Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-17-2022, 10:45 PM   #16
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
I couldn't wait and now I'm running from source, here's how it looks:

Click image for larger version

Name:	MWSnap0860 2022-10-17, 23_30_57.png
Views:	71
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	197242

In my use case, this will be especially useful to remember regex searches like the ones in the pic attached!

Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 02:59 AM   #17
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I do think it might make sense to copy the three options from the search bar menu (add, manage, get expression) here. Maybe for slightly selfish reasons; personally I try to avoid the menu because the damned thing fills up a third of the screen (no exaggeration; see attached screenshot).
I agree.
In a similar idea, I guess it is not possible to apply the hierarchy arrangement to the "Default search button"?
Anyway, adding an option in Preference>Search to toggle "Display the saved search button at the right of the search bar" (op-in), would be nice. Since we have the possibility to display this menu where we prefer, it's a duplicate.

Last edited by un_pogaz; 10-18-2022 at 03:18 AM.
un_pogaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2022, 05:27 AM   #18
georgemk
Addict
georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Nia
Quote:
EDIT: Here's a screenshit:
Freudian slip ?
georgemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 08:32 AM   #19
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I had forgotten that there can be a single button on the search tool bar. I had the tweak set to show me the original interface that doesn't use the button.

That button and the action now show the same menu, both with hierarchical menus. This means that the "Manage" lines are now in the saved search action as well. The both use the dedicated saved search icons.

Name:	Clipboard02.png
Views:	191
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	197247

The keyboard shortcut code has been improved to try harder to position the saved searches menu under the toolbar or menu item for it. If it fails because no toolbar or menu is available (or usable) then it positions the menu in the upper left corner of the booklist, like this:

Name:	Clipboard04.png
Views:	55
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	197249

EDIT: The keyboard shortcut for Saved Search doesn't work in current source. I hope to fix it today. Fixed.

Last edited by chaley; 10-18-2022 at 10:00 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 08:34 AM   #20
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by un_pogaz View Post
In a similar idea, I guess it is not possible to apply the hierarchy arrangement to the "Default search button"?
Done
Quote:
Anyway, adding an option in Preference>Search to toggle "Display the saved search button at the right of the search bar" (op-in), would be nice. Since we have the possibility to display this menu where we prefer, it's a duplicate.
If I do this (I'm not sure yet) then it will be opt-out. The button must show in a new calibre install.
Advert
Old 10-18-2022, 09:50 AM   #21
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
If I do this (I'm not sure yet) then it will be opt-out. The button must show in a new calibre install.
Oh, yes, of course. "op-in" Option On by default.
(probably not the right term)

And thanks, that realy a great improvement.
Old 10-18-2022, 01:47 PM   #22
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemk View Post
Freudian slip ?
Yes, lol.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 10:46 PM   #23
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
That button and the action now show the same menu, both with hierarchical menus. This means that the "Manage" lines are now in the saved search action as well. The both use the dedicated saved search icons.
Attachment 197247
That works well
Old 10-19-2022, 11:59 AM   #24
un_pogaz
Chalut o/

Wait? what did you do??

*Update local code*
*launch calibre-dev.bat*

Wow.
That's... powerful.
It is beyond all expectations.

Thanks a lot.

Ah, little erratic/inconsistent behavior/bug: When you "Hide/Show the text next to the buttons in the search bar", when confirming the change in Preference>Search, the option are apply only on the "default" button 'Search' and 'Highlight result'. You need to close the complet Preference windows so that it can be applied to others. But detail.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture d’écran 2022-10-19 173958.png
Views:	57
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	197259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture d’écran 2022-10-19 174934.png
Views:	51
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	197260  

Last edited by un_pogaz; 10-19-2022 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-19-2022, 01:10 PM   #25
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by un_pogaz View Post
Wait? what did you do??

*Update local code*
*launch calibre-dev.bat*

Wow.
That's... powerful.
It is beyond all expectations.

Thanks a lot.
You are a bit in advance. Kovid and I are still working on some details related to button behavior and menus. At this point the search bar buttons behave a bit differently from the same button on a tool bar. Specifically buttons that 'do something' when clicked on the toolbar (e.g., edit metadata) show a menu on the search bar. I have a fix but I need to test it more.
Quote:
Ah, little erratic/inconsistent behavior/bug: When you "Hide/Show the text next to the buttons in the search bar", when confirming the change in Preference>Search, the option are apply only on the "default" button 'Search' and 'Highlight result'. You need to close the complet Preference windows so that it can be applied to others. But detail.
Thanks. Fixed.

Explanation: un_pogaz suggested being able to remove the built-in saved searches action from the search bar. While looking at that I decided a better solution would be to allow customization of that bar in the same way as other toolbars. Now you can add actions to the right of the built-in "Search"/Highlight buttons using Preferences / Toolbars / The buttons on the search bar. There is an option in Preferences / Search to add or remove the button text (name) from the buttons.
Old 10-19-2022, 01:56 PM   #26
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I pulled the new source and got this error trying to launch:

Quote:
calibre, version 6.7.1
ERROR: Startup error: There was an error during calibre startup. Parts of calibre may not function. Click "Show details" to learn more.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "D:\Documents\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\main.py ", line 315, in initialize_db_stage2
File "D:\Documents\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\main.py ", line 258, in start_gui
File "D:\Documents\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\ui. py", line 367, in initialize
File "D:\Documents\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\search_ restriction_mixin.py", line 482, in apply_virtual_library
File "D:\Documents\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\search_ restriction_mixin.py", line 644, in _apply_search_restriction
AttributeError: 'Main' object has no attribute 'saved_search'
It appeared in the system tray, but the UI failed to appear.

I have Calibre start on a specific VL, which may be related as one of the errors is in 'apply_virtual_library'.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-19-2022 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-19-2022, 02:04 PM   #27
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I switched back to stable and disabled my 'virtual library to apply...'. That fixed it.

EDIT: The error occurs whenever I switch VL tabs.

EDIT: It also happens upon pretty much anything affecting VLs. Trying to modify one? Error! Rearrange tabs? Error!!!

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-19-2022 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-19-2022, 02:25 PM   #28
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Opened a ticket: https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1993574
Old 10-19-2022, 04:39 PM   #29
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks for reporting this.

All the various problems arise because of one mistake I made, leaving one reference to a removed API.

I pushed the fix as part of responding to Kovid's comments on the search tool bar.
Old 10-19-2022, 06:35 PM   #30
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Honestly, I find it a little funny when a single line of code can cause so many things to break.