, 05:58 PM   #55
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
The "links everywhere" changes are in calibre source.
Quote:

Documentation:

You can easily make these links from show-book links by replacing "show-book" with "book-details". At some point I will add getting the book details link to the details context menu.

Attachment 200712
Yes, I saw them late yesterday (my time)

It'll be interesting to see how much the linking feature gets used, I suspect the 'Attach a note' feature will get more usage.

BR
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2023, 09:05 PM   #56
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I tried the book-details.

After some trouble figuring out how to get it to accept 'My Books' for library name (underscore or %20?) I put in the hex encoded version copied from a show-book. Oddly the titlebar shows it as "My_Books"

Also it's surprisingly rather barebones -- just default columns, no links. I guess this makes sense as accessing other libraries might be slow or complicated (especially for lots of composite columns like me ). Since I only use one library I would stick to show-book.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2023-03-31 22_03_31-The Pride of Chanur (from My_Books).png
Views:	72
Size:	774.9 KB
ID:	200717  

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-31-2023 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:11 PM   #57
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:

Documentation:

Attachment 200712
Is the author-name link and arrow link the same thing?

A thought: One thing that's always bothered me is that I prefer to have clicking names search for the item in the Calibre library. However, author link overrides this. The inconvenience of this means I don't use author link even when I'd like to.

If they could be made separate elements perhaps this could be fixed?

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-31-2023 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-31-2023, 10:24 PM   #58
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:

A thought: One thing that's always bothered me is that I prefer to have clicking names search for the item in the Calibre library. However, author link overrides this. The inconvenience of this means I don't use author link even when I'd like to.

No they are not the same. Clicking the author does a search based on what you have configured in Preferences->Book details. The icon is the associated link only.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:25 PM   #59
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:

As discussed earlier in this thread clicking on an author's name will do what is specified in the Prefs->L&F->Book details->Clicking on author names should: setting.

The clickable arrow will only be shown if a category (author, series, publisher, etc) has a value in its Link field.

My understanding is calibre:\\book-details links to books in the same library would need to be in a long text column - viz:

Name:	book details illus.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	200718

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-31-2023 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-31-2023, 10:29 PM   #60
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
I tried the book-details.

After some trouble figuring out how to get it to accept 'My Books' for library name (underscore or %20?) I put in the hex encoded version copied from a show-book. Oddly the titlebar shows it as "My_Books"

Also it's surprisingly rather barebones -- just default columns, no links. I guess this makes sense as accessing other libraries might be slow or complicated (especially for lots of composite columns like me ). Since I only use one library I would stick to show-book.
Not using the configured set of fields was a bug should be fixed. As for no links, since links cause searches in the currently visible library, they cant really do anything for books from another library.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote