Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-22-2022, 06:41 PM   #46
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mblrdr View Post
I only called it trash because this is an unnescessary concept imho. Sorry about the wording.

I wouldn't be so pushy if I hadn't nearly all my software in portable form. None of these uses such a concept (different between portable vs non-portable) but I guess I'll find a solution. There are lot of sites which do portable versions of "install only" programs.

Remembering the last library does not need \AppData at all if done the right way (for example an *.ini file).

Still I'd like to know the developers standpoint.

Don't get me wrong I really like calibre. It's awsome.
Installed Calibre has .INI files galore (except they are primarily .json files), they are a carbon copy of what's in Calibre Portable\Calibre Settings folder. The reason they are in AppData is to allow different users to have different settings. Example: Mary Nerk likes to have Segoe UI [9pt] as the Interface font, Fred Nerk prefers Papyrus [12pt]. Calibre accommodates that by having the settings in AppData. This can be dispensed with via the CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY Environment Variable.

The only 'settings' that calibre puts in the registry are those that Windows needs to know about, such as the registration of the calibre:// protocol handler.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-22-2022 at 06:51 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:49 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Here we go you left me no choice

http://portableappz.blogspot.c*m/201...tilingual.html

*fully* portable and done "the better way"

In this you find:

CalibrePortable.ini

[CalibrePortable]
CheckRegWrite=true
AllowMultipleInstances=false
Library=Users\user\Downloads\Calibre x64 portable\Library <
DisableSplashScreen=false
SplashScreenName=

Cheers

@kovidgoyal see that? Be inspired.
You have it all wrong! Calibre Portable can keep your library wherever you want without the need for this ini file to point to your library.

Does this mean that using the version of Calibre Portable with the ini that that is the only place the library can be or is that the place it defaults to when you run it?

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-22-2022 at 07:01 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2022, 12:36 PM   #48
mblrdr
Enthusiast
mblrdr began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Installed Calibre has .INI files galore (except they are primarily .json files), they are a carbon copy of what's in Calibre Portable\Calibre Settings folder. The reason they are in AppData is to allow different users to have different settings. Example: Mary Nerk likes to have Segoe UI [9pt] as the Interface font, Fred Nerk prefers Papyrus [12pt]. Calibre accommodates that by having the settings in AppData. This can be dispensed with via the CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY Environment Variable.

The only 'settings' that calibre puts in the registry are those that Windows needs to know about, such as the registration of the calibre:// protocol handler.

BR
Ok thanks for clearing that up.

Still installed calibre remembers the last used library while calibre portable does not. Despite the files in \AppData beeing carbon copies of each other.

So why is that? Were is the difference buried?
And (dare I ask) why is there a difference at all? Is it in the name"calibre-portable.exe"? Because calibre portable *has* to create that library folder on each start to be in a consistent state? Is that what "works as intended" is all about? Work as intended would be to open the last library...

Last edited by mblrdr; 09-23-2022 at 12:46 PM.
mblrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 12:44 PM   #49
mblrdr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You have it all wrong! Calibre Portable can keep your library wherever you want without the need for this ini file to point to your library.
That's not what my question is about. It's about remembering the last library.
Old 09-23-2022, 02:24 PM   #50
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
That's not what my question is about. It's about remembering the last library.
Because only libraries stored IN the Portable structure are guaranteed to be there next start. (assumes rodents do not use the FS between sessions)
OTOH Portable is expected to move between systems. Anything outside of ./ may not be present (or a different path).
KISS say, just say NO, rather than accommodate all the OS quirks.

You chose to use it differently. Not wrong except you seem to expect the Devs to change their philosophy to satisfy you odd usage. Kovid said NO (he has said yes on occasion, but it is amazing how many bases he DID cover in the design )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2022, 06:18 PM   #51
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ok thanks for clearing that up.

Still installed calibre remembers the last used library while calibre portable does not. Despite the files in \AppData beeing carbon copies of each other.

So why is that? Were is the difference buried?
And (dare I ask) why is there a difference at all? Is it in the name"calibre-portable.exe"? Because calibre portable *has* to create that library folder on each start to be in a consistent state? Is that what "works as intended" is all about? Work as intended would be to open the last library...
The DESIGN INTENT of Calibre Portable is that it be completely self-contained so that it can reside on a removable device that can be attached to computers over which the user has limited control - think libraries, internet cafes and slack workplaces. It will remember ALL libraries inside the Calibre Portable folder, but not those elsewhere - even on the same device.

See the attached image, I could post that THUMB drive to you and you'd be able to fire up its copy of calibre portable and access Fred, Mary and Zac's Libraries with my settings and plugins.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	196738  
Old 09-23-2022, 06:26 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What's the reason for using the portable Calibre instead of the non-portable Calibre?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 05:14 AM   #53
mblrdr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Because only libraries stored IN the Portable structure are guaranteed to be there next start. (assumes rodents do not use the FS between sessions)
OTOH Portable is expected to move between systems. Anything outside of ./ may not be present (or a different path).
KISS say, just say NO, rather than accommodate all the OS quirks.

You chose to use it differently. Not wrong except you seem to expect the Devs to change their philosophy to satisfy you odd usage. Kovid said NO (he has said yes on occasion, but it is amazing how many bases he DID cover in the design )
What's the point of your post?

I use calibre portable "as intended" and I'm annoyed that it doesn't remember and select the last used library *at all*

Plus it doesn't *if that library is outside the forced structure*.

Plus it always creates its default library folder.

Plus it shows that created default library in "quick switch" (even if not used).

No other portable software I use is this unflexible and forces the user to adapt while the software should adapt to the user.

I would simply never tie my portable software to my data (that is: be forced to use calibre portable and have all the library data *inside the portable folder*). Bad concept.

Do you have your .doc or .xls files "inside" Word or Excel?

You don't "wrap" your software around your data. Kovid does here.

And yes the developer does a hell of a job. Calibre is fantastic.

Last edited by mblrdr; 09-24-2022 at 05:37 AM.
Old 09-24-2022, 05:16 AM   #54
mblrdr
Enthusiast

Quote:
The DESIGN INTENT of Calibre Portable is that it be completely self-contained so that it can reside on a removable device that can be attached to computers over which the user has limited control - think libraries, internet cafes and slack workplaces. It will remember ALL libraries inside the Calibre Portable folder, but not those elsewhere - even on the same device.

See the attached image, I could post that THUMB drive to you and you'd be able to fire up its copy of calibre portable and access Fred, Mary and Zac's Libraries with my settings and plugins.

BR
Thanks again. I understand the concept.

That design intend is questionable if the concept "forces" the data inside the portable folder and has not the ability to change that. See above posting.

Last edited by mblrdr; 09-24-2022 at 05:49 AM.
Old 09-24-2022, 05:19 AM   #55
mblrdr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What's the reason for using the portable Calibre instead of the non-portable Calibre?
Portable software can be used on a different computer. Or on a seperate partition. You can give away a preconfigured software to another person.You can seperate soft and data. You can reinstall your OS and still have all the software setup your way...

Read the whole posting to get a glimpse.

Last edited by mblrdr; 09-24-2022 at 05:43 AM.
Old 09-24-2022, 06:40 AM   #56
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@mblrdr - the raison d'être for most 'portable' software is to sever the application from the Windows registry.

Installed calibre already does that, all of its application settings are in its "configuration folder" - the raison d'être for doing that is to support a range of operating/file system platforms.

As you no doubt know, calibre is open source software, why don't you download the source and change it to fit your expectations.

BR
Old 09-24-2022, 08:10 AM   #57
mblrdr
Enthusiast

Quote:
@mblrdr - the raison d'être for most 'portable' software is to sever the application from the Windows registry.

Installed calibre already does that, all of its application settings are in its "configuration folder" - the raison d'être for doing that is to support a range of operating/file system platforms.

As you no doubt know, calibre is open source software, why don't you download the source and change it to fit your expectations.

BR
The purpuse for software is to simplfy a task or to help the user in a certain way to reach a goal.

I don't do it by myself because I'm neither a developer nor a programmer.

So I adress the developer with a problem and exchange arguments in a forum. Isn't that the purpose of the forum?

Men's purpose is to make a change.

"Do it yourself" is no answer in this case unfortunately.

So let's get back to the topic and the arguments and challenge the status quo of calibre portable.

Last edited by mblrdr; 09-24-2022 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-24-2022, 01:25 PM   #58
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Portable allows a user to run from a a external drive on a Public (or Company) Computer without ADMIN rights.
Everything else is gravy.
Use the tool AS DESIGNED and quit whining that the Devs don't do it your way.
There are over 3M users that use Calibre as delivered.
There are ??K that left because it would not work the way THEY wanted. (If they did not violate MR terms of use, those posts are still on the forum)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 07:23 PM   #59
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
So I adress the developer with a problem and exchange arguments in a forum. Isn't that the purpose of the forum?
Nope - the primary purpose of the forum is to help people make use of calibre to manage their ebook libraries, and have it interoperate with their devices and related software.

The problem is is your mind, you want Calibre Portable to work in way that would make it Calibre Non-portable and you refuse accept that Installed Calibre is specifically designed to do what you seem to want - to separate application function from application data.

BR
Old 09-25-2022, 04:18 AM   #60
mblrdr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Nope - the primary purpose of the forum is to help people make use of calibre to manage their ebook libraries, and have it interoperate with their devices and related software.

The problem is is your mind, you want Calibre Portable to work in way that would make it Calibre Non-portable and you refuse accept that Installed Calibre is specifically designed to do what you seem to want - to separate application function from application data.

BR
I want both versions to be consistent.

Ok I get it that this is the wrong place then and I appreciate all your time and help up to this point folks.

I head over to github.