Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-08-2022, 03:19 PM   #46
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
On the other hand, the current implementation takes more menu space -- in effect two lines per search for searches that exist as bare and with children. This is the situation @ownedbycats is seeing.
Yep, but that point only comes up if you specifically create a root element. So it's easy for the user to choose between having 2 lines or slightly renaming the root to make it a child depending on what they think is most relevant to this search.

foo , foo.search1 , foo.search2 => foo.All , foo.search1 , foo.search2

This kind of small subtlety, even if it comes from constraint, are a good plus once understood.

Last edited by un_pogaz; 11-08-2022 at 03:22 PM.
un_pogaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 03:26 PM   #47
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by un_pogaz View Post
Yep, but that point only comes up if you specifically create a root element. So it's easy for the user to choose between having 2 lines or slightly renaming the root to make it a child depending on what they think is most relevant to this search.

foo , foo.search1 , foo.search2 => foo.All , foo.search1 , foo.search2
For one specific case, I have a 'Cleanup' search that encompasses several subsearches, which also execute subsearches — it's less cumbersome than all queries in one search, and lets me narrow down issues.

Code:
(search:"=Cleanup.Identifier Issues")
OR (search:"=Cleanup.Misc Issues")
OR (search:"=Cleanup.Missing Metadata")
If I wished to avoid double-entries, that means I couldn't just click on 'Cleanup' or 'Cleanup.Missing Metadata' and would have to instead check all of these individually for issues:

Cleanup.Identifier Issues.Convert ISBN-10s
Cleanup.Identifier Issues.Missing ao3: Identifier
Cleanup.Identifier Issues.Missing ffnet: identifier
Cleanup.Identifier Issues.Missing gutenberg: identifier
Cleanup.Identifier Issues.Missing odid: identifier
Cleanup.Identifier Issues.Missing standard: identifier
Cleanup.Misc Issues.Errored Fanfics
Cleanup.Misc Issues.Has Cleanup tag
Cleanup.Misc Issues.Has original_epub
Cleanup.Misc Issues.Incomplete fanfics
Cleanup.Misc Issues.Incorrect #kobopath
Cleanup.Misc Issues.No Formats
Cleanup.Missing Metadata.Missing Book Type
Cleanup.Missing Metadata.Missing Chapter Count
Cleanup.Missing Metadata.Missing Kobo Fields
Cleanup.Missing Metadata.Missing Language
Cleanup.Missing Metadata.Missing Page Count
Cleanup.Missing Metadata.Missing Tags
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-11-08 16_28_50-.png
Views:	43
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	197607  

Last edited by ownedbycats; 11-08-2022 at 03:29 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2022, 03:58 PM   #48
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
For one specific case, I have a 'Cleanup' search that encompasses several subsearches, which also execute subsearches — it's less cumbersome than all queries in one search, and lets me narrow down issues.

Code:
(search:"=Cleanup.Identifier Issues")
OR (search:"=Cleanup.Misc Issues")
OR (search:"=Cleanup.Missing Metadata")
If I wished to avoid double-entries, that means I couldn't just click on 'Cleanup' or 'Cleanup.Missing Metadata' and would have to instead check all of these individually for issues:
He is suggesting that the top-level "Cleanup" search be renamed "Cleanup.All" (or some such). This would move the search into the menu instead of it being duplicated at the top level. By picking the right name it would also appear at the top of the list. Instead of this

Name:	Clipboard01.png
Views:	43
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	197608

you would get this

Name:	Clipboard02.png
Views:	39
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	197609

This method puts the results in the hands of the user, getting the layout you want.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 05:07 PM   #49
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That makes sense.
Old 11-08-2022, 06:48 PM   #50
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Here's what I did:

Name:	2022-11-08 19_47_39-Window.png
Views:	153
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	197614

A thought: would it make sense to sort folders and searches pesarately, similar to how Windows Explorer handles folders and files? On one hand, it makes sense, but on the other it means the user can't order it the way they want by manipulating the names. (I'm not inclined one way or the other.)

Also, just curious: Is it possible for me to override folder_saved_search.png for only the menu options and not the toolbar buttons? I find it hard to look at scaled down—it's probably designed for light mode.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 11-09-2022 at 12:37 AM.
Advert
Old 11-09-2022, 02:44 AM   #51
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Rereading this thread, I've remembered that I can remove a plugin I copied (it was posted in the forum) aegons ago, for adding saved searches to book context menu. Thank you (I already have a lot of plugins, if I can remove one it's fine).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 05:23 AM   #52
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
A thought: would it make sense to sort folders and searches pesarately, similar to how Windows Explorer handles folders and files? On one hand, it makes sense, but on the other it means the user can't order it the way they want by manipulating the names. (I'm not inclined one way or the other.)
This isn't something I want to do. Cans of worms, No good deed goes unpunished, etc.
Quote:
Also, just curious: Is it possible for me to override folder_saved_search.png for only the menu options and not the toolbar buttons? I find it hard to look at scaled down—it's probably designed for light mode.
No. it gets the icon from the theme, dark or light. I don't want to introduce another icon for the same thing. You can of course change the icon in the dark theme to something more to your liking, but it will be shown in both places.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 05:56 AM   #53
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Yeah, that's what I figured. I'll just track down an icon that doesn't hurt my eyes as much. Or just tweak the colours of the existing one and drop it in overrides.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 11-09-2022 at 06:04 AM.
Old 11-09-2022, 06:06 AM   #54
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I copied the shades from the 'edit metadata' and 'get books' buttons. Less painful.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2022-11-09 07_05_27-Window.png
Views:	145
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	197622