Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-09-2008, 07:39 AM   #1
barryp
barryp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader (PRS-505)
Question Update Problem and Dictionary Question

I have just brought one of the Sony Readers in the UK (from Waterstones).

I installed the eBook Library and it appears to work OK, but I tried "Check for Updates" (I always do with new SW) and I get the message "Server Error" almost straight away

I have tried this since last Thursday in case its a temporary problem, but I still get it. Is anyone else having this problem or is it just me?

Also I have read all the comments about no dictionary on the Sony Reader and not being able to search etc.

If I DO want a dictionary and are happy to just flip through it like a normal dictionary, are there any options in Adobe or LRF formats out there? The only ones I have found (Collins/Webster/Oxford English) are only in Mobi Format.

Barry
barryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:32 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryp View Post
I have tried this since last Thursday in case its a temporary problem, but I still get it. Is anyone else having this problem or is it just me?
It's just you! :-)

I'd suspect that your PC's got a firewall that's blocking the app's outgoing access. As for dictionaries, I've no idea, I'm afraid.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
Mikesbook
Enthusiast
Mikesbook began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
I have the same "server error" when checking for updates on the Sony ebook library. I asked for help on this yesterday in another thread but have had no replies. I have tried dropping my firewall and other protection but still get the "Server Error" reported.

I have Sony ebook library v2.3; XP Home: Kaspersky Internet Security V9. I am in the UK

Last edited by Mikesbook; 09-10-2008 at 03:14 AM.
Mikesbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
barryp

I am using 2.3.00.05290 build on Windows Vista Home Premium (32 bit)

Not sure if its significant.

Does anyone know if the update server URL/IP address or anything is stored in a file or registry setting I can check?

Tried turning off my McAfee Firewall, made no difference. The speed it comes back I am not convinced it is even getting that far?

Anyone any thoughts?

Barry
Old 09-10-2008, 04:55 AM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Hmm - not sure then (I've got the V2.2 on WinXP so can't be sure how similar it is.)

If you're technical, maybe try something like Fiddler2 set as a proxy or some other proxy-server run locally to see what traffic there is, but I'm not sure how feasible that in Vista, so can't help with detailed steps...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2008, 05:28 AM   #6
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
Mine does the same thing too.

Windows XP Professional SP2, Commodo Firewall pro

Like you say, it happens so fast, its instant so it doesn't appear to even try LOL
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:49 AM   #7
Mikesbook
Enthusiast
Mikesbook began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Sony Reply to "Server Error Occurred" problem:-

Just to update anybody interested I spoke to Sony UK Support today and they had not heard of this problem but when they tried the same thing on their computer it resulted in this error. However they were unable to tell me when or if the server would be fixed and did not even know where the server was located
Mikesbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:07 AM   #8
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
Thanks for the info. Nice to hear they are on the issue LOL
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:56 AM   #9
barryp

Seems they fixed the update problem, it now says there is no update available...