Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-23-2023, 03:17 PM   #16
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Hello, with more author's restricting their work / archive locking is anyone else here experiencing the problem where "genre" or "additional tags" information isn't downloaded into Calibre through FanFicFare?

Thanks,
Amalthia
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 04:14 PM   #17
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Do they appear on the title page of the fic, at least?
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2023, 04:18 PM   #18
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Do they appear on the title page of the fic, at least?
Sadly, no. Everything else is on the title page, but not "additional tags/genre" I'm officially baffled.
Old 05-23-2023, 04:19 PM   #19
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is the long-text metadata column enabled? I would check whether they're present there. If they aren't that indicates a failure in getting them from the site.
Old 05-23-2023, 04:30 PM   #20
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Is the long-text metadata column enabled? I would check whether they're present there. If they aren't that indicates a failure in getting them from the site.
I'm not sure if it's enabled, where would I go to check? I did review the "genre" custom column and I don't see that as an option to select there.

I would assume it was enabled because the "genre" information is downloaded for non-restricted stories into a custom column and on the title page of the stories. It's just not working for restricted fics.
Advert
Old 05-23-2023, 04:40 PM   #21
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Custom Columns tab, at the bottom is 'saved metadata column.' It needs to be a long-text column.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-05-23 17_40_07-Customize FanFicFare.png
Views:	174
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	201658

If column needs to be made, I suggest setting it to plain-text.
Old 05-23-2023, 05:17 PM   #22
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Custom Columns tab, at the bottom is 'saved metadata column.' It needs to be a long-text column.

Attachment 201658

If column needs to be made, I suggest setting it to plain-text.
I don't have this column in my custom columns or have anything selected in the "Saved Metadata" field of FFF custom columns. I'll try your suggestion and let you know if it worked.

Thanks,
Amalthia
Old 05-23-2023, 05:19 PM   #23
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

If the tags don't appear in it, suggest posting in the FFF thread (or github) with a link to the story so Jim can investigate.

If they do appear, it's more indicative of a configuration issue resulting in them getting filtered out. in/exclude_metadata and replace_metadata with screwed up regexes, for instance.
Old 05-23-2023, 05:30 PM   #24
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
If the tags don't appear in it, suggest posting in the FFF thread (or github) with a link to the story so Jim can investigate.

If they do appear, it's more indicative of a configuration issue resulting in them getting filtered out. in/exclude_metadata and replace_metadata with screwed up regexes, for instance.

Okay I tried it and for the non-restricted stories my "Genre / Additional Tags" information is download and populates the "Saved Metadata" column. It did not work for any story that is restricted access.

I tried asking Jim for help but he says it should work, that's why I was trying to find out from other people if it's actually working or not.

Here is the story I tried: https://archiveofourown.org/works/34105225
Old 05-23-2023, 05:41 PM   #25
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

In that case, report it. If it's not showing up in saved metadata it's not being scraped.

I had this typed out and decided to post it even though not useful for your case.

For trying to figure out tricky config issues, my suggestion is a bit tedious but it does help the few times I've done it. Create a new library (just call it 'Test'). Don't use the 'copy library structure' as that also copies personal.ini.

Create a few basic columns. Also I'd set the username/pass in personal.ini just to make things less tedious. Once you confirm that it's working on a (mostly) clean config, start copying things over. I would start with replace_metadata and in/exclude_metadata.

Once you figure out which part broke it, comment out all its lines with ## and then uncomment them one at a time until it breaks again.

Also note that occasionally interactions between two different lines can break things - extraneous spaces (after removal of '(Video Game)' or something) resulting in failed matches is one I occasionally bump into.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 05-23-2023 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 05:46 PM   #26
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
For trying to figure out tricky config issues, my suggestion is a bit tedious but it does help the few times I've done it. Create a new library (just call it 'Test'). Don't use the 'copy library structure' as that also copies personal.ini.

Create a few basic columns. Also I'd set the username/pass in personal.ini just to make things less tedious. Once you confirm that it's working on a (mostly) clean config, start copying things over. I would start with replace_metadata and in/exclude_metadata.

Once you figure out which part broke it, comment out all its lines with ## and then uncomment them one at a time until it breaks again.

Also note that occasionally interactions between two different lines can break things - extraneous spaces (after removal of '(Video Game)' or something) resulting in failed matches is one I occasionally bump into.
Sadly I've already done that without success. To be clear, you are getting "genre / additional tags" information in your Calibre for restricted stories?

Thanks,
Amalthia
Old 05-23-2023, 05:47 PM   #27
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Sorry - I forgot to mention I had the 'config troubleshooting' bit typed out in advance and posted it despite its not-helpfulness in this case. If it's failing to show in saved metadata, I'd report it as it's failing to scrape from site.

AO3 recently made some anti-bot measures so that may be interfering.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 05-23-2023 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 05:55 PM   #28
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I had to look through my library a bit for a login-restricted story. What I got in saved metadata column matches what I had before.
Old 05-23-2023, 06:09 PM   #29
Amalthia
Wizard

Going back a few years none of the restricted stories have "genre" information populating the genre column. I don't think this is a recent change to AO3. That's why i was trying to find out from other people if it's just my Calibre or if it's a AO3 or FFF problem.
Old 05-23-2023, 06:11 PM   #30
Amalthia
Wizard

I think what is most frustrating is I'm using the same settings as everyone else and the "genre" works for non-restricted stories but as soon as it's restricted the "genre" metadata download fails. All the other metadata comes through though...hence I'm completely baffled. It would make more sense if "characters," "relationships," "collections," and "warnings" would all fail to download, but it's just "genre."