Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-01-2022, 01:40 PM   #16
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I'm not sure. I pulled the latest source and when I loaded again it was like that. Resizing the preferences window didn't change it. Perhaps it's something to do with the font I'm using (Calibri 11pt).
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 01:42 PM   #17
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, this. It hasn't appeared in github actions yet but I see it in sourcetree.

Code:
Commit: 8fcd59ce3431a17f1a6d53883832abc88799d066 [8fcd59c]
Parents: 98b4b9a3c2
Author: Kovid Goyal <kovid@kovidgoyal.net>
Date: February 1, 2022 10:34:55 PM
Committer: Kovid Goyal
Use a list instead of tabs for Preferences->Look & feel
Advert
Old 02-01-2022, 01:55 PM   #18
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I just re-fetched the source and two commits by Kovid appeared. The first is what you noticed. The second is changing the cover grid dialog in look/feel to move the tabs to the top from the side.

This is better. The number of tabs in look & feel made the window too wide, and the new code neatly deals with it.

Last edited by chaley; 02-01-2022 at 02:01 PM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 01:57 PM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
What did you do to make the tabs go down the left hand side instead of at the top?

I sorta like that look. Option please
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 01:58 PM   #20
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Yeah, I noticed the tabs were already a little crowded, and then adding another one...
Advert
Old 02-01-2022, 02:03 PM   #21
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

I sorta like that look. Option please
Run from source, or wait until the next update.
Old 02-01-2022, 02:09 PM   #22
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Thought: Would it make sense for there to be a button/link at the bottom of the MDE field list to open hidden fields in an additional window? This would make them still accessible.
Not a bad idea but it would be a lot of work, more than I want to take on now.
Old 02-01-2022, 02:17 PM   #23
capink
Wizard
capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
What did you do to make the tabs go down the left hand side instead of at the top?
I haven't installed 5.35 as I am using the latest beta instead, but the icons on the left looks much better than at the top, also more accessible.
capink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 02:18 PM   #24
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Run from source, or wait until the next update.
I currently do not run from source (but I do have the beta on another system )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 05:12 PM   #25
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I changed my mind for a few reasons.

1) Tweaks aren't suitable for this in the face of multiple libraries. I can see someone wanting to show #bar in library1 but not in library2. I didn't want to invent a syntax for lists that select libraries.

2) As BetterRed pointed out, typing lists of lookup names isn't easy, especially as a restart is required for every attempt.

3) Maintaining the tweak in the face of column additions and changes isn't easy.

(I see on rereading BetterRed's post that he said all of the above.)

Preferences / Look & feel is the right place for this. That said, I am not totally happy with it. The dialog looks rather empty. Eventually other stuff might go there.

Samples:
As the other Charles might have exclaimed - Good grief

I like the vertical tabs - more please.

I'll have a look at the latest 5.99 beta.

Quote:
Eventually other stuff might go there.
Perhaps a replication of the check boxes and column ordering in Add your own columns, and a View Manager Lite.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-01-2022 at 05:40 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 05:39 PM   #26
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I'll have a look at the latest 5.99 beta.
It's not in 5.99.4, I assume it will be in 5.99.5.

BR
Old 02-01-2022, 05:59 PM   #27
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@chaley - curious: what is the column type of your authtext column etc, it doesn't look like it's long text, looks more like multi-line text.

Annnnd - long text columns don't appear in bulk edit, but it would be nice if they could be 'cleared' from bulk.

BR
Old 02-01-2022, 06:04 PM   #28
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Hm, maybe a taglike? I see the item editor button beside it in one of the screenshots.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:05 PM   #29
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@chaley - curious: what is the column type of your authtext column etc, it doesn't look like it's long text, looks more like multi-line text.
authtest? "Ampersand separated text, shown in the tag browser", which is "Comma separated text, like tags, shown in the tag browser" with the "Contains names" box checked.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:15 PM   #30
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I see a new row in the preferences table of metadata.db named edit_metadata_custom_columns_to_display. Just curious: Is it backwards-compatible with the latest stable? I'd hate for my settings to get wiped out because I accidentally clicked the wrong shortcut. (I really need to find a different icon for it...)

Last edited by ownedbycats; 02-01-2022 at 06:18 PM.